The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Boxes, tubes & bags :: Torn and restored newspaper? (16 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Mattia
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of Mattia
Dear friends,
I haven't tried Axel Hecklau's Newsflash 2.0, but I think that there are a few things to consider before buying the first one. When performed well,it's very impressive and looks very natural: also the handling of the newspaper when restored is absolutely perfect and natural. Nevertheless, there are other things quite uncomfortable:for example it takes A LOT of time to set up. I usually set up other versions in about 2 min. Newsflash takes me at least 15 minutes. Also, it's not so easy to perform:a little mistake in preparation or tearing and...well,You know what happens. In my opinion, regardless to these "cons", it's one of the best versions:audience likes it, it doesn't matter if it's hard to perform. Regarding the presentation,I use it only with a music background. I like very much Harbin's presentation(You can find it on Youtube). And yes,I agree: it's rare to see a magician performing well this trick. Maybe tell a story to explain why You are tearing the newspaper(watch Harbin). About people laughing at the tearing, I don't know why,but it never happened to me. I think that every audience has a different reaction at the same trick. Maybe people with different sense of humor react differently at the same thing(thing that,in fact it's not funny).

These are only the ideas I had reading this topic, let me know if You agree.

Magically Yours,
Mattia
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
I fell in love with Ron Wilson's Slow Motion Paper Tear years ago and I have used it ever since. As I understand it, his version is a version of the Elmsley paper tear. I love the ease of handling and the very fast and convenient 30 second re-set.

A lot can be said for flash restorations. They are amazing to watch. But I love the look of the slow motion paper tear as it appear the paper simply "melts" back together and it appears that you are left so clean at the end. I added a clip below. I incorporated a little of Ron's patter. (RIP Ron and thanks for the contribution to Magic. You will be missed. )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fB_1yrohKs
"Keep the Kids Laughing!"
https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Very entertaining Tommy J., I like it!
Ony Carcamo
View Profile
Special user
Manila, PHILIPPINES
608 Posts

Profile of Ony Carcamo
Nice, Tommy.
Ony Carcamo
PHILIPPINES

www.onycarcamo.com
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5446 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
You are right. There is much to be said for the slow restoration of the newspaper. It is argueable which (flash or slow restoration) gets the greater reaction. I suspect that it is like everything else in magic that the audeince reaction depends more on the presentation and performer than the trick.

Nice work Tommy! I really enjoyed watching your handling of this.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
Thanks guys. Glad to share it. I close most of my shows with this tear.
Brian Tanner
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
297 Posts

Profile of Brian Tanner
Very nicely done, Tommy! I really enjoyed this.
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Not to hijack the thread or anything, but I've never figured out what (if any) is the difference between Ron Wilson's Version and the original Elmsley.
I have the printed instructions for both (Elmsley's method was sold by Magic Inc for ...$2.00!) and it beats me!

Still, it is my favorite method and has tremendous impact on an audience if the presentation is good.
Regards-
JNeal
visit me @ JNealShow.com
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Hecklau's version is my personal favorite. Despite what others have written, it is easy to reset once you commit to learning it. Alex goes into extreme detail. There is only one tear that is against the newspaper natural grain and needs practice to tear properly. A previous post suggested it can be a challenge to get the restoration right but I have no idea what they are talking about. The other newspaper restoration I like is Anderson"s, which has a similar effect but a less natural position of the newspaper at the end. I am glad others convince themselves that the slow restorations are so wonderful because it makes my audiences so excited to see the flash restorations that I use.
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
Quote:
On 2011-07-10 11:50, charliecheckers wrote:
I am glad others convince themselves that the slow restorations are so wonderful because it makes my audiences so excited to see the flash restorations that I use.

Its not that we convince ourselves that they are so wonderful . . . they ARE wonderful. So are flash restorations. I used to perform Anderson's. I also have Axel's. They are both great, but time consuming in between shows to re-set, whereas the slow motion paper tear is extremely fast and simple to reset.

Since I have used both I can attest that audiences like both. My response to the first post is: I prefer the Slow Motion paper Tear. Why don't you give it a try Charlie Smile
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Quote:
On 2011-07-09 21:03, TommyJ wrote:
I fell in love with Ron Wilson's Slow Motion Paper Tear years ago and I have used it ever since. As I understand it, his version is a version of the Elmsley paper tear. I love the ease of handling and the very fast and convenient 30 second re-set.

