The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Finger/stage manipulation :: Card Manipulation. Eduardo Galeano. Le plus grand cabaret du Monde. (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Octarine Prince
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of Octarine Prince
He wasn't performing for 8-year-olds who MAY think he actually did have "magic."

He was performing for people who know "It's in the other hand," etc., but are applauding his performance. The card catch is almost like a reminder that "Hey, I am just having fun, and want you to have fun, too!"

The kid "got" skillz. Leave him be.
dahih beik
View Profile
Special user
palestine
817 Posts

Profile of dahih beik
This was really great
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1913 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Dai Vernon wrote (and I personally heard him repeat it) that the most perfect magic act in the history of our art was Cardini, the Suave Deceiver. Cardini included flourishes in his act. I quote from this previous Café post detailing his act as it was presented in 1931:
-----begin quote-----
Forms round fan in left hand showing spots of cards. Repeats and passes fan from hand to hand. Then three more such fans, each smaller than the preceding one. Riffles one-half of deck into the other and forms a double fan.
(Retrieved from http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=10)
-----end quote-----
Making a double-fan is not magic, it is a flourish. But if it was good enough for the greatest magician of all time to include in his classic professional act, then that to me validates it as justifiable in any magic act. In the his abbreviated act from "Festival of Magic," Cardini does some flourishes with a single white billiard ball. Nothing "magical" about that! That was purely a demonstration of juggling skill. But of all the acts on that TV program (which incuded performances by Sorcar, TWGM), Cardini's was IMHO the closest that comes to REAL magic.

In one of my essays on what constitutes a magic effect, I use the one-hand knot as an example. I point out that there are "trick" ways to "magically" shake a knot into a length of rope. Explanations for trick ways for creating that effect are written up in many children's magic books. But there are also three or four legitimate ways to shake a knot into an unprepared length of rope. It seems to me that the "trick" ways (where the knot is already in the rope but hidden) would be "magic" by some definitions, but the flourish way by those same definitions would not be magic, but "mere" demonstrations of skill. I would have to think, though, that in the mind of the audience, the effect is the same--and I would venture to say the sleight of hand version looks more like "magic" than the trick versions.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Sorcerer
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of Sorcerer
Great act, great scenic presence, and of course for me... great MAGIC.

Eduardo's act brings freshness and some new techniques compared to traditional manipulation acts.

His timing is very pleasant to watch, I prefer this to frantic Asian manipulators where the productions are so fast that you really never see the hand empty.

Congratulations! Smile Smile
Peter Pitchford
View Profile
Elite user
Philly
423 Posts

Profile of Peter Pitchford
Quote:
On 2011-06-23 15:03, Anatole wrote:
Dai Vernon wrote (and I personally heard him repeat it) that the most perfect magic act in the history of our art was Cardini, the Suave Deceiver. Cardini included flourishes in his act. I quote from this previous Café post detailing his act as it was presented in 1931:
-----begin quote-----
Forms round fan in left hand showing spots of cards. Repeats and passes fan from hand to hand. Then three more such fans, each smaller than the preceding one. Riffles one-half of deck into the other and forms a double fan.
(Retrieved from http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=10)
-----end quote-----
Making a double-fan is not magic, it is a flourish. But if it was good enough for the greatest magician of all time to include in his classic professional act, then that to me validates it as justifiable in any magic act. In the his abbreviated act from "Festival of Magic," Cardini does some flourishes with a single white billiard ball. Nothing "magical" about that! That was purely a demonstration of juggling skill. But of all the acts on that TV program (which incuded performances by Sorcar, TWGM), Cardini's was IMHO the closest that comes to REAL magic.

In one of my essays on what constitutes a magic effect, I use the one-hand knot as an example. I point out that there are "trick" ways to "magically" shake a knot into a length of rope. Explanations for trick ways for creating that effect are written up in many children's magic books. But there are also three or four legitimate ways to shake a knot into an unprepared length of rope. It seems to me that the "trick" ways (where the knot is already in the rope but hidden) would be "magic" by some definitions, but the flourish way by those same definitions would not be magic, but "mere" demonstrations of skill. I would have to think, though, that in the mind of the audience, the effect is the same--and I would venture to say the sleight of hand version looks more like "magic" than the trick versions.

LIKE (thumbs up)
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
Beautiful and creative work eduardo.
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1913 Posts

Profile of Anatole
In reference to the classic magic texts... Fitzkee was good in his time, just as Hoffman was good in his time. And don't get me wrong--they are still good. But I think it would be not only useful but essential also to read more recent books on presentation and magic theory like _Beyond Deception_ by Tobias Beckwith and attend lectures by people like Denny Haney. Note that I qualified that remark with the adverb "also." The classics in magic need to be studied, just as classics in fine art like painting need to be studied. One can learn a lot from studying da Vinci, but to ignore Norman Rockwell, Andrew Wyeth and Frank Frazetta because they are more contemporary would be a disservice to an artist's personal development.

That said, here's an interesting Steve Martin quote from Wikipedia's article on Fitzkee:
In his memoir, Born Standing Up, comedian and one-time magician Steve Martin describes Fitzkee's Showmanship for Magicians as "more important to me than The Catcher In The Rye," adding that they were, coincidentally, distant relatives by marriage.

