The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Time after time :: Practice (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1368 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
When you don't feel like practicing, what do you do to get motivated to pick up those props?

Mark
Only he who can see the invisible can do the impossible. Frank L. Gaines
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I imagine the lost, scared, embarrassed feeling I'll have if I go unprepared.

I'm dyslexic so it seems to take a lot of practice to feel comfortable.

Fortunately, I enjoy many forms of practice but not the full dress rehearsal with no stops. I have to "scare" up the impetus to do that.

-Mary Mowder
Nak
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Nak
Check the fridge...any food in there? Uh oh...I better get working.

On a 'serious' note, if I'm not motivated to practice and I don't have a specific piece/show I'm working for, I figure my boredom means I need to come up with something new...whether it's attempting to force creativity or working on a random juggling move.
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Watch a magic DVD.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Peter Stobie
View Profile
Regular user
Milwaukee, WI
177 Posts

Profile of Peter Stobie
Since I am mostly a hobbyist, I sign myself up to perform for my Magic Club. This gives me a focus and makes me figure out what I need to work on with a specific deadline.

Pete Smile
Believing
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Believing
Push yourself to practice a little, then you will get started again.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I know I need to rehearse more but usually I just take my props to work for the ones I use and use them on coworkers.

Other times I routine while jogging where I can really dig in and do my best patter presenation.

Preparing for what to do with a failure (and it will happen), I think is most important.
Ben Seatreader
View Profile
Regular user
The College of Winterhold
103 Posts

Profile of Ben Seatreader
Perhaps the answer you are looking for is to discard your bothersome props, and look into entirely impromptu effects.
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
I actually am so dysfunctional I like to practice. But there's nothing like a show on the calendar to get you flicking some fingers.

Lately I want to work on the cups. I bought Michael Ammar's Complete Cups and Balls and a Mikame wand. I have some Brett Sherwood balls and a decent set of Precision Magic brass cups, a mat and lots of time. I'm motivated.

Smile
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
calle225
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of calle225
When I get bored I start learning a new trick, but I also force myself to practice on my old ones in between practicing the new. The excitement of learning a new trick will most often rub off to the old ones as well.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Quote:
On Jul 5, 2014, Ben Seatreader wrote:
Perhaps the answer you are looking for is to discard your bothersome props, and look into entirely impromptu effects.

Even impromptu effects need practice.

-Mary Mowder
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
Mostly my stubbornness keeps me going Smile

Sometimes going back to, and working on, a super easy effect and getting a good reaction with it can make you remember why you started to doing magic in the first place - and that can often drive you to practice again.

Also, a break can sometimes help. Take the weekend off. Come back fresh on Monday.

I also find that looking at magic history can inspire me - reading about the greats of yesteryear can generate some new passion and motivation. Smile
drmagico
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of drmagico
I have a list of things that I don't perform now but may want to work on in the future so I pick something off the list and play around with it...it helps stimulate my creative side and from there I find I get motivated to practice the things I will need to work on..Howard
Waters.
View Profile
Special user
701 Posts

Profile of Waters.
Agreed. There is a relaxing joy to practicing, particularly moves. I am making a distinction between practice and rehearsal, by the way. In our lives, in which, so much has become virtual, there is satisfaction in the manipulation (not necessarily the magical meaning) of objects. It's a tactile Joy. Even though I am a "mental" guy, I love practicing Three Fly and CMH (with Brendan Rodriguez' kicker). I love practicing Apollo Robbins "wither vanish". These look like real magic and require muscle memory.
Soniczjx
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of Soniczjx
When I don't feel like practicing magic, I start reading my mechanical engineering books and doing some homework, after 1-2 hours, I feel tired for doing my school stuff, then I start practicing magic. Change the focus and do something else, then get back to magic.
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1443 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Quote:
On Oct 23, 2011, Mary Mowder wrote:
I imagine the lost, scared, embarrassed feeling I'll have if I go unprepared.

I'm dyslexic so it seems to take a lot of practice to feel comfortable.

Fortunately, I enjoy many forms of practice but not the full dress rehearsal with no stops. I have to "scare" up the impetus to do that.

-Mary Mowder

I have a recurring dream (interestingly, not as uncommon as I initially thought) that I'm back in college and enter a class for final exams, realizing I had not studied at all. Upon waking I steadfastly resolve to rehearse my program that day!
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
887 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
Just begin practicing something. We wait to be inspired/ motivated before we begin. But actually, it has been demonstrated that activity precedes motivation, not the other way around as we often think. Mark out some uninterrupted time and begin practice -- often your mind will then follow what your body is doing.
ColtonRaelund
View Profile
Regular user
COLTON ZOROASTER RAELUND
116 Posts

Profile of ColtonRaelund
Go out and DO magic. This will give you a craving to DO IT BETTER. When you want to do it better, you will PRACTICE. You cant just live your magical half of your life in front of the mirror. Magic is a performing art, so get out there and PERFORM! Even one good trick will give you motivation. But as soon as you stop PERFORMING, you will not want to PRACTICE. If you do not PRACTICE, you cant PERFORM. So, as you can see, it is a circle you have to kick your self into. Once you get IN, if you are carefull, you will not come OUT for a long time.
So, GO DO SOME MAGIC!
Michael Mindreader
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of Michael Mindreader
Anyone else want to give some idea on how to practicing mentalism acts?
donj4
View Profile
New user
southwest virginia
13 Posts

Profile of donj4
. Change the focus and do something else, then get back to magic. [/quote]
I did this once and the focus on something else lasted nearly 21 years just now maybe 2 weeks ago I really got back in.
Yeah, I LOVE MY JOB!
member D.E.A. (Don't even ask.)