The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Deckless! :: B'wave (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Bill Thompson
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
422 Posts

Profile of Bill Thompson
Quote:
On Jan 16, 2015, BeThePlunk wrote:
Here's an additional problem (IMHO) with B'wave -- there is no point when the "magic" happens.

Beacuse it isn't a magic trick... it is a feat of mentalism!

Quote:
The conclusion is: "I knew which card you'd pick. I didn't even bring the other queens."

That is the exact effect you want!

Quote:
So, the mentalist achievement happens even before the person was chosen from the audience.

Occasionally...
Quote:
It's not mind-reading because the queen was in the pack of cards even before the cards came out of the magician's case and the "mind" was chosen from the audience. It's more like predicting-the-future in general than knowing someone's mind.

Well... you didn't read their mind, you predicted the future. What's wrong with predicting the future as part of a mentalism act?

instead of mind reading you could present it as mind control... follow up the B'wav with the trick Mind Control where there is absolute free choice as a way of proving that you are subtly controling their thought or just bring out the entire Brainwave deck and use the patter Pop Haydn offers in the Chicago Surprise.
"To let understanding stop at what cannot be understood is a high attainment.
Those who cannot do it will be destroyed on the lathe of heaven." - Chuang Tse
Joaquim
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of Joaquim
I've heard in the dvd that comes with Twisted Sisters 2.0 by John Bannon he talks a lot about why he feels multiple climaxes are a good thing, and discusses it in quite a bit of detail.
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
887 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
Either I don't know enough about mentalism or it's a kind of performance that just doesn't suit me. So be it. I do like B'wave and its triple ending. I just need to make it fit my style. Everything I've said above is just an explanation of that and how I have solved it for myself. Maybe there's something in there for others. Today I had the chance to do the trick for one of my students. He was stunned, but the theme of the presentation and the talk afterward was "look how your imagination can become reality". I felt that it was a much more satisfying experience. Again, that's me and my style. If that helps someone else... great.
Wabojeg
View Profile
New user
Ann Arbor
78 Posts

Profile of Wabojeg
I do b'wave a little different (I think.) First, briefly I hope, two personal preferences motivate my changes. One, I'm not a big fan of packet tricks. Two, I don't like the idea of ending with specially printed cards for the spec to see (there are many effects in this category though none that I can think of right now.) Even though a blank card is not that special, I don't like my specs to think that I use anything but a deck they could pick up in the checkout aisle. Okay, with that out of the way, if using B'wave in a set it is an opener with the top four cards of the deck being three aces (or any non-face cards) and the gaff in the usual face-up location. I peel off the top four cards, of course without flashing the face-up gaff, set the deck aside, and go into the routine. Using three different cards from the deck may soften the third reveal, but it leaves me with a normal deck to proceed with. As I gather the cards back together I of course say that I better get rid of that odd back red queen or it will mess me up, and pocket it, then proceed.
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1228 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Quote:
On Feb 12, 2015, Wabojeg wrote:
I do b'wave a little different (I think.) First, briefly I hope, two personal preferences motivate my changes. One, I'm not a big fan of packet tricks. Two, I don't like the idea of ending with specially printed cards for the spec to see (there are many effects in this category though none that I can think of right now.) Even though a blank card is not that special, I don't like my specs to think that I use anything but a deck they could pick up in the checkout aisle. Okay, with that out of the way, if using B'wave in a set it is an opener with the top four cards of the deck being three aces (or any non-face cards) and the gaff in the usual face-up location. I peel off the top four cards, of course without flashing the face-up gaff, set the deck aside, and go into the routine. Using three different cards from the deck may soften the third reveal, but it leaves me with a normal deck to proceed with. As I gather the cards back together I of course say that I better get rid of that odd back red queen or it will mess me up, and pocket it, then proceed.

So in your presentation, what is the excuse for the odd backed card?
Was it in the pack all the time?
Did you magically change its back colour?

Just curious...

mlippo
Wabojeg
View Profile
New user
Ann Arbor
78 Posts

Profile of Wabojeg
Quote:
On Feb 13, 2015, mlippo wrote:
Quote:

Just curious...

mlippo

Hi mlippo, what is the excuse for the odd backed card in any presentation of B'wave? It is there to reinforce the prediction, assuming one plays it as a prediction or premonition type of effect. It is an odd backed card whether it is in a packet trick or it comes with four cards off the face of the deck. Kevin
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1228 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2015, Wabojeg wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Just curious...

mlippo

Hi mlippo, what is the excuse for the odd backed card in any presentation of B'wave? It is there to reinforce the prediction, assuming one plays it as a prediction or premonition type of effect. It is an odd backed card whether it is in a packet trick or it comes with four cards off the face of the deck. Kevin

I've been doing B'wave for a very long time, and never it occurred to me to take four cards from an ordinary pack, simply because there should be NO different backed card in it, unless by magic I transormed its colour. That's why I stick to the classic packet taken from my pocket.

This is where my question about how YOU justify the different coloured back in your pack came from.
Maybe I didn't make myself clear enough in the original question. Sorry.

Thanks

mlippo
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
887 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
I think the idea is to tell the spec to imagine a red-backed queen and then (surprise) you produce one. It's one of my frustrations with the usual presentation.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7028 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
If you're going to remove the cards from a deck, why not just do Red Hot Mamma or Brainwave?

To me, the point of B'Wave is that you start with a small packet of cards which contains a prediction. The reason you have four cards is because there are four suits. You ask the spec to imagine that that cards are Queens (or Kings) and go from there.

That's performing it as a mentalism routine.

It can also be performed as a magic effect: Elmsley Count the cards and say they are the Queens, blah, blah, blah. Click your fingers over the packet, one Queen has turned face up. Click again, it has an odd colored back. Click again, the other cards are blank.

I think presented B'Wave as a magic trick is weak. It's better when presented as a demonatration of preconnition. It isn't mind reading. It's pregognition.

Part of the reason the blank card ending is so powerful is that normal people aren't used to seeing blank cards. It's shocking to them. And the best part is that they CAN be examined. Who cares if the Queen isn't examinable? It's just a Queen.

You can certainly do it without the gaffed card but it's simpler with the gaff and the less Equivoque, the better.

Having said all of that, John Bannon's Duplicity is brilliant. Uses normal cards, only one bit of Equivoque, and can be examined which, in the case of that trick, is more important as it's better if it all happens in the spectator's hands. Unlike B'Wave, I think Duplicty makes a better magic trick. It's really a cards across effect.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1228 Posts

Profile of mlippo
I cannot agree more with Cameron Francis's above post!

mlippo
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7028 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Thank you! BTW, I should have said, "cards across transpo". Have two people on opposite sides of the stage holidng the cards. Powerful stuff.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Wabojeg
View Profile
New user
Ann Arbor
78 Posts

Profile of Wabojeg
Quote:
On Feb 15, 2015, mlippo wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2015, Wabojeg wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Just curious...

mlippo

I've been doing B'wave for a very long time, and never it occurred to me to take four cards from an ordinary pack, simply because there should be NO different backed card in it, unless by magic I transormed its colour. That's why I stick to the classic packet taken from my pocket.

This is where my question about how YOU justify the different coloured back in your pack came from.
Maybe I didn't make myself clear enough in the original question. Sorry.

Thanks

mlippo

Hi, I'm not dismissing what you are saying. To me it is still a four card packet prediction effect, I just take the four cards off of the top of the deck when I start. By then removing the odd card and saying that doesn't belong there and moving on to using the other three cards with a normal deck, I think it reinforces the normalness (is that a word) of the cards. That said, I would rather do a non-gaffed version and should check out the ones recommended in this post; however, I still am not likely to want to do it as a packet trick with blank cards, but that is just me. Maybe I grew up in the age of bizarre packet tricks in plastic wallets coming out every week and developed an aversion to packet tricks. Smile Kevin
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
887 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
If I have the gift of precognition, why I don't just say, "Think of a card. Aha, you're thinking of the queen of hearts. I knew you would, and here it is."? Isn't kinda weird to say, "I have precognition, but only if you think of queens, and I help you pick which queen"?

To use normal cards, how about E-counting four Jokers or deuces and letting the spec "promote" one of them to a legit card by using some standard force?
Tukaram
View Profile
Loyal user
Iloilo, Philippines
227 Posts

Profile of Tukaram
It looks like a weaker version of Twisted Sisters, to me. The only plus side is you only need one spectator...
Wabojeg
View Profile
New user
Ann Arbor
78 Posts

Profile of Wabojeg
Maybe a Clairvoyance or remote viewing theme? Just brainstorming here. ;-)

Quote:
On Jan 16, 2015, BeThePlunk wrote:
Here's an additional problem (IMHO) with B'wave -- there is no point when the "magic" happens. The conclusion is: "I knew which card you'd pick. I didn't even bring the other queens." So, the mentalist achievement happens even before the person was chosen from the audience. It's not mind-reading because the queen was in the pack of cards even before the cards came out of the magician's case and the "mind" was chosen from the audience. It's more like predicting-the-future in general than knowing someone's mind. It's a pleasant 3-part surprise, but it needs more "zap" in the presentation, IMHO.

I'm leaning toward a presentation that goes like this: "The mind has powers that most people never cultivate. I want to show you the sort of thing you're capable of. With my assistance, you're about to achieve an amazing feat of the imagination." Then I'll go into the presentation I described above. This way, I feel, the miracle happens randomly, on-the-spot, in their hands, with a "zap," and everything examinable. The spec could even go back to the original deck to discover that the QH is no longer there.

