The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! :: Werewolf + Vampire effects...know of any ? (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Magic_Mailman
View Profile
New user
Portland,Oregon
53 Posts

Profile of Magic_Mailman
I have been into creepy/spooky stuff since I was a kid and started doing magic about 3 years ago. Now I want to see if I can find a collection of Werewolf and Vampire effects. I wanted to put together something creepy for Halloween so if you have an effect or a title of a book or link to find such effects I would be in your debt.
Smile

Thanks , Tony
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2765 Posts

Profile of Jordini
Penn and Teller did something like that when I went to see them. I'd suggest a metamorphesus-type trick where you stand on something, lift up a sheet and change into a werewolf. Also, you could do a dove production with a bat, so you could vanish yourself under cover and release the bat. (Actually, now that I think of it, you could do a dove routine as a vampire producing bats!! That would be quite original, and I imagine it could win some competitions if done well). When you get to 50 posts, you can present all of this in secret sessions, and I and other magicians would be glad to help you with methods.
Magic_Mailman
View Profile
New user
Portland,Oregon
53 Posts

Profile of Magic_Mailman
That's why I love the Magic Café....That's an awesome idea Jordini! Smile
That alone could branch off into a whole show as a vampire.

Thanks , Tony
Smile
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Create your own!

You know you want to do some effect which involves a werewolf and a vampire.

Now look at what it is you want to accomplish, and the size of it. Do you want a production, a vanish, a transposition, etc.?

Do you want it to occur with an two assistant, alone, or with an audience volunteer?

Really give it some thought on what it is you want to do. Then take an existing effect with similar methods and adapt that method to the desired effect.

For instance do you want to change into a werewolf, well the blue room illusion can do that. Do you want to produce a silk with it on it, the 20th Century silks method can do this.

Now for links to some Haunting Areas:

Don't forget Paul Osborne's Haunted Illusion Book for around $40.00
Dennis Michael
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
In an old Invocation, there was a routine called Lycanthrope by Freidhoffer. Wonderful bit using your business card.

Check that one out - it's quite clever.

Also, remember: if you DO metamorphose into a Loup Garou, you WILL have to get your rabies shots and probably a license as well!

Song:

Loup Garou (to the tune of The Ballad of Cat Ballou)

He has the eyes of a human,
the claws of a werewolf

The heart of a human,
the fangs of a werewolf!

This man is a human,
this man is a WEREWOLF!

And the call him Loup Garou!

Loup Garou!
Loup Garou!
He IS a werewolf through and through!

(with thanks to Murray Porath)

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
Smile Smile Smile
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
hackmonkey
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1093 Posts

Profile of hackmonkey
The idea of using bats instead of doves has been mentioned on this board quite a few times. I am not sure of how practical it would be, while doves are soft and feathery, bats have claws on thier wings as well as their feet. These could catch on fabric making them hard to 'produce'. Also I imagen that looking after bats would be much harder than looking after doves. I thought of producing two bats, one hanging of each finger a while ago but gave up on the idea.

But I love the image of it! Smile

There is a great werewolf routine in David Parrs book Brainfood. It may take you a while to collect the stuff needed to perform it, but the effect is great. I hope to perform this one day....
Look behind you...on your left...thats the real world.

http://www.instagram.com/JoePiperMagic
ptbeast
View Profile
Special user
Oregon
831 Posts

Profile of ptbeast
For a great idea of what can be done with a werewolf theme, see David Parr's Brain Food. His werewolf routine is very strong. Since you are in Portland, you can come check out my own werewolf routine at Theatre Macabre (part of Scream at the Beach at Janzen Beach Center). If you drop me a PM, I would be more than happy to hook you up out there.

Dave
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
You could just produce a fake rubber bat. Or several, for that matter. Pretend they're dead and let them drop to the floor. At the end of the show you could have "dead" bats littering the ground around you. Presented well, this could be kinda funny.