(Retrieved August 29, 2011 from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dariel_Fitzkee

----- Sonny Narvaez
Wizzard
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of Wizzard
You deserved the Standing Ovation! Bravo!!!
Regards,
John
It's never the wand, it's always the magician
KingNothing
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of KingNothing
Quote:
On 2011-06-20 17:03, wmhegbli wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-06-20 16:20, bojanbarisic wrote:
In 15 years of Le Plus Grand Cabaret shows I have never seen a single performer who was not a TOP magician, juggler, acrobat etc. and performed there. Patrick and his crew really know their job and if Eduardo got a chance to perform there then he is for sure a great act.

Again, I am not saying his act is not good. It is just not magic to me. It is a manipulation act. Can't anyone see the difference.

Easily, but that is a distinction made by magicians. Can a layperson explain how the man is pulling dozens of cards from the air, as though by magic?
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Beautiful work. Congratulations.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2011-08-20 17:36, KingNothing wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-06-20 17:03, wmhegbli wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-06-20 16:20, bojanbarisic wrote:
In 15 years of Le Plus Grand Cabaret shows I have never seen a single performer who was not a TOP magician, juggler, acrobat etc. and performed there. Patrick and his crew really know their job and if Eduardo got a chance to perform there then he is for sure a great act.

Again, I am not saying his act is not good. It is just not magic to me. It is a manipulation act. Can't anyone see the difference.

Easily, but that is a distinction made by magicians. Can a layperson explain how the man is pulling dozens of cards from the air, as though by magic?

This is exactly my point, he is manipulating, and not pulling cards from the air. Thus he should bill himself as a manipulator and not a magician.

To comment on your question, can lay person's explain how the man is pulling cards from the air. Yes, they can, it 'is magic', that is their explanation. Magicians make everything seem like the only explanation is magic. As we use the definition of magic here on the Café. Manipulators show their skill at manipulation of objects, which this performance is as I viewed it.
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
The skills demonstrated in this video can certainly be applied to the creation of 'magic' as well as just a pleasing demonstration of 'skill.
To a degree, this is subject to the intent of the performer as well as the interpretation of the viewer. Meaning that a person who had never seen this sort of thing done, might consider parts of it as inexplicable 'magic. Some one with more life experience might just regard it as a pleasing series of surprises performed with effortless skill. This is in many ways akin to Shimada's two acts: the dove act is clearly more magical because the technique is so well hidden and clean ...and the parasol act while 'magical' in theme..is really a series of surprises , because the parasols 'possible' hiding places are more evident.

As to the performer's intent; Cardini is the finest exponent of this kind of material because the ratio of genuine magical moments is greatest, relative to the obvious demonstrations of 'skill ( ie; flourishes). Cardini has woven the misdirection to a higher level than anyone else as well by making it character and situation driven. Most of the 'magic' in Cardini's act is observed by us through the puzzlement of his own character.

Obviously, each performer has the option of including crowd pleasing flourishes to any degree that they wish...in Cardini's case, it was kept to a minimum and other performer's have played the same material for it's demonstrable skill. So be it.

I think William's point is that he would prefer the Shakespearean definition that "Art lies in concealing art (skill)" and the closer we hew to that standard...the more likely it is to look like 'magic'

Regards-
JNeal
visit me @ JNealShow.com
LaurensMalter
View Profile
Regular user
Belgium
131 Posts

Profile of LaurensMalter
Eduardo, I watch this show everytime it's on and MANY performers get standing ovations, but after a while you can see the difference, sometimes a performer get's a standing ovation because random people start standing up and the rest of the audience just goes along for the ride, when the performance was really a true piece of art, the audience jumps to their feet in 1 go, no hesitation, this second type of standing ovation applied for you, a brilliant performance and one of the best shows of this season, I've kept it recorded since I'm a big fan of 'Die Farellos' (the german monocycle act), but everything was right for you, the music, the costume, the routine, the audience, everything! Great Show!
bojanbarisic
View Profile
Elite user
Croatia
462 Posts

Profile of bojanbarisic
Eduardo has just produced a card manipulation DVD with many original ideas. I have seen a part of it and I am looking forward to see it all. DVD should be on the market by the end of this month.

regards,
Bojan
JackLangdell
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of JackLangdell
I would like to add my vote that this performance is real magic. Well done!
bojanbarisic
View Profile
Elite user
Croatia
462 Posts

Profile of bojanbarisic

DVD will be ready on October 5th. Hope Eduardo will post some more information soon.

regards,
Bojan
Sorcerer
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of Sorcerer
Seems really interesting. It's october 6th, someone can give more information, please?
Do you know how to buy it? Thanks
LaurensMalter
View Profile
Regular user
Belgium
131 Posts

Profile of LaurensMalter
Eduardo's DVD is currently only available in Spain.. It will spread out soon enough, tons of new material I assume.
Already pre-ordered my copy, haha.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Wow! Over 3 months and this DVD has not been received by the wholesaler, pre-orders are waiting. Anyone hear what the hold up is from Spain?

Does not do much good to promote a product and then not deliver. I admit this kind of instructional DVD can be very difficult to make, but when it was 1st announced, I would think it was at the production company getting burned.

How about an update!
bojanbarisic
View Profile
Elite user
Croatia
462 Posts

Profile of bojanbarisic
Bill you can always get it from Eduardo directly. Eduardo told me this was his first and last DVD. Production costs almost 3 Euros and he was offered by whole-sellers 7 Euros per piece ? If he was selling thousands of them I would understand but that is the price he was offered for 100-150 pieces ? I doubt he will sell it for that price. I got a copy from Eduardo when it came out and it is really a great card manipulation DVD.

Best,
Bojan