The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Boxes, tubes & bags :: Torn and restored newspaper? (16 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
[quote]On 2011-07-16 21:29, Autumn Morning Star wrote:
You will love it, Mike! PM me if you want to know how to make it bullet-proof!
Best,
Autumn
Sorry to have stole your thunder, but I believe I shared that in my post above.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Dear charliecheckers,

Just to make it clear could you quote the part of your post that makes it bulletproof?

-Mary Mowder
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1378 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
Thanks, Mary Mowder. Charlie Checkers: No thunder stolen, no apology needed. I will be sharing ideas with Gene directly, because I know him to be a gentleman who will give me credit for any improvements or handling changes. We sure love that newspaper tear!
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Do any of the versions restore a newspaper of more than 2 sheets (4 pages).

Whenever I have seen this effect (even before I was much of a magician and viewing the presentation through layman's eyes) I've always thought it odd that the performer doesn't pretend it is a whole newspaper but never seems to give any reason for this. I'm always left thinking are we supposed to think this is a whole paper? And if not the only reason a spectator is left with to as why it isn't is because it can't be done with a whole newspaper.

Maybe it doesn't take much away from the effect but to me it seems distracting.

TommyJ's presentation made use of the fact that there are 2 pages which gives some motivation.

A lot of newspapers have pull out sections for sport, classified or cartoons etc. I was thinking it might make sense to base your presentation about one of these sections which are expected to only have a few pages ie concoct a reason and motivation in your patter to pull out the sports section and rip it up for example.

What are your thoughts on this?
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I agree George but I'm not inclined to give up the effect because it is STRONG (I'm using NewsFlash 2.0). Axel Hecklau has a version on his 2.0 where it is a piece of trash to begin with and not the whole paper. The papers I use are small community newspapers and the locals know these are not very many pages, I only remove one full sheet to make mine.

I think there is some recognition that the paper becomes unwieldy and hard to tear if there are more sheets and I think there is some theatrical acceptance that this is a Magic Effect, not that that is a great thing.

My partner and I have discussed sharing sections of the paper as you have suggested but since I'm using the free Local Papers there are no sections big enough . My cheap instincts will out for now.

-Mary Mowder
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2011-07-19 12:22, magicgeorge wrote:
Do any of the versions restore a newspaper of more than 2 sheets (4 pages).

Whenever I have seen this effect (even before I was much of a magician and viewing the presentation through layman's eyes) I've always thought it odd that the performer doesn't pretend it is a whole newspaper but never seems to give any reason for this. I'm always left thinking are we supposed to think this is a whole paper? And if not the only reason a spectator is left with to as why it isn't is because it can't be done with a whole newspaper.

Maybe it doesn't take much away from the effect but to me it seems distracting.

TommyJ's presentation made use of the fact that there are 2 pages which gives some motivation.

A lot of newspapers have pull out sections for sport, classified or cartoons etc. I was thinking it might make sense to base your presentation about one of these sections which are expected to only have a few pages ie concoct a reason and motivation in your patter to pull out the sports section and rip it up for example.

What are your thoughts on this?

You are correct, but no one has come up with a decent flowing patter routine as of yet. Will you be the 1st, if so I will buy your words. Looking forward to you creativity.

As for several sheet torn and restored newspapers, Elmsley, Page, Shaxon, Bauer, and Anderson come to mind immediately. If you do weight lifting and can tear those last few folds with today's papers, great. Some find it difficult for the last tear of 16 pieces of newspaper.

I think your comments are more about the performance/performer then the torn and restored newspaper. You are not satisfied with there reasoning for bringing a newspaper to a magic show, and you would be more entertained if the performer explains to you why he brought this newspaper with him to show you a magic trick.
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
George - your magical instincts are correct. It is a great idea to tie the presentation in with the section of the paper you are using. This strengthens the fact that the paper is real. I have often heard audience members say that "I took their sports section from the paper, tore it and put it back together". I always use the current daily paper - either the USA Today or our local paper. I have seen magicians use just any paper and while it obviously "works" and few who see it think twice about it, I believe if you are going to do something you might as well do it right. If you present to music, you can still discuss the content of the paper prior to the actual tear and music beginning. Done correctly, this will be one of the effects your audience will remember the most so think twice about taking short cuts.
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
1378 Posts

MagicGeorge, Gene's tear is 'five' sheets shown to your audience, or what looks like a full section from the morning paper. You can also START with a full paper like I do, taking it straight from the morning delivery bag! (The bag protects it in transit.) THEN pull out a section, set the rest on your table behind you, and start to work.

