The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Boxes, tubes & bags :: Magic Tea Kettle (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Here is an excellent book on the "Magic Tea Kettle Book" - "Any Drink Called for"by Jeffery Atkins from England. It is an old book, but worth reading.

http://www.abbottmagic.com/Magic-Tea-Ket......oryId=-1
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3695 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Only liquid and fire, moving silk or rope can add the sort of life and energy to a stage act that an animal does.

I don't use animals in my act, so I use as much "lively" movement effects as I can.

I use 14 feet of rope in the Mongolian Pop-Knot, I use 24" silks for the half-dyed hank or sucker silk to egg.

I break a lot of eggs, and I use liquid and fire as much as possible.

Fire is more and more problematic in modern stage settings...

I think it is very wise to add liquid effects to a stage show, even if it requires some management.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Quote:
On 2012-05-30 15:08, Pop Haydn wrote:
...I think it is very wise to add liquid effects to a stage show, even if it requires some management.

I agree with the whole post (I too use fire and water in my stage acts). Besides, when you use water - no matter what the effect is that you are using it in/for - people seem mystified by it and by how you can possibly manage/harness such an "un-manageable" and free-flowing element...
ProfessorJinksy
View Profile
New user
Italy
93 Posts

Profile of ProfessorJinksy
Can some one please tell me in what ways Steinmeyer's Kettle Version from Magic Magazine and Conjuring Anthology differs from his Hospitality illusion? I am referring to effect here, not method. Thanks.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2012-08-05 14:58, ProfessorFelix wrote:
Can some one please tell me in what ways Steinmeyer's Kettle Version from Magic Magazine and Conjuring Anthology differs from his Hospitality illusion? I am referring to effect here, not method. Thanks.

The Steinmeyer #51 "The Accommodating Kettle" is a presentation piece with a small tea kettle and some plastic glasses. Liquid is poured form a bottle of Coke into a small kettle. The routine and patter is a demonstration of the power of suggestion and misdirection in magic. The trick pours different drinks from the kettle. Some asked for some not.

From your Avatar, you are to young to do this trick, as it uses beer.

The effect is basically the same, as "Any Drink Called For" was his starting point for this version, the difference is in the methodology, presentation, and props.
ProfessorJinksy
View Profile
New user
Italy
93 Posts

Profile of ProfessorJinksy
Thanks, Bill. I am 34 this month, but glad to know that I still have that youthful glow.

Are the drinks consumed or verified in his presentation? Is the kettle he uses similar to the Grant/Mak style kettle?

Your knowledge is appreciated.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2012-08-05 17:06, ProfessorFelix wrote:
Thanks, Bill. I am 34 this month, but glad to know that I still have that youthful glow.

Are the drinks consumed or verified in his presentation? Is the kettle he uses similar to the Grant/Mak style kettle?

Your knowledge is appreciated.

Audience members do taste the drinks, the kettle is like the small Kettle U.F. Grant use sell. It is a small aluminum tea pot, don't know if you could find them today, if you have a Chinese section of town near you, the best would be to go shopping in Chinese stores. I had at one time the small Grant tea kettle. Sorry I got rid of it now. Beside that you will have to gimmick it yourself. That may be a problem for some. Soldering tin or hunting for things to fit correctly.

This does not use the large Kettle that is on the market, but I guess you could try it. The gimmick that come with the Kettle will not work with this method. If you could find an original Grant Kettle from the 1960's, I think that one was made like what is needed. Mak Magic changed the gimmick, I would imagine do to availability or ease of manufacturing.

Sorry to bring some bad news, but it will take some doing to gimmick any Kettle or Tea Pot. Nothing ready made will work with this idea in the book.
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Quote:
On 2012-05-30 15:08, Pop Haydn wrote:

I think it is very wise to add liquid effects to a stage show, even if it requires some management.

In my kids show I use a pitcher to pour milk in a child's ear, then a funnel to reclaim the milk from an elbow, which spills into a clown bucket and becomes confetti. Then I pour what's left of the pitcher into the small cup for Multum In Parvo up to a big glass. This is finally poured into the last glass where the milk vanishes and becomes silk.

