The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Deckless! :: B'wave (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1704 Posts

Profile of martydoesmagic
Quote:
On Nov 22, 2023, vincentmusician wrote:
I have been performing B'Wave for a few years now and have never had anyone ask to see the cards. It could be the way you present this. Cheers!

I don't think allowing someone to examine your props is always necessary. However, most laypeople have never seen blank-faced playing cards and want to touch them (even if they don't ask). Luckily, this is possible with B'Wave. In fact, Max used to deal all four cards into a spectator's hand (he mentions this in the instructional video that comes with B'Wave Deluxe).

I've said this many times before, but just because people don't ask to look at your props, this doesn't mean they're not suspicious of them. Frequently, when I put a pack of cards down on the table, someone will pick them up and check that they're not "trick cards" by running their fingers and thumb along the edges of the deck. These people usually own a Svengali or Stripper Deck, which explains this odd behaviour! Smile

I have no problem with Max's method (I use it constantly). However, I have developed a variation that does allow all four cards to be examined. It isn't superior because it requires more handling. However, I perform it more simply because I don't need special cards.

Marty
Magicbob89
View Profile
New user
Maryland
27 Posts

Profile of Magicbob89
The way I do the reveal of the 3 blank cards is I have the 3 cards be Jokers. My patter is; "if you would of said any of the others queens, the joke would have been on me. Do you know why?" Then I turn all 3 over.
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1704 Posts

Profile of martydoesmagic
Max insisted that the impact of "B'Wave" relies on the use of blank-faced playing cards, which are unusual and not commonly seen by the average person. While using Jokers is not necessarily wrong, he suggested throwing away the ones that come with the "B'Wave Deluxe" set!

Marty
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
750 Posts

Profile of karnak
It’s interesting, in this context, that Twisted Sisters (which is basically just two sets of B’wave) comes with Jokers instead of blank cards.

(Or do I mis-remember it?)
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
Magicbob89
View Profile
New user
Maryland
27 Posts

Profile of Magicbob89
Quote:
On Feb 25, 2024, karnak wrote:
It’s interesting, in this context, that Twisted Sisters (which is basically just two sets of B’wave) comes with Jokers instead of blank cards.

You are correct. That's were I took the idea of the 3 Jokers from.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3531 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
IMHO, blank cards offer a subtle suggestion that it is not just a card trick. By replacing the blank cards with jokers, it gives a feel of a card trick, same as when the cards are given an EC to show them all face down first.
Neither is wrong, it just falls into each person's performance style.
Magicbob89
View Profile
New user
Maryland
27 Posts

Profile of Magicbob89
I don't do much mentalism. So that's why I like preforming this as more of a card trick.