If you want to be fancy, you can prepare a Clippo section right in the want ads that got discarded and go back to that after you are done with the tear. You can even do a force to get them to pick the page and the column. You can work up great patter to this if you think a bit. Mine goes along with my culture and ecology. I use an audience assistant and produce a bird from my paper, too.

I used to call Gene's Newspaper Tear my 'white knuckle' trick, because I am dyslexic (no kidding, that is why I don't do card effects). I was always so afraid of getting 'something' reversed and exposing 'something', but I never did. When I passed the '2000 times in front of an audience' point, I no longer worried, but am still careful. This effect works beautifully and you will develop a great routine with great patter, if you just do your chosen tear every chance you get.

Hegblini, I can't sell you my routine and patter, because it would not fit in your show (since mine is a culturally-themed show). However, YOU are brilliant! I know you can come up with some wonderful patter! PM me with your show theme and I will be glad to kick around some ideas that you can sculpt into art! Smile
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
I am not dyslexic myself but I can appreciate the challenges that a dyslexic magician would face - especially in card magic! Thanks, Autumn, for sharing that.

In my silent stage act, I did a Charlie Chaplin theme and on the background we had the silent film-style words projected for each scene when necessary. I would sit on the bench and open the newspaper to read (I used a full newspaper for this effect as well) and start reading. The police officer would notice that I had a dog that was not on a leash and we started to "argue" about it. After some time, I ignored him and sat back down to my newspaper - which he was just content with ripping to bits with his hands - and his club. After a roundabout chase and whatnot, I went back to the bench to find my torn newspaper - obviously angered and discontented. I would fold it up and proceed to restore it to its original condition.

That is a short description of my presentation, which never failed to get great reactions and gasps from the audience. At one point, I also added a bit where a drunkard poured water into my newspaper and in my attempt to dump it out on him, it vanished and the newspaper was restored. This was an idea from an old friend of mine from Europe.

Anyway, it is important to tie some sort of presentation into the effect to liven it up, and I have seen some really nice ideas here.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Thanks for the info, Autumn. Do you mean 5 sheets as in 10 pages?

Anyhow, I went ahead and bought the Hecklau version. I really like it, it looks great. I've been practising it for about 5 hours straight.

I'm wondering if you don't go through and show all the pages are folks likely to realise it's not a full paper. I like the poster trick aswell, I have some ideas for that. As for a routine for the paper, I have a few ideas at the moment and will test them out on the comedy circuit when I am ready.

Papers are in the news at the moment what with the hacking scandal. I wish I'd picked up the last ever copy of the news of the world that mioght've made for an interesting angle.
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
1378 Posts

Sometimes 'fessing up can help others, Dr_J_Ayala. Years ago, I worked in a magic shop and (please don't laugh) could not do Invisible Deck. I still can't: I cannot distinguish the pips or do quick math in my head without getting the wrong number. However, I graduated at the very top of my college class, both undergrad and master's, so I do have more than a 'clump of damp grey clay' between my ears, lol! I am good at creativity and can usually come up with routining that others cannot come up with, because they don't have my weird little brain.

Not to derail the topic: There are some GREAT ideas in this thread if one is motivated enough to try them! I love your idea of the Charlie Chaplin routine! This is a fabulously natural way to present the newspaper! Thematic magic is so perfect, because the magic has a purpose and a story! Your routine makes me wish I were a guy with a Chaplin moustache, but my hubby would surely complain Smile

Your suggestion, Dr_J_Ayala, makes me think of other scenes where the paper is found naturally. This makes me think of all the great bits by Red Skelton. Just watching some old Red Skelton bits could surely stimulate new routines for the Newspaper and more!

MagicGeorge, my apologies. I am counting in a weird sort of fashion. I mean that am holding a single section of the paper and I first show the front page only, then I open to the 'second' page (two pages are showing in the open-paper position) then the 'third' page (two pages are showing in the open-paper position), then the 'fourth' page (two pages are again showing in the open-paper position), then I close the paper and show the back page only as the "fifth and final page of the paper." I look like I completely showed every single page of the paper.

