The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Boxes, tubes & bags :: Torn and restored newspaper? (16 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Domino Magic was spot on. I will add just two things to what he said:

First, you do not need an absolutely perfect tear every time, just as long as it is not a completely errant and large rip. Even then, theoretically, it would still not matter, but it would take a certain amount of more-than-necessary fiddling to make it work. As Domino said, if it tears a little more/differently than you want it to, just move on and keep going.

Second, occasionally and just because I could, I used an edged (read: sharpened) letter opener on stage to tear the sheets during the routine, then I removed one small and single section of torn newspaper. After the restoration, everything was whole again except the missing piece of newspaper. That missing piece, and the letter opener used to tear the paper, were then used to do a Knife Through Coat effect with a borrowed coat. This combination of effects always worked very well for me, but I did not always to the Knife Through Coat.

Anyway, you can use a blade or create perforations as suggested by Domino - but you will still need to practice and try different versions to find the one that best suits your needs.

I hope this information is useful to you.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2011-07-05 08:06, mattia wrote:
How is it possible to tear the newspaper in a "clear" and precise way? I tried folding it hundred of times, I tried ironing and also using glue,but the tear always go wherever it wants...

Go to a fabric store, purchase a dress makers wheel. Use this to score the newspaper.

You can actually learn to tear a paper kind of straight buy practice tearing and learning how to tear in opposite directions when things start going in another. It takes lots of practice.
jskalon
View Profile
Special user
Shorewood, IL.
869 Posts

Profile of jskalon
Is there a demo of Paula's tear? Also, who carries it? I heard about the tear here on the Café awhile back, but this is the first mention of it since then.
Thanks
Jack Skalon

"That's my story and I'm stickin' to it"
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2011-07-05 10:30, jskalon wrote:
Is there a demo of Paula's tear? Also, who carries it? I heard about the tear here on the Café awhile back, but this is the first mention of it since then.
Thanks

If you searched you would find that Paula Paul aka Alexandra the Great is a stripper. Doing magic topless. I think if there was a demo you would have to pay to see it.

I think the guy is just 'pulling your leg', as he would not have paid any attention to the newspaper tear.
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Hegblini...LOL.

Maybe we could re-name that one the "Double Barrel" Paper Tear?
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1293 Posts

Profile of GlenD
No mention of Baxt's Better Newspaper Tear (unless I missed it)... well now there is. It's the one I use and I can't really compare it to the others since I never performed any other version. It's not broke and has always gotten me rgeat reactions so I never attempted to "fix it" or learn other methods. Although I have seen different versions performed and some I have really really liked as well. The Baxt paper tear is basically a quicker/cleaner setup and reset than Gene Anderson version but about the same otherwise. Like any other version, practice until you got it down cold then kill 'em with it.

Glen
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3700 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Glen, I too do the Baxter Tear. I've been doing it for about two months. I really like it because there's no glueing and I can set one up in one or two minutes.

I did have an issue with the paper tearing in certain places during the restore, but this was solved with a couple of pieces of Scotch tape. It's an extra step, but still much simpler than Anderson's (which I also have).

Jim
Ony Carcamo
View Profile
Special user
Manila, PHILIPPINES
608 Posts

Profile of Ony Carcamo
Quote:
On 2011-07-05 10:30, jskalon wrote:
Thanks

I got the instructions directly from Paula a looong time ago. I believe she's the only one selling it. I was searching the thread she started about her version here at the Café but I couldn't find it now...
Ony Carcamo
PHILIPPINES

www.onycarcamo.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Here is Paula Paul's profile page:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/bb_pr......user=950

Ony Carcamo - here is your posts from 2010.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=8&10

There is no demo of this trick. She also does dove magic and large bird magic.

She has not been on the Café in a year.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3700 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I think she officially retired.

Jim
jskalon
View Profile
Special user
Shorewood, IL.
869 Posts

Profile of jskalon
HMMM. AGAIN another one of my replies (a reply I made to a post) has mysteriously disappeared. Amazing! It must be magic. Funny the last time this happened was when I posted a reply to the same person.
It must be nice to have that POWER!
Jack Skalon

Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2011-07-05 21:43, jimhlou wrote:
I think she officially retired.

Jim

Yes, but her posts in the dove section, Polly Wants a Cracker, of the Café, suggested she would be around to share some ideas and sell some her illusions.
jskalon
View Profile
Special user
Shorewood, IL.
869 Posts

Profile of jskalon
Thanks Jim.
I was just curious because I love Torn and Restored Newspaper effects and would like to start collecting the different versions.
Jack Skalon

Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
I just found out that Gene Anderson is a member of the IBM Ring that is closest to my house. I live two hours away, which is why I am not a member of that local ring. I had always known that there was a Gene Anderson that was a member there (I was a guest a few times when I was a teen)...but I never put the two together.

I am going to try to make the July meeting to discuss this discussion with him. Should be fascinating!
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Quote:
On 2011-07-06 22:12, Mike Maturen wrote:
I just found out that Gene Anderson is a member of the IBM Ring that is closest to my house. I live two hours away, which is why I am not a member of that local ring. I had always known that there was a Gene Anderson that was a member there (I was a guest a few times when I was a teen)...but I never put the two together.

I am going to try to make the July meeting to discuss this discussion with him. Should be fascinating!

Wait, Gene Anderson - In Michigan? What city? If you would rather not publically post and would not mind, PM me the info please!
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Gene is in the Bay City area.
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
I too am considering doing this effect and from the videos I have seen online I do like the look of Axel Hecklau's version.
How long is the set up time on it?

Also, I've never seen anyone do a really funny version of this trick. Apart from doing a few headline gags most routines I have seen are pretty dry.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2011-07-08 10:37, magicgeorge wrote:
I too am considering doing this effect and from the videos I have seen online I do like the look of Axel Hecklau's version.
How long is the set up time on it?

Also, I've never seen anyone do a really funny version of this trick. Apart from doing a few headline gags most routines I have seen are pretty dry.

Hecklau version 2.0 gives several methods for set up, one he says only takes 2 seconds. Anderson's takes 10 minutes if you know what you are doing.

Your are absolutely correct, I have not seen any comedy presentations of the torn and restored newspaper. I wonder why the audience always laughs at the tearing and restoration of the trick anyway. Could it be the actual trick in itself?

Maybe you should come up with a comedy presentation for this trick, it would be unique if you are performing for magicians.
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
I might have to look into this variation as well. I have also heard good things about Baxt's version.
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Quote:
On 2011-07-08 12:18, wmhegbli wrote:
Your are absolutely correct, I have not seen any comedy presentations of the torn and restored newspaper. I wonder why the audience always laughs at the tearing and restoration of the trick anyway. Could it be the actual trick in itself?

Maybe you should come up with a comedy presentation for this trick, it would be unique if you are performing for magicians.

Just after I posted that remark I looked in the next thread along and there was Geoffrey Durham posting. I'd forgotten about his presentation which was (& still is I presume!) pretty amusing and darned entertaining.

It was just a variation on the classic patter I believe.

I suppose it's just a good effect and has little room for variation or too much comedy. Maybe it's best left as just the kind of effect that is short and sweet with a couple of gags.

I can't come up with much funny about it. Newspapers are in the news at the moment what with the news of the world and daily star debarcle. I think you'd probably get a good response from just ripping up a news of the world and leaving it at that at the moment...