The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Mentally Speaking :: Psychic Pad Folio by Banachek (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Rory Raven
View Profile
Special user
Providence, RI
514 Posts

Profile of Rory Raven
Like (I suspect) many others, I saw this on the Psi Series and thought it was a great idea, but I'm not in the least bit handy and knew I wouldn't be able to put something together myself and have it look like anything less than absolute ****e.

What's the folio itself made of? Leather? Vinyl? Something else?

Be well, all.

Rory
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -- Groucho Marx
visit www.roryraven.com today!
lucavolpe
View Profile
Inner circle
Italy - London
3352 Posts

Profile of lucavolpe
Is Vinyl and I order another one as back up copy!
Is really too good!
:)
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4008 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Quote:
On 2011-12-24 22:20, edh wrote:
David, please don't take this the wrong way, but you are going to purchase this not knowing what it is? If you don't know what it is how do you know whether you will use it or not?

Sorry...I've been away for a couple of weeks.

I should have been specific. I have a general idea what it is and how it works, having talked with some friends and most recently jheff (the guy I placed the order with) -- but the bottom line for me is the source. As I noted previously -- everything he puts out is remarkable, well thought out and beautifully produced. Again: "by a performer designed for performers."

If I didn't know the kind of quality Banachek offers, (ie: if it came from a source I am not familiar with) I would wait before ordering it.

Finally -- I have a completely selfish motive: great products from innovative producers deserve support from the community...so they will continue to share great products. So I will continue supporting them. (Gosh...if they stopped producing this stuff -- I'd have to think for myself. Perish the thought! Smile )

The difficulty I think with this particular prop is that it can do SO many things that people are having a hard time wrapping their minds around it. It's sort of like when I was talking with a new magician about ch*nge bags. He said "yeah, okay...but what's the TRICK?" There comes a time when you just inwardly roll your eyes, shake the guy's hand and walk away.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3065 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
I've had this for awhile and I must say it is a very nice prop that I'm very glad I have. It is well made and the work is done right under the nose of your spectator. I know if I were to attempt to make this myself it would not look close to this good. The routines you learn are good solid mentalism. It was NOT what I thought it would be but I'm happy it is what it is.

Good magic to all,

Eric
Alexander Marsh
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1191 Posts

Profile of Alexander Marsh
Finnally had a chance to sit down and add my comments on the pad.

Although I contributed an idea to the CD that comes with the pad, I don't feel I'm being biased saying this is a great product.

Having made one after watching Banachek's DVD's a few years back, which had long since fallen apart, this is by far stronger and better. Its purpose built for the task, so doesn't have a clip-board style clip like the one I made way back when, which really helps the illusion.

Gregg's routine suggestions on the CD are great too. This is a proper utility prob, well worth having.
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4008 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
I buy a lot of props because I'm interested -- and besides, I make my living using them. The percentage of these props actually make their way into my show is generally much smaller. To avoid the dreaded DONR (Drawer of No Return where those props that just didn't work for me wind up) -- a prop needs to excite me, fit my show, offer new possibilities and (yes...I admit it) avoid complex handling. I don't want to spend six months learning a difficult move or learning to manipulate a complicated prop. I am much happier developing the actual presentation and interaction with the audience than sweating a hard-to-use prop.

I've had Banachek's Folio for a little over a week now and, while it hasn't made its way into my show -- my mind is still full of plans and schemes...and it's been nowhere near the Drawer of No Return.

I have been consistently impressed with its simplicity and utterly endless possibilities it offers. It's one of those forehead smackers: the ones where give yourself a headache and then say "Why didn't I think of this?"

The very best props are like that...often the simplest in concept. This is one of those. You'll find yourself looking at it and thinking hard about how it can be used, the many different ways with which it can be employed. It's a true utility prop in an age where REAL utility props are rare. Once you understand the concept, you'll be floored with how MANY things you can use it for.

It's not leather -- it's vinyl -- and there is some very basic jury-rigging you'll need to do before each show. I expect that after many many shows, it will wear out. The very good thing about this, of course, is that I think it WILL be used in many many shows.

Beautifully designed with a video that teaches all you really need to know about using this prop -- and a PDF packed with creative routines -- this prop rates a solid 9.5 out of 10 for me.

I am not sure that newer performers will really be able to grasp how MUCH power is packed into this one concept.

As I've already said: you can count on Banachek to provide solid props that he's USED and that experience is well represented in every aspect of the prop design. You need to look at the possibilities with this one because there are MANY.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
mike storz
View Profile
Inner circle
Orange, CT
1353 Posts

Profile of mike storz
I just saw this prop first hand at Tannens in NYC. It's awesome. If I had the extra cash I would have purchased it, even though I do kid shows!!! The guys there were wonderful too.
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3065 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
I used this in my show last week and it went over wonderfully. It was a good size show and when I did my drawing duplication one guy in the audience said "Ok who wrote that?" Before there was time for anyone to answer I said "Katrina---you like video games and this is what you wrote yes?" Katrina raised her hand and said "Yes!" I did one more Q&A and I had them! This is a keeper and it works very smoothly.

Good magic to all,

Eric
LukeBrady
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of LukeBrady
Just ordered it! I agree with David Thiel in that any product put out by Banachek himself has been through the ringer.
His lecture notes and the PS books are hands down one of the best items I own in the realm of Mind Reading!

A big THANK YOU to Banachek for releasing so much great material over the years, that clearly you could have kept to yourself so thank you.
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
3255 Posts

Profile of NeilS
I should be getting mine today and will comment later.
Isper
View Profile
Veteran user
398 Posts

Profile of Isper
How is this for close-up work? Or is geared more for stage work?
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
3255 Posts

Profile of NeilS
Although it would be better for stage work you could certainly use this for close up. Basically it is 'just' a folder or folio to keep a pad of paper in so if you would be comfortable having one in a small setting, you could certainly use it although some of the suggested routines that come with the folio would not be suitable.

I received mine yesterday and it is so simple and yet so deceptive in operation. Armed with this you can perform some diabolic feats, whether mind reading, predictions or in other ways. It really does have many possibilities as well as looking good. The routines and many ideas supplied also give much food for thought. Although it is an expensive item, I feel in this case it is money well spent and will definitely be using in my shows.

Neil
thecharlatan
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of thecharlatan
What size is this? I can carry something A4 or A5 around but A3 would be too large...
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3988 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Quote:
On 2012-02-18 06:32, thecharlatan wrote:
What size is this? I can carry something A4 or A5 around but A3 would be too large...

If you read this thread, you'll find easier you answer...
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
thecharlatan
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of thecharlatan
I have but it isn't very clear - it seems to be smaller than A4?
voh002
View Profile
Special user
547 Posts

Profile of voh002
I´ve read some place that the folio is a bit smaller than A4, but you can cut A4 paper to fit the size. Mine will be here on monday. Can´t wait Smile
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
3255 Posts

Profile of NeilS
You've got a treat in store Smile
kozmic kettle
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of kozmic kettle
The pad supplied with the Folio is very slightly bigger than A4: it's about 1mm longer than A4 and 5mm wider. A4 is so close to the size of the original pad, though, that it makes no difference to the working. I've fitted Folio with an A4 pad and it works fine. An A4 pad is what I'll be using when the supplied one runs out.
Isper
View Profile
Veteran user
398 Posts

Profile of Isper
Good the hear that you can use an A4 pad effectively without having to cut it or go and get it cut at a printers. Took the plunge and looking forward to it arriving!
Sandstar
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of Sandstar
How similar is this to the Theta Portfolio which I have?