So really they first see page 1, then I open to show pages 2&3, then 4&5, then 6&7, then page 8. I think it sounds tedious to say: "The first page of the paper, the second & third page of the paper, the fourth & fifth page of the paper, the sixth & seventh page of the paper and the eighth and final page of the paper." But maybe I am wrong. Maybe I will try to do this next time and see how it feels. Saying it this way makes it seem like you have a full newspaper in your hands! Theoretically, you could add more sheets, as long as you folded it properly and tested it for smoothness, but why mess with Gene's perfection!
Doug Henning
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Quote:
On 2011-07-20 13:51, Autumn Morning Star wrote:
Sometimes 'fessing up can help others, Dr_J_Ayala. Years ago, I worked in a magic shop and (please don't laugh) could not do Invisible Deck. I still can't: I cannot distinguish the pips or do quick math in my head without getting the wrong number.

That I understand completely because my brother-in-law is dyslexic - not the brightest guy in the world some days, but dyslexic nonetheless. All around a good guy though.

Quote:
Not to derail the topic: There are some GREAT ideas in this thread if one is motivated enough to try them! I love your idea of the Charlie Chaplin routine! This is a fabulously natural way to present the newspaper! Thematic magic is so perfect, because the magic has a purpose and a story! Your routine makes me wish I were a guy with a Chaplin moustache, but my hubby would surely complain Smile

Thank you, and I think most any hubby would complain about that...

Quote:
Your suggestion, Dr_J_Ayala, makes me think of other scenes where the paper is found naturally. This makes me think of all the great bits by Red Skelton. Just watching some old Red Skelton bits could surely stimulate new routines for the Newspaper and more!

As a matter of fact some of the inspiration came from old Red Skelton skits, as well as the Tribute to Red Skelton as performed by Tom Mullica. If you have not seen it and if you ever get the chance, his tribute to Skelton is dead on, very well acted, very accurate and extremely hilarious!
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
I know we are veering off topic but that's allowed isn't it? We're still talking T&R newspapers and I think they've all been mentioned and everyone's said their favourites. I was originally talking about routining to help me decide which version to get but now I've committed to one I'd quite like to kick around some ideas.

I'm going to have to watch some Red Skelton. He's pretty much unkown in the UK (wll he is now at least).

This Marx Brothers bit always makes me think that this might be a good premise for a T&R routine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzfiBMRDc5Y

Usually when I hear the "I'm not tearing the newspaper" patter I'm not a big fan. It doesn't seem to carry any weight and just seems like a glib premise to talk about. However, I've just seen Whit Hadyn's version and it makes a lot more sense.

The way he gradually builds up the ridiculousness of it all plus the timing of the lines really makes it work:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIzHb2zTW44

Also now I know Hecklau's version (I've just timed myself doing the express set-up 3:07 it took) I can appreciate the improvements he has made to Anderson's version however to a layman in a routine like this I don't think it would matter which version you use.

I'm thinking of using the celebrity setting and ripping it to an anti-celebrity rant then spotting something interesting on one of the pieces as an incentive to repair the paper.

George
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Quote:
On 2011-07-21 06:06, magicgeorge wrote:
Usually when I hear the "I'm not tearing the newspaper" patter I'm not a big fan. It doesn't seem to carry any weight and just seems like a glib premise to talk about. However, I've just seen Whit Hadyn's version and it makes a lot more sense. The way he gradually builds up the ridiculousness of it all plus the timing of the lines really makes it work:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIzHb2zTW44

I quite agree on both accounts.
The whole "I am not actually tearing the paper" bit is kind of along the lines of the one thing I hate in presentations of magic - describing exactly what you are doing as you do it. "I pick up the ball and put the ball in my hand, I take the wand and tap my hand. I then tap the cup and open the hand, the ball is gone and now it is under the cup. I pick up..." The version done by Mr. Haydn is brilliant!

Quote:
Also now I know Hecklau's version (I've just timed myself doing the express set-up 3:07 it took) I can appreciate the improvements he has made to Anderson's version however to a layman in a routine like this I don't think it would matter which version you use.

This is very true. As with any magic effect you perform, at least where the audience is concerned, it is not the method you use to get a result, but rather, it is the result itself that matters. Of course, when the presentations stinks, so will the rest of it...

Quote:
I'm thinking of using the celebrity setting and ripping it to an anti-celebrity rant then spotting something interesting on one of the pieces as an incentive to repair the paper.

Very clever. I like it! That same idea could be tied into a money-driven incentive as well.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Like George I really like this effect but I have never found a way of making it funny enough to include in my show.

I've played around with the Alan Shaxon's, Pat Page's, Gene Anderson's, Alex Elmsley's, Alex Hecklau's, Tony Steven's and other versions. All have their virtues regarding their mechanics and the look of the magic.... but a presentational angle still elludes me.

