The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Boxes, tubes & bags :: Torn and restored newspaper? (16 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
Quote:
On 2011-07-21 10:42, Sealegs wrote:
For the moment the presentational quest will continue.

I PM'd you with something I have been working on.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Thanks to mtpascoe for the PM. He's a very nice man.

I think magicgeorge's idea is a great set up and premise for the effect.... cutting a (page 3) Lady in half...and half again...and in half again....with the rest of the paper getting torn up and restored almost, apparently, incidentally... great idea.

It means once that you've established the premise of what you are going to do/are doing you can focus your script on that comedic premise rather than on the process of tearing up the newspaper which, afterall, everyone can plainly see is what you are doing.

It's such a simple idea it's tempting to think it's obvious... and yet no one else thought of it! Nice one George.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Cheers Neal. I was doing some compering last night and decided to give it a bash. Went well.

A friend of mine once did a routine where she had several page 3 girls but had drawn bras on them with a sharpie. She graciously allowed me to use her idea. So for a kicker after the restoration when I went to check if she was OK she had taken her marker bra off and was holding it in her hand.

Also, I got a laugh just by reading the wee random quote beside her. They're usually pretty daft & random.

I started with quite a lame intro about how you're always asked two things as a magician (the rabbit question and the sawing question). It did the job but any suggestions for better opening lines much appreciated.

George
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Had a great conversation with Gene Anderson tonight. There was a lecture tonight (Nathan Kranzo), but we spent quite a bit of time both before and after the lecture.

Gene likes all the versions we have discussed here. He was interested in why you all like the versions you liked, which I shared with him.

I can tell you this: Gene is a pure gentleman, very cordial and DOESN'T knock others effects.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
Axel Hecklau
View Profile
Regular user
Berlin / Germany
118 Posts

Profile of Axel Hecklau
Quote:
On 2011-07-26 23:25, Mike Maturen wrote:

I can tell you this: Gene is a pure gentleman, very cordial and DOESN'T knock others effects.

I totally agree. I had the chance to spend some "Quality-Time" with him - Gene is great!

btw. here is a link to my new NEWSFLASH 2.0 Universal TRAILER

Maybe you like to watch :-3)

Greetings

Axel Hecklau
Axel Hecklau
View Profile
Regular user
Berlin / Germany
118 Posts

Profile of Axel Hecklau
Sorry forgott to paste the link :-(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36b9j-nKy8Q
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
Alex, your Newsflash 2.0 is great. It solves all of the problems I had with the first one. Thanks for making the changes.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
My goodness, that is an exciting promo trailer!!
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
Yes, I was a paid spokeperson for Alex Hecklau. No, actually, the trick is more streamlined and better to use. My only adjustment I would make is to put an extra page on the restored pack so you can flip through it like Gene Anderson does.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
The name is AXEL Hecklau.

Myra Mowder
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
This was tongue in cheek. I was trying to show that I (wink, wink) was paid from him, then at the same time misspelling his name.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3695 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Here is a recent performance of the Gene Anderson tear at the World Steam Expo in Dearborn, Michigan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNkAY9B4Ws8

I like Axel's version as well. Both Gene and Axel are wonderful performers and complete gentlemen.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Quote:
On 2011-09-07 21:49, Pop Haydn wrote:
Here is a recent performance of the Gene Anderson tear at the World Steam Expo in Dearborn, Michigan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNkAY9B4Ws8

I like Axel's version as well. Both Gene and Axel are wonderful performers and complete gentlemen.

Wonderful performance! I wish I could have been there - my wife and I both work in Dearborn and I was just way too busy to come.
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of wally
I am going to try paul potssays version. I do have J, Bauers which is good.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Clear!..... whump.. deet....deet....deet

And so was that a thread started in 2011 and that was last contributed to in 2014 was bought back to life...

I've been working on the Torn and Restored Newspaper and if JNeal hasn't found the answer to his question about the difference between the Elmsley and Wilson versions in the intervening 6 years I can tell him what the difference is. It actually makes quite a big difference to one aspect of the routine. I was convinced they were the same too... but they're not.

I wonder if George is still doing Newsflash? and if so I wonder how he's now presenting it? (For those that can't be bothered to go back and read the 4 pages of this old thread George posted about his journey with doing it in this thread.)

I still haven't got a good patter line or even idea for it for this effect. But I love the slo-mo restore (Elmsley/Wilson version) and have made some changes to the set up and the handling that make the reset as good as instant and the handling even easier and the restore even more like the pieces meld together.

Even without much in the way of a script I've included it in my act a few times.... I also set it up twice more to do.... and forgot to do it both times. Smile
Neal Austin

JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
SeaLegs... clue me in!

I have both versions of it (Wilson and Elmsley) and I may have interpolated both into whatever version that I do unconsciously. But I would like to know what you have discovered if only for academic purposes!

Regards-
J.Neal
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
I've PM'd you Jonathan... l missed the difference too and still couldn't see it when it was pointed out to me. But then the penny dropped.
Neal Austin

JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Thanks SeaLegs! it was hidden in plain sight!
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Bamboozled
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Bamboozled
Although its not a full newspaper tear, I really love Neil Foster's Center Tear. Lance Burton used it in his dove act.
spiltrap
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of spiltrap
Newsflash can't be beat.