The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Knots and loops :: Best rope routine (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
cmyers
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of cmyers
The best advice I received on this forum was doing research and coming up with my own rope routine, which I did. Afterall everyones style is different. The problem I have with the routines I have researched is many cut the rope with fingers or a karate chop. I think it is better to act like you cut the rope with the scissors. I don't't think the magic cuts fool the audience at all and they realize the rope has been separated all the time. I would be happy to hear any comments. Do the imaginary scissors work or not?
Michael Landes
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Michael Landes
Quote:
On 2003-08-20 08:42, oldwilson_2000 wrote:
I recommend a simple cut and restored rope routine. I performed the scissorless routines a lot, and I found that it is far more powerful to use scissors and really cut the rope (or have a spectator cut the rope). The problem with the scissorless versions is that you shouldn't do both the cutting AND the restoration by magic. When you magically restore a magically cut rope, people tend to think that there was something fishy about the cutting in the first place (which is, of course, the truth). Apart from that, I have never seen anybody mime a real cutting of the rope convincingly. So my conclusion is: just cut that rope! There are plenty of moves that will do the job. You can hand the rope for examination before and after the routine. What more can you get from a rope routine? I believe MacKing's (other) rope trick is such a routine, where you actually cut the rope three times and restore it magically. If I am not mistaken, David Copperfield did this routine (slightly altered) in one of his TV specials.

Don't do knot routines. Knots cannot be seen well enough from a distance.

Best

Frank
Michael Landes
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Quote:
On 2003-08-20 08:42, oldwilson_2000 wrote:
I recommend a simple cut and restored rope routine. I performed the scissorless routines a lot, and I found that it is far more powerful to use scissors and really cut the rope (or have a spectator cut the rope). The problem with the scissorless versions is that you shouldn't do both the cutting AND the restoration by magic. When you magically restore a magically cut rope, people tend to think that there was something fishy about the cutting in the first place (which is, of course, the truth). Apart from that, I have never seen anybody mime a real cutting of the rope convincingly. So my conclusion is: just cut that rope! There are plenty of moves that will do the job. You can hand the rope for examination before and after the routine. What more can you get from a rope routine? I believe MacKing's (other) rope trick is such a routine, where you actually cut the rope three times and restore it magically. If I am not mistaken, David Copperfield did this routine (slightly altered) in one of his TV specials.

Don't do knot routines. Knots cannot be seen well enough from a distance.

I tend to agree that "restoring" a rope "cut" with the fingers has no impact, and in fact, is meaningless. But as to needing to actually cut the rope, I will respectfully disagree. I know of a number of "cuts" in which nothing is actually cut that are 100% convincing. My favorite is TenKai's but there are other approaches as well. But when I saw the Tenkai "cut" I truly believed the rope had been cut,
yet nothing was cut at all. Check it out if interested.

Best

Frank
Michael Landes
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Quote:
On 2003-08-17 19:25, odroj88 wrote:
I would really like to add a rope routine to my repertoire, but am kind of low on funds right now because I am buying a lot of other magic stuff at the same time. So instead of me buying a lot of different books and tapes on rope magic the n selecting one routine, which would cost hundreds of dollars, I would really appreciate it if you guys could recommend one really good one to me.

I’ve heard that Sander's Three ropes and a baby routine is good. I’ve also heard that Daryl, Aldo Colobini, and Mac King, not to mention Pavel, all have great routines. Which one, however would you call the best for close up or stand up parlor situations. Thanks a lot.

By the way, Flip did a stupendous and ideosyncratic routine that I loved. That was forty years ago, so I'm assuming it has become available by now. just great. Totally mystifying and funny as hell.
This thing is worth studying if only to learn about structuring a routine for maximum impact.
Magic-Scott
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of Magic-Scott
Daryl's Rope routine and Fiber Optics by Richard Sanders
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of wally
Looking for Ropemare video by Alexander De Cova, magicwalsh@gmail.com
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
The Tabary rope routine, they are the best I have seen.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
magicrope
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of magicrope
Quote:
On Nov 6, 2014, george1953 wrote:
The Tabary rope routine, they are the best I have seen.

Me too !
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3695 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
I would also highly recommend "In Over Your Head" by Steve Bedwell. It is a very funny and engaging rope routine.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Nov 17, 2014, Pop Haydn wrote:
I would also highly recommend "In Over Your Head" by Steve Bedwell. It is a very funny and engaging rope routine.

Steve Bedwell's rope routine has been off the market since the 1980's I believe. I did an extensive search for it when it was last discussed several years ago. He is a motivation speaker now and has not interest to sell the material he is using. That can happen, a person has a sleeper routine, and he does not know the value of it until it is sold out in a few months.

I wish people would stop recommending tricks and routines that are out of publication. Causes me to have anxiety attacks, and it is costing to much to keep going to the hospital.

People are even hanging on to them, and not selling on the 2nd hand market.