Just a thought.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Doug Byrd
View Profile
Veteran user
VA
361 Posts

Profile of Doug Byrd
HackMonkey makes a good point. Not only do you have the claw issues but they are VERY fragile little animal and would be more succeptible to harm or accidental death than doves.
I would stick to biting the heads off of rubber bats and doves. :0)

Doug
"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc"
Zack
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of Zack
I looked into the Bats-as-doves idea a long time ago.

Its illegal to own bats in most states in the US. You also have serious liability issues if one of your bats flies into the audience and bites somebody.

Crows are no good either...they go insane if kept in a cage.

(sigh)
Magic_Mailman
View Profile
New user
Portland,Oregon
53 Posts

Profile of Magic_Mailman
These are all great ideas and I thank you all for the input. I will have to look up the David Parr book...I should have said I was looking for close up material. I am more into close up but some of these ideas make me want to try my hand at some stage type effects. Again thanks , Tony

Smile
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Tony,

Somewhere there's a thread about Eugene Burger's effect, Dracula and the Sorority Girls. It's also in one of his books (can't remember which, I'll check when I get home). A humerous, close-up vampire card effect.

Oh, someone resurected it last night, it seems. It's near the top of the list.

Also, check out Neil Tobin's xpert device, it has a nice close-up vampire effect as well. Plus the device is just so cool. I'm sure you'll find a lot you can do with it.

Mark
Mark
What would Wavy do?
hackmonkey
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1093 Posts

Profile of hackmonkey
The David Parr effect can be done close-up as long as you have a table to sit at. It could be done at a dinner party if you were sat at the head of the table. It could even be done one on one if you were sat opposite someone.
Look behind you...on your left...thats the real world.

http://www.instagram.com/JoePiperMagic
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3076 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
I like the David Parr routine too.

There is also a surprising card routine called Prince Vlad that I put together with Anthony White; you can find it at dragonskull.co.uk (through the secret passage).

Lastly, I would be remiss if I didn't point out the Vampire Hunter routine included in my Xpert booklet:

A participant selects and signs a card to represent herself in the role of "vampire hunter."

To represent the vampire to be hunted, another card is signed on its back with an ankh, ancient symbol of the immortal; it is then lost within a packet of cards.

The participant insert he card face up into the packet anywhere she chooses: if she's a successful vampire hunter, the vampire will be found just beneath her card. But when the cards are spread fairly, the vampire card is gone (it really is; she/he can look through them herself).

But before the vampire fled, he apparently left the hunter with a parting gift -- eternal unrest. Because when her signed card is turned over, inscribed on its back is the vampire symbol!

This card is given to the participant as a truly bizarre souvenir.

Incidentally, the routine is virtually sleight-free (no double lifts or palming), and resets easily for walkaround.

My apologies for the shameless plug, but you did ask Smile
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!), Cut & Color, Hands-Off Multiple ESP (HOME) System, Rider-Waite Readers book, Zoom Pendulum ebook ...
Magic_Mailman
View Profile
New user
Portland,Oregon
53 Posts

Profile of Magic_Mailman
Once again thank you all for the input!! I am going to get the Parr book and the Xpert. Thanks for the info on your Xpert Neil...I am going to order one right away!

Thanks , Tony Smile
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6142 Posts

Profile of motown
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Https://youtu.be/2HPDbDmUmoM

The most complete thing about the subject

charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
780 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
Meir Yedid just advertised a vampire/werewolf effect by Paul Hallas on his web site.
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2020 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
Gemini Artifacts has offered a Kurotsuke prop--old wooden box, an old mesh bag, and five musket balls--four lead and one silver, all assigned to serve a werewolves theme.

Which reminds me of a a comedian's "advice" some years ago: "Never moon a werewolf."

George
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3830 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
I guess when it comes to blood sucking routines you just have to bite the bullet (or cross) and go with it..... Good luck.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie