The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes :: Review: Card Cavalcade series by Jerry Mentzer (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1266 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
I hope this doesn't make anybody mad.....but check out the Bob King material. [shhhhh...]
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2013-09-12 02:25, Steve Hook wrote:
I hope this doesn't make anybody mad.....but check out the Bob King material. [shhhhh...]

Nice call Steve! I actually first encountered Bob King's work in Best of Friends. Really good stuff as you know!

I see that it's been two years since I wrote that review and I still feel the same about Card Cavalcade. If a reader cannot find at least 40 useful effects or sleights in this 5 volume series I would consider going so far as to purchase the set from that person and resell them at at a LOSS to me to another magician who would certainly appreciate these treasures - and I'm a poor grad student living for now in another country so the loss would be significant, but, the gain for me at least would be that I turned somebody on to a set of books that deserve far more discussion than they receive.

Best,
Vlad
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1266 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Quote:
On 2013-09-12 02:25, Steve Hook wrote:

Sorry for the error but the Bob King material is in Jerry Mentzer's CARD FILE. Thanks for bringing up the Mentzer books, Vlad!
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
Moonstone76
View Profile
Regular user
Italy
156 Posts

Profile of Moonstone76
Vlad, thanks for the review. Thanks to it I took the books from my magic shelf, started to seriously study them, rediscovering a real pot of treasures!
Unfortunately I haven'th the 4th volume of the series and Jerry himself has no copies left.....
Is there anyone selling it?
MagicMethods
View Profile
New user
Mount Holly,NC.USA
4 Posts

Profile of MagicMethods
Just to update this very old 2011 post. I'm the new owner of Jerry Mentzer's biz "Magic Methods' founded by him in 1969. We're still around and shipping orders. It is our plan to update and reprint the Card and Close-up Cavalcade series. It is my hope to put all five of the card cavalcades into one book with new illustrations, etc. And the Close-Up Series of There books into another volume. We still have new copies of #1 and #5 in stock from their last printing. Numbers 2, 3 and 4 of the Card Cavalcade series are all out of print as of this date. We still have some Close-up Cavalcades and many other Mentzer titles in print and are trying our best to update and re-print as resources allow. Thanks so much for the great comments on Jerry's writing, he was my mentor & friend for more than 35 years.
Eddy Wade
PO Box 386
Mt. Holly,NC 28120
FaroFaroFaro
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of FaroFaroFaro
Late to the party (as usual). When will the compilations be printed? Thanks