A lot can be said for flash restorations. They are amazing to watch. But I love the look of the slow motion paper tear as it appear the paper simply "melts" back together and it appears that you are left so clean at the end. I added a clip below. I incorporated a little of Ron's patter. (RIP Ron and thanks for the contribution to Magic. You will be missed. )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fB_1yrohKs

Tommy...that is, indeed, a very nice paper tear. Dangit...I'm gonna have to get a loan jus to buy and try paper tears.

I am hoping to see Gene Anderson in a couple of weeks. I want to discuss all this with him, as well.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Newspaper Tears I have known:

Al Baker Newspaper Tear
Neil Foster Center Newspaper Tear
Marconick Center Newspaper Tear
U.F. Grant's Foolzum Newspaper Tear
Al Koran Newspaper Tear
Pat Page 10 Second Newspaper Tear
Alan Shaxon Newspaper Tear plus vanishing Liquid
Joel Bauer's Trade Show Torn & Restored Newspaper
Magic Hands Newspaper Tear plus vanishing Liquid
Karroll Fox Newspaper Tear
Alex Elmsley Newspaper Tear
Ron Wilson Newspaper Tear
Slydini Newspaper Tear
Robert Harbin Newspaper Tear
Alex Hecklau News Flash Newspaper Tear
No Tear Newspaper Tear
Robert Baxt Better Newspaper Tear

I know there is a couple I have missed. Start collecting, they are all very good. It makes sense that everyone should not be doing the same newsapaper tear trick.

I personally like Neil Foster's and Alan Shaxon's tears.
I combine "Egg In Paper Plus" with the Neil Foster Center Tear.
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
My first exposure to learning the paper tear was the slow restoration. I learned it from a vetran performer who owned a magic shop. He tried to sell me on the beauty of a slow restoration. Out of respect to him I could not tell him how bad I really wanted to do the flash restoration I saw and how much "cooler" it looked. Once I learned the Anderson tear - I never looked back. I can prepare a new one in about 1 minute, so I'm not sure where the concern of prep time is. Sure I use stick glue instead of rubber cement and I use the wire for artificial roses in place of what Gene recommends, they work better for me. I admit I have the luxery of only doing a few shows a day vs some who may have so many shows a week that the time is a factor, but I enjoy the fact that I can choose my production method that gets the maximum reaction for me, without concern of a little extra effort. I also wonder if audiences are just being polite to those who perform a slow restoration (just like I was to the one who taught me the routine). When people see mine - they gasp.
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
Quote:
On 2011-07-11 11:30, Mike Maturen wrote:

Tommy...that is, indeed, a very nice paper tear. Dangit...I'm gonna have to get a loan jus to buy and try paper tears.

I am hoping to see Gene Anderson in a couple of weeks. I want to discuss all this with him, as well.

Thanks Mike. I used to perform Gene Anderson's paper tear all the time. Then I saw Ron Wilson perform his Slow Motion paper tear on a video tape from Hank Lee's conclave, I think it was 1993, and I fell in love with it. I had to keep rewinding the tape over and over and I hadn't a clue how he did it. I found out thru a friend that he wrote his routine up in his book "The Uncanny Scot" and the rest is history. Unlike a flash restoration (which everyone and his Uncle are doing) the audience can see the paper slowly restoring. To me, it looks as close to real magic as it gets. I'm glad a lot of guys aren't performing it! Smile
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Is that the only place the effect is available, through the book?

I'll have to see if I can find it used...I believe it sells new for $45.

I am still waiting for the Gene Anderson DVD...plus if he is at the July IBM meeting, I'm going to try to bend his ear for a bit.
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1378 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
Gene Anderson, hands down for me. I do some alterations to the effect, making it accident-proof and doable outdoors in a gale, if I am so inclined! Smile
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Excellent, Autumn! I just received and watched Gene's DVD today...and will start working on it this weekend. I also found Ron Wilson's Slow Motion Tear, which I will also begin to work on.
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1378 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
You will love it, Mike! PM me if you want to know how to make it bullet-proof!
Best,
Autumn
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Thanks Autumn!
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Can I share your thoughts with Gene if/when I see him next week? If so, go ahead and PM me your "bullet-proof" ideas.
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com