It's a giant pain in the keester to set this up and then put it away! But I always do it.
KIDDMAGIC
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of KIDDMAGIC
I love this effect and always get a great reaction from it. I took my gimmick from my old Mak Magic kettle and mounted it in a more contemporary model I bought at Walmart.
Even less known as David Kidd

Baltimore, Md. Curator of

THE MAGIC OF BALTIMORE
harbour
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of harbour
I agree with Pete. Further, if you want to do the magic tea kettle, step it up a notch.
Make it different.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2013-03-24 23:34, harbour wrote:
I agree with Pete. Further, if you want to do the magic tea kettle, step it up a notch.
Make it different.

What does that mean?

Stevens Magic has stepped it up, more then a notch, about $7,000 more.

http://www.stevensmagic.com/index.php?ma......d=113452
KIDDMAGIC
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of KIDDMAGIC
I have an old Grant kettle that I no longer use because I had lost the cap. I bought a cheap one at Target, mounted the grant gimmick inside and decorated, I will post a pic. How could any tea kettle, magic, nuclear or otherwise, possibly be worth seven thousand dollars? I thought I had amped up my little routine by pouring out ten different "drinks" from "strawberry milk" to "orange juice.

THE MAGIC OF BALTIMORE
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2013-03-25 19:23, KIDDMAGIC wrote:
I have an old Grant kettle that I no longer use because I had lost the cap. I bought a cheap one at Target, mounted the grant gimmick inside and decorated, I will post a pic. How could any tea kettle, magic, nuclear or otherwise, possibly be worth seven thousand dollars? I thought I had amped up my little routine by pouring out ten different "drinks" from "strawberry milk" to "orange juice.

A kettle is worth seven thousand dollars when it can pour any drink named from the audience, hot or cold, and then present said drink to the person who requwested it for verification without doing a switch of the glass. It is Steve Cohen's signature feat. Properly done a reputation maker and worth every penny. I only wish I could afford one. Perhaps one will get sent to MUM for review Smile
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
KIDDMAGIC
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of KIDDMAGIC
Yes I've seen Mr. Cohen perform this on his TV special. Impressive, but unfortunately I don't think that gadget magic does much to build reputaions these days, but I could be wrong. I'll stick with my 15.99 from Target version! LOL!

THE MAGIC OF BALTIMORE
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
Quote:
On 2013-03-26 06:43, KIDDMAGIC wrote:
Yes I've seen Mr. Cohen perform this on his TV special. Impressive, but unfortunately I don't think that gadget magic does much to build reputaions these days, but I could be wrong. I'll stick with my 15.99 from Target version! LOL!

I think it depends on what kind of reputation you are trying to build. I personally love the Steve Cohen/ Kellar O'Neil presentation style. While every "style" of magic has its advantages and disadvantages, a good presentation in a great setting can elevate the experience to something the audience will never forget. And gadgets have been a big part of Parlor magic since the beginning.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Gadgets are magic, take a look at the late Tommy Wonder stage act. All mechanical gadgets, and he did not do bad for himself.

I found out, never say never, as I thought I would never perform some types of magic, and years later became interested and pursued it and was unable to gain the information I rejected at the time.
KIDDMAGIC
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of KIDDMAGIC
Well, to me. Tommy Wonder was at his best doing his stage manipulations, he is definitely one of my favorites of all time. Yeah Bill, I myself am fascinated with gadgetry. It's just that this particular gadget seems more mechanical than magical to me, if you get my meaning.

THE MAGIC OF BALTIMORE
Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
So I just got the MAK magic version, I've been working with a china teapot and decided I should get a back-up that will travel better. I got the MAK one because it's available in the UK. I have to say I'm not very impressed by the design of the kettle itself, which is one they've bought and adapted. It's really hard to get the top on and off. So difficult that when I took it off it went flying and the enamel (paint) has chipped off in several places. Now I'm going to have to file down the knob that's stopping the lid from going on and coming off and paint the lid.
My main concern though is that the gaff is attached at it's bottom with a screw and a washer. There's sealant to make it water-tight, but are they going to be food safe? If I put actual drinks in the centre, am I going to be poisoning my audience?
Funny how my china teapots have lasted me a couple of years working but I broke the steal/enamel version as soon as I got it out of the box and that version is designed by magicians for magicians?!
KIDDMAGIC
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of KIDDMAGIC
If you use sylicone aquarium sealant, it dries non-toxic of course. Are you saying your teapot has a screwhole in the bottom? If so, that is ridiculously bad engineering. Another tip is to carry a sealed container with the exact amount of water required to fill the tea pot with a small funnel.

THE MAGIC OF BALTIMORE
KIDDMAGIC
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of KIDDMAGIC

THE MAGIC OF BALTIMORE