I watched the clip of the slow motion restoration posted in this thread and I think it completely missed out the very aspect that makes Elmsley's torn and restored so effective. That is, the torn edges of the newspaper should still be seen to be torn even as the pieces are being restored.

This is what creates the illusion of the pieces melting back together as they reform into the complete newspaper. Performed well (I've seen Nick Lewin do it and it looks fantstically magical) it's equally as strong as the best flash restoration but in a completely different way.

While the tried and tested presentation of, 'I'm not actually tearing the newspaper' is obviously one that works for some performers, and is one that audiences generally seem to respond well to, it's never appealed to me.

It's a presentation that is either often a bit too twee for my tastes or otherwise bordering on being smug for my liking. I'm pretty sure I would struggle to likewise adopt such a presentational ploy without it similarly as coming across as such.

However, the Groucho clip Magicgeorge gave a link to might provide a good angle to explore... tearing out parts of your contract that you don't like and then (maybe) discovering at the end a final clause that says if you alter the contract in anyway you won't get paid... thus providing the motivation for restoring it.

That though is more of a torn and restored sheet of paper rather then a torn and restored newspaper. The latter seems more attractive as an item to use for the effect as it's something that everyone is familiar with.

One thought that springs to mind from something else that magicgeorge posted here is the idea of tearing up the paper and at the end discoveing an article on one of the pieces about,...

'...a magician who earned a fortune with his act where the highlight was what he did with a newspaper. The magician tore the newspaper into pieces and ....'

but the rest is on another bit of the paper among the many torn pieces..... so you restore part of the paper to continue being able to read the article....

which reads, 'then surprised the entire audience because he......' again the rest is missing so the paper is restored in full.

with the final tag being that the article finishes...." ... didn't do the usual thing of restoring it"

Doh!

Then again maybe not. For the moment the presentational quest will continue.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I've used a bunch of tears over the years. Anderson's, Baxt, and some that I don't even remember the names of, because that was decades ago. I love Anderson's, but I don't like the long set up time. And it took me forever to find "st*ve w**e, as he recommends in the instructions.

Lately, I have just decided to get plain lazy, and use the "no tear newspaper tear." It's a snap to set up and re-set. No muss, no fuss, no bother. Resets in all of five seconds. Use it over and over and over till the paper starts to yellow. And you can throw in a bunch of good comedy lines if you are so inclined.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
Quote:
On 2011-07-21 10:42, Sealegs wrote:

I watched the clip of the slow motion restoration posted in this thread and I think it completely missed out the very aspect that makes Elmsley's torn and restored so effective. That is, the torn edges of the newspaper should still be seen to be torn even as the pieces are being restored.

Actually the pages do look torn, but from stage it wasn't emphasized enough. I can see your point, and I noticed this fact too after actually seeing my clip after the show. Since then I have made my gimmicks with a very pronounced tear so even from stage you can see the crooked tears as it melts back together. (Never thought anyone else would notice that fact. Great eyes!)
"Keep the Kids Laughing!"
https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
I've had a few ideas about presenting this (one invloved turning the Daily Mail into the Guardian but I decided political satire wsan't my thing) I am thinking of going with this:

Cutting a lady in half. Well ripping..

The lady in question is called Kate, she's 27 and from Bromwich. She lives on page 3.

Good idea?
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
One way to find out George. Give it a try in one of your shows and let us know how you make out.
"Keep the Kids Laughing!"
https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
Quote:
On 2011-07-20 13:51, Autumn Morning Star wrote:
Sometimes 'fessing up can help others, Dr_J_Ayala. Years ago, I worked in a magic shop and (please don't laugh) could not do Invisible Deck. I still can't: I cannot distinguish the pips or do quick math in my head without getting the wrong number. However, I graduated at the very top of my college class, both undergrad and master's, so I do have more than a 'clump of damp grey clay' between my ears, lol! I am good at creativity and can usually come up with routining that others cannot come up with, because they don't have my weird little brain.

Don't feel bad. I can't remember the math either (and math was favorite subject in school). What I do is an idea I got from Becky Blaney. I fan the cards towards the audience and look right at the back of the other side and split the cards at the chosen card. Also, I write "Odd" on the case so I know which side is facing me. Another thing I do is write the two kings that are on that side of the deck so I don't have to remember them either. Trust me, when you don't want it to happen, someone will call out the king of something and you are stuck.