Pop Haydn, maybe you can cut a deal with Bedwell and market for him.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3695 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Too bad! I am glad I have a copy. It is the only comedy rope routine other than my own that I ever wanted to perform.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I found a video of Steve Bedwell doing his Rope routine "In Over Your Head" during my search. It does look good. Just not available, and that was a very long time ago, like 2006 or earlier.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3695 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
If it is linkable, could you put a link here, Bill?
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1654 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
There is another post where I recomended Harold Sterling (Long and Short) rope routine.
There are no difficult moves to remember so you can spend all your time entertaining the volunteer and the audiance during the performance of the routine.
Remember---the audiance never sees the clever moves with the rope, that is only for ones gratification.
Any simple rope routine is for you if it's very involved and entertaining.
Tricky Ricky
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hi Ricky!

Believe it or not! As great as Harold's Long & Short Rope routine is (and I knew Harold)I've seen it loused up, by inept "magicians" who mistakenly considered it a cut & restored rope routine.

The comedy stems from "perverse" situation of trying to "even up" the ends of the rope. Harold did restore the rope when he felt he had gotten all the laughs that he could out of the situation.

Doc Tarbell's C & R "revolutionized the cut & restored rope. He made it a real miracle. Its weak spot was the meticulous set up with the Tarbell gimmicks.

IMHO, Harold's Short & Long, as far as entertainment value, rivalled Tarbell's C&R.

The only weak spot in Short & Long is IMHO, that Harold used the old Edward Victor set up for the cut. Leon Maguire published in Hugard's Monthly in the mid '40s, a much better handling of the cut, by "changing the moment". In Victor's the timing is bad. All attention has been focussed on the place where the magician, must do a "move". Maguire "fixed" this.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
On Nov 17, 2014, Pop Haydn wrote:
If it is linkable, could you put a link here, Bill?

Ditto.

I have a copy of Bedwell's booklet, and found a link for of Christopher James performing it at the Magic Castle, but would appreciated seeing Bedwell's performnace.
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
JayF
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of JayF
Hi all,

When it comes to strolling, I think the Richard Sanders' routine is really good. It instantly resets and you can make the routine longer or shorter based upon your audience's attention span and your own feelings in the moment.

For stage work, some of you might like Dan Harlan's "Tight Rope" routine on his Pack Small, Play Big "Manipulation Show" DVD. Oscar Munoz also has a good routine on his DVD set. I'm planning to learn both routines to perform for repeat audiences.

I currently perform two rope routines in almost every kid and family show I do. I've performed both literally hundreds of times. One is Scott Guinn's presentation for the Rainbow Ropes. I think he calls it "The Magic Jumprope." This routine plays great! The other rope routine I perform in family shows is the Professor's Nightmare using Charles Pecor's presentation that he published in his book "The Craft of Magic." In fact, this is almost always my closer for family and kid shows.

One quick aside: I use Daryl's handling for the Nightmare from his rope routine and Pecor's presentation.

By the way, I usually take the props for Scott Guinn's Magic Jumprope routine with me to adult shows. There have been a couple of times that I showed up to do shows that were supposed to be just adults, and it turned out that there were a few kids there. I always fit the Magic Jumprope into the show using a little girl. Because of the storytelling involved, the adults always loved it.

I have some funny patter I wrote related to Harry Potter that I often use along with Scott Guinn's routine. If anyone is interested I'll be happy to type that up on here.

For adult audiences, I've used a number of rope routines over the years. Daryl's Rope Routine, the Jumping Knot of Pakistan, Bruce Cervon's routine, Whit Haydn's Mongolian routine, Jeff McBride's cut and restored routine, and a routine or two of Aldo Colombini's. Honestly, I enjoyed performing all of them. However, in my current adult shows, I tend to perform just two rope routines. One is the Professor's Nightmare, but using the hypnosis themed patter of James Lewis. The other is Roberto Giobbi's "The Houdini Rope Trick." Giobbi's routine is in the November 2009 issue of Genii. Wait a minute. What am I doing? Forget I said anything about that routine.

I'm up way later than I should be. I hope some of this is helpful. Just make sure you forget all about that Giobbi routine, ok?

Jay
websmith2000
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of websmith2000
I just purchased Steve Bedwell's "In Over Your Head" (used I believe) for $3! Crazy but true. I couldn't believe my luck.
CJRichard
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
542 Posts

Profile of CJRichard
This weekend I performed Pop Haydn's masterfully crafted Mongolian Pop Knot routine over and over again at a historical encampment. It was a hit every single time with people of all ages. (I've changed but one word in Pop's routine, because the Wampanoag Indians are an important part of our regional culture in Southeastern Massachusetts and fit with my historical time period. So I call it the Wampanoag Pop Knot.)

I purchased the manuscript, but I'm glad I've been able to watch Pop's performances online, because he does some subtle moves which he doesn't spell out in his written text.

Click here to view attached image.
"You know some of you are laughin', but there's people here tryin' to learn. . ." -Pop Haydn

"I know of no other art that proclaims itself 'easy to do.'" -Master Payne

Ezekiel the Green
Tukaram
View Profile
Loyal user
Iloilo, Philippines
227 Posts

Profile of Tukaram
I just bought the Mongolian Pop Knot recently and have not used it yet...

I love Richard Sanders Fiber Optics - always gets great reactions. I wish I had gotten a copy of Ian Garrison's Dances With Ropes. I cannot find it anywhere now.