Might not suit everyone's taste. I'm just sharing my thoughts for others to consider.
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
If you've been in Card magic for any amount of time you've probably picked up Max Maven's (Phil Goldstien) packet trick B'Wave. The trick is a self-working 1-2-3-PUNCH! But it forced me to wonder, is there anything else I can do with these cards? Could I perform B'Wave another way? Here is my offering, to turn the classic packet trick into a trick with a full deck of cards.

Here is my "double reveal" (I do not reveal the different colored back)

Effect: A standard blue backed deck is shown, spreading though the cards, the performer asks the spectator to touch any four cards as they go by, as each card is selected, the performer upjogs each one.

Once four cards are chosen, they are all placed face down on the table.

"Wow, do you know what you did? You found all four queens!" the performer explains. The spectator does not believe it. "You don't believe me do you? Yea, the odds of you successfully doing that is about 730 to 1, but let's pretend anyway - it sounds cooler."

"Ok, we're pretending that all four of these cards are the queens and we're going to play a game. I am going to remove one of the queens and place it back in the deck and you're going to magically deduce which one." The Magician picks up one of the tabled cards, looks at it and nod and places it back into the center of the deck - cuts it once and tables it.

"All right, so we have 3 cards left. If we originally had all four queens we'd have one from each suit, two reds and two blacks - without thinking and just going off instinct, name a color red or black?"

Equivocate:

The spectator chooses black: "all right, let's eliminate the black cards," the magician waves his hands over the 3 tabled cards and snaps. "there were two...." the magician turns two of the tabled cards and they are shown to be blank. "This means the card that returned to the deck was red. We have one red card here... " pointing to the tabled card "And one red card here" pointing too the deck...

The spectator chooses red: "Yes, the card I removed was a red card. I think your senses are tuning in. So let's eliminate the two black cards...." (follow as written above)

Effect:

"For this next part, I want you to deduce the identity of the face down card in front of you. Do me a favor hold your hand over the tabled card, concentrate and tell me.... is it the diamond or the heart?"

The spectator concentrates for a moments and reveals their answer. Whichever suit they name, you say "You were right, let's eliminate it right now," you roll the card over and it to has gone blank.

"That means, the card I removed was the Queen of _______ (whichever card is remaining)."

"Now I know you didn't believe me earlier when I said you picked all four queens, but you did correctly pick the Queen of ___________ and to prove it, I want you to show you something."

The Magician picks up the tabled deck, turns it face up and spreads it across the table. "You will notice that out of the entire deck, you will only find one queen - all the others have vanished leaving your one selection, the queen of ________"

Exposure: if you want the deck setup and sleights involved PM me.
jeffAwesome
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of jeffAwesome
I've been doing B'wave for only about 7 months now, but people seem to love it. I think seeing the blank cards is absolutely amazing. I also think equivoque is strongest when you do have multiple outs at the ending so your phrasing is as simple as which one would you like or in this case which one did I turn face up.

I also feel the extra added bonuses are the real strength of the effect. I was performing this once and one of the spectators said, let me see those "other" cards. She didn't care about the queen she wanted to see what those other cards were and that's when I was able to go into the kicker and show them "it was the only queen in the pack".

I think one of my favorite things about this is it does kind of take them "down the garden path". When you turn those cards over they're expecting to see the other queens but never are they expecting to see real blank bicycle cards. To me that moment is so strong and unique.

Plus the next day they can describe it to their neighbors. He had me imagine one of the queens and it was the only face up card in his hand... and the other cards were BLANK!!!
wanderwizard
View Profile
Loyal user
221 Posts

Profile of wanderwizard
Blimey I love B,wave always have it in my wallet perform it daily anybody on the fence get it,If you know the trick buy twisted sister's which gives you 2 Bwaves cheaper than buying the gaffed cards.Once you play about with it you will soon develop your own delivery of the trick
wanderwizard
View Profile
Loyal user
221 Posts

Profile of wanderwizard
May I just add its very very easy to perform but so so very powerful to spectators this particular trick has made me realise how much time you need to put into an effect to get the maximum out of it,I have been doing this now for around 8 years and over time have got my timing just right.
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1704 Posts

Profile of martydoesmagic
Although I love this Max Maven classic, the more I think about it the more I see the gaff as unnecessary, especially if you keep the four-card packet in your wallet. What I've started to do is use a H****r Wallet with a set of normal cards. This allows me to give the wallet to a spectator to hold as they mentally eliminate either the red or black cards; they're then free to eliminate one of the two remaining suits. The benefit of this approach is that it makes the trick fractal (as John Bannon would say): all four cards can be handled by the spectator.

Marty