The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Boxes, tubes & bags :: Torn and restored newspaper? (16 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3695 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
Of all the version of Torn and Restored Newspaper I've seen, Ron Wilson's version of the Elmsley Tear (in The Uncanny Scot) is the by far the best.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3695 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
It is a beautiful presentation:

Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1020 Posts

Profile of Quentin
Quote:
On Jul 10, 2011, JNeal wrote:
Not to hijack the thread or anything, but I've never figured out what (if any) is the difference between Ron Wilson's Version and the original Elmsley.
I have the printed instructions for both (Elmsley's method was sold by Magic Inc for ...$2.00!) and it beats me!

Still, it is my favorite method and has tremendous impact on an audience if the presentation is good.
Regards-
JNeal

In Ron Wilson's handling he pastes in an extra page, denoted as "A" in the instructions from his book.It doesn't appear in the Elmsley book explanation, nor Nick Lewin's handling.
kcbeave
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of kcbeave
I had a thought about the torn and restored newspaper. With physical papers being read less every day, how long before the printed newspaper will no longer be available? and what will replace it.
Might have to start start stocking up.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
It is not possible to "Stock Up" newspapers, the paper has a very short lifespan before they start to deteriorate. Newspapers will not go out of style. The problem is the youth today do not like to read, and most cannot comprehend the English language. Those are the ones that will be left behind in business. Corporations depend on newspapers to find out the latest stock market and interest rates that will be charged, and the latest trends.

Then there is all the information the common consumer needs to know what is happening in his town, city, and country. Not every person is connected to Internet, and never will be total acceptance.

I have not seen one website that has been able to format a web-page like a newspaper or magazine. Then with the constant bombardment of ads that cover up the printed page, it will not be successful in a computerized form.

Look at the magazine market, they have double the price and they are still being sold. Do you know that there use to be a torn and restored magazine cover. The marketed trick is gone, but the magazine is still here at every grocery store and variety store stand.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Quote:
On Feb 13, 2020, kcbeave wrote:
I had a thought about the torn and restored newspaper. With physical papers being read less every day, how long before the printed newspaper will no longer be available? and what will replace it.
Might have to start start stocking up.

I think it will be some time before they start dissapearing completely. It is getting tricky to find particular sizes, like the ones for Gene Anderson’s hat folding routine in his book. Even those can be found if you know where to look.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
I've moved over to using advertising papers which are tossed on my lawn every week and need recycling anyway. They are also available in supermarkets, usually at the front door, and no one minds if you take duplicates. I even wrote an e-Book about tearing and restoring those big coupon pages.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I like to use the free newspaper that most restaurants have as you enter the door. Just grab a handful as you leave after dining. We have a small town that was annexed by the city many years ago. They still print a community newspaper a little larger then the tabloid papers sold in stores.

These are good for some funny patter as well, like the one on retirement. Tabloids are good for patter as well, with all the lies they print.

Neil Foster's Center Tear is my Favorite, always gets great reaction, an I follow it after the restore with the Egg in Newspaper vanish.

Newspaper Tears have always been a great opener, closer, or middle of the act magic effect. Adding an additional effect with a page or pages of the newspaper, adds an additional audience reaction.
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of wally
Wish I could find a dvd explanation for Ron Wilson torn / restored newspaper,
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Quote:
On Feb 28, 2020, wally wrote:
Wish I could find a dvd explanation for Ron Wilson torn / restored newspaper,

Do you have his book? It’s one of my favorite books- the newspaper tear, chop cup, color changing silk, confabulation and of course the highland hop!
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of wally
Prefer explanations on dvd,
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Quote:
On Feb 29, 2020, wally wrote:

It's on volume 4 of the Alex Elmsley Tahoe Sessions DVD. It's his tear.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Mar 1, 2020, Leo H wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 29, 2020, wally wrote:

It's on volume 4 of the Alex Elmsley Tahoe Sessions DVD. It's his tear.

Does is say in the Video it is Ron Wilson's Tear? If you read this forum, it was noted Ron Wilson added something to Elmsley's preparation.
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Elmsley's tear is just fine in the DVD. If you learn it, Wilson's addition is a hop away. The DVD says nothing about Ron Wilson. It's not his tear. In the Uncanny Scot book Kaufman credits Elmsley for the tear.
kcbeave
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of kcbeave
Many years ago I did a torn and restored newspaper with a full size paper. I can't for the life of me remember how to do it even though the setup was very simple and only took 15 to 30 seconds and after the usual tearing, the paper was popped open and the pages were shown front and back to be restored. it was in my opinion the best due to the ease of setup and how fast it opened to reveal the restoration. Anyone have a clue which tear this is?
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5446 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Without knowing more I'd guess you were using a version of Pat Page's "10 second newspaper tear". It's a quick set-up as you describe.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Karroll Fox had a full single sheet newspaper tear, sold by Magic Inc., clever like a Fox, but used a simple switch. Came with an 8 by 10 photo paper of photographs.

Abbott's sold a single sheet as well, used a gimmick to hold the pieces to the back of the paper.

KCbeave, can't you remember any additional hints that you did during the learning process, or didn't you ever learn it or perform it?
kcbeave
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of kcbeave
Thanks for the replies, I have not done it in probably 20 years and a friend I had not seen in almost as long visited and asked me to show him because he had forgotten also. I started by laying open 2 sheets of news paper stacked together and tearing the right inner page at the center and up half way. at that moment, I could not remember anything else, whether I used rubber cement or ds tape. That is whete I am stuc, I can't even remember where I learned it.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The Pat Page and Alan Shaxon tears both start the preparation by tearing the up the half page to form a pocket, as part of the setup. Not as part of the presentation. They both use tabloid size newspaper.