The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Boxes, tubes & bags :: Torn and restored newspaper? (16 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
JassTan
View Profile
Regular user
Singapore
105 Posts

Profile of JassTan
Have been using Gene Anderson's Newspaper Tear for the longest time, can't wait to try out Axel Hecklau's version seems like a lot of people like it.
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1097 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
Love Newsflash!

Bairefoot
AndreOng1
View Profile
Regular user
SIngapore
110 Posts

Profile of AndreOng1
Newsflash is what I use in my shows, It's easy to perform, gets great reactions.
bkmeyer
View Profile
Regular user
Greenville, SC
119 Posts

Profile of bkmeyer
Question for you Newsflash 2.0 users:

Do you use the surrounded version for non-surrounded venues, or is that running when no one is chasing? Just purchased Newsflash a few months ago and love it but I'm curious what you've run into in performance. Thanks for your input.

Bruce
tgplano
View Profile
Special user
Ted Gillam
614 Posts

Profile of tgplano
I use it in every show. I like the tabloid version and have never used the surrounded version. Never seen the need for the surrounded version. I just hold it relatively close to my body.

However, a word of warning. If you don't follow the instructions in the reveal correctly and accidently hold the final packet upside down for the final reveal the packets will come up on the outside of the restored sheet, not the inside.

Ted
Mentalism for the Metroplex
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1368 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
I also use it all my shows. I have never had a need to do the surrounded version.

This is one of my all time favorites to perform.

Mark
Only he who can see the invisible can do the impossible. Frank L. Gaines
Lester
View Profile
Regular user
Scotland. U.K
193 Posts

Profile of Lester
Axel Hecklau every time. Newsflash 2.O worth its weight in gold to every magician!
bkmeyer
View Profile
Regular user
Greenville, SC
119 Posts

Profile of bkmeyer
Thank you for your help, Ted, Mark, and Lester.
GlennLawrence
View Profile
Veteran user
Randolph NJ
322 Posts

Profile of GlennLawrence
Anyone use the Slydini Newspaper tear? I've played around with it but have never performed it, would be curious to hear from those who have, thanks-
tgplano
View Profile
Special user
Ted Gillam
614 Posts

Profile of tgplano
GlennLawrence: I played with it and felt that Newsflash 2.0 was much better.

Ted
GlennLawrence
View Profile
Veteran user
Randolph NJ
322 Posts

Profile of GlennLawrence
Thank you Ted! I appreciate your response and perhaps I will look into Newsflash.
martini
View Profile
Special user
delta, pennsylvania
548 Posts

Profile of martini
Greetings Lester;
It is good to see you again, hope you and the family are all in good health.

These are my thoughts about the torn and restored newspaper.

I have played with just about every newspaper tear on the market. In 1969 I bought
the Al Baker tear from Phil Thomas the the old Yogi Magic Shop in Baltimore. A couple of
years later while visiting with Frank Garcia in New York, Frank took me over to visit with
Slydini and he graciously spent almost 3 hours covering every detail of his tear, which I
have used ever since.

In the 80's Denny Haney talked me into trying the Gene Anderson tear, and that one I
used for a while as well. Up through the late 90's I would use Gene Anderson's for my stage
performances, and Slydini's for banquet and smaller shows.

I have played with most of the others through the years, but still kept coming back to
those two, I guess more out of sentimental value than anything else, but a few years back I
had the chance to see Axel Hecklau's tear and I fell in love with it.

I still do Slydini's tear just to keep in practice as I'm not getting any younger, lol
But the one I use in all my shows now is Axel's. It has all the points checked off, making
it ideal for any situation. Also being in this business for as long as I have, I have to say
that Axel's DVDs cover every detail going way above and beyond anything else out there.

It reminds me of the detail that Ken Brooke put into The Nemo Jumbo Card Rise years ago.
So for what it is worth, I highly recommend Axel's Newsflash 2.0.

If the price is putting you off, remember that quality is always worth any price and in
the end, you are investing in yourself, not another trick for the desk drawer.

All the Best
Marty
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of thomasR
You can always combine some things... I use a modified version of Jim Steinmeyer’s script, Ron Wilson’s physical routine, ending with some tears from Gene Anderson’s book.

I think the Ron Wilson handling is the cleanest you can get.
Nem
View Profile
New user
Florida
59 Posts

Profile of Nem
Quote:
On Jul 11, 2011, TommyJ wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-07-11 11:30, Mike Maturen wrote:

Tommy...that is, indeed, a very nice paper tear. Dangit...I'm gonna have to get a loan jus to buy and try paper tears.

I am hoping to see Gene Anderson in a couple of weeks. I want to discuss all this with him, as well.

Thanks Mike. I used to perform Gene Anderson's paper tear all the time. Then I saw Ron Wilson perform his Slow Motion paper tear on a video tape from Hank Lee's conclave, I think it was 1993, and I fell in love with it. I had to keep rewinding the tape over and over and I hadn't a clue how he did it. I found out thru a friend that he wrote his routine up in his book "The Uncanny Scot" and the rest is history. Unlike a flash restoration (which everyone and his Uncle are doing) the audience can see the paper slowly restoring. To me, it looks as close to real magic as it gets. I'm glad a lot of guys aren't performing it! Smile

I too am glad a lot of guys aren't doing it as well. It's a GREAT torn and restored.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of thomasR
The Ron Wilson is my favorite as well. I really love the clean display of the paper at the end.
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
Quote:
On Apr 8, 2019, thomasR wrote:
The Ron Wilson is my favorite as well. I really love the clean display of the paper at the end.

Totally. And the re-set is one of the easiest among all paper tears. So practical. Mindblowing too!
"Keep the Kids Laughing!"
https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I have the Anderson tear and the Slydini tear in my library. The Slydini tear no longer details the restoration process the way they used to. It just says "follow the photos" (very blurry photos, I might add) "to restore the paper." I know for a fact that the old copy of the tear I USED to own went into great detail on how to properly restore the paper. The Anderson tear is rather involved in preparation.

I have a problem which probably doesn't effect you guys as much. My local paper; The Providence Journal, costs $2.00 a copy! Maybe $8.00 isn't a lot to you guys, but I have trouble justifying it.

We used to have a free tabloid paper called The Providence Phoenix, and I tried to use that. But they've gone out of business! Their replacement is more of a magazine, with a stapled spine, so I don't think I can use it.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
tgplano
View Profile
Special user
Ted Gillam
614 Posts

Profile of tgplano
I'd love to get a copy of the Ron Wilson Newspaper Tear. Anyone have a source?

Ted
Nem
View Profile
New user
Florida
59 Posts

Profile of Nem
It is in the book written by by Richard Kaufman, "The Uncanny Scot".
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Yes! Great book. Highland Hop is in there (card trick) along with his excellent color changing silk routine, his crazy good chop cup, and his confabulation.