The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Knots and loops :: Best rope routine (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
I can second that, I had no previous knowledge of rope magic, but picked up the routine *extremly* quickly, it was very well taught and gave insight on even basic moves like the Prof. Nightmare count that I've seen other performers(good ones) flub up on.

Fiber Optics is a highly visual routine that is really fun to perform and easy to pick up.

Check it out, it is perfect for so many reasons! It is also a great "middle" material, It is a really entertaining and visual routine that you can throw in to your show in-between the really "hard hitters". Finding material like that which works for you is really hard, and this really fits the bill.
Jason Fleming
View Profile
Veteran user
Marooned, Hawaii
374 Posts

Profile of Jason Fleming
I'm voting for Daryl's Rope Routine (which is based on George Sands). I have seen that play very well for children and adults, it resets instantly, and is easily embellishable (is that a word?).
MagicAndBlackjack
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of MagicAndBlackjack
Richard's rope rountine is outstanding. I had the pleasure to see it at a lecture and some phases even fooled me. The subtleties are awesome as well.

I don't understand how it involves a baby though. Smile

Two thumbs way up.

TJ
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
As for the scissorless cut, it probably depends a lot on the story line. On Flip's "Truly Magical Rope Magic" video, he uses the scissorless cut for "Flip's Routine". Since his routine makes continual reference to the "power within" and "unifying power principles" and all the mystical strength he gained from his first teacher in magic, a finger-snap cut makes sense. Also important is that the cut itself is not dwelt upon--it happens quickly and naturally within the emerging story.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
eliakim9
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of eliakim9
I can't believe people are just skimming over the name Tabary! like he's nothing! Have you actually done the Tabary act for anyone? If you have, boring is not the reactions you get from a truly baffling piece of rope magic. Oh yeah, he won a FISM with this act of his. I did this for my mom about 2 years ago, when I first learned it, she still talks about to this day! That's why I stay away from reading these types of forums too much. People are jaded, and everyone knows what's best. I still can't get over people saying Tabary's act IS BORING! And I guess your 60 phase oil and water isn't? Oh no, I know, how about your ultra fast and confusing reset variation, yeah laymen love those variations! Hey people magic is for laymen.
Craig Ousterling
View Profile
Special user
585 Posts

Profile of Craig Ousterling
Eliakim9- With all the coca cola we consume and the suger additives and MSG and crap the gov controlled FDA puts in our food the average attention span is... wait who said Tabery's routine is boring? Slow maybe but not boring.

(Hope ya'll caught the joke.)

14 years (ish) ago when I got Tabery's two elegant rope magic tapes, I said to myself I'm going to need to change this around and speed it up. I never actually worked on it past that thought. shame on me. however I do another rope routine which hasn't been mentioned here so I think I should shutup about it. Maybe it's time to revisit his tapes and see what comes out.

Craig
Michael Seay
View Profile
New user
Northern California
45 Posts

Profile of Michael Seay
Does anyone know how much (all, I hope) material from Tabary's book is on the DVD's?

Thanks,
Michael
majical
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of majical
Quote:
On 2003-08-27 23:17, Marc Levine wrote:
...leaving himself clean and leaving you in a state of @#$%^&%$#^*!!

LOL!

Just had to call attention to that comment....I found it halarious!!
Charlie Justice
View Profile
Inner circle
Mount Dora, Florida
1142 Posts

Profile of Charlie Justice
Richard Sander's FIBER OPTICS gave my rope magic the boost it need. I thought it was one of my best rope magic purchases ever.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Aldo's routines, "Mamma Mia Rope Routine" and "Tightrope" are both very good and very inexpensive. He also has a great booklet, "On the Ropes" with some teriffic stuff. many of the other sources mentioned above are also excellent, as is Slydini's routine. Bruce Cervon has a great short routine in "Ultra Cervon." Peter vanSpauwen's routine is in the book "Belgian Blockbusters," available directly from me for $25. It's off the beaten path. Flip's stuff is great, as is Pavel's.

For low budgets, the Abbott's Encyclopedia by Stewart james is excellent, and Karl Fulves' "Self-Working Rope Magic," while a misnomer, is very good as well.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Charlie Justice
View Profile
Inner circle
Mount Dora, Florida
1142 Posts

Profile of Charlie Justice
No comments about Richard Sander's DVD FIBER OPTICS? I thought it was full of some of the most visual rope magic I've seen in a long time. A lot of Tabary influence with comedy and speed.
Ollie1235
View Profile
Special user
England
533 Posts

Profile of Ollie1235
My slight variation of Daryl's rope routine. Daryl's rope routine is packed with magic, I recommend it highly.

ollie
PaxMentis
View Profile
Loyal user
Long Beach, CA
239 Posts

Profile of PaxMentis
From the date on the original post, it appears I'm a "Johnny come lately". Anyway, I was extremely impressed with Dick Williams UnGimmicked Miracle Linking Ropes. Tie three ropes together, each individually and watch them link themselves together without any manipulation of the knots. NO MAGNETS. Pure magic. And the best part is they can be used over and over again. They can be purchased for $22.50 from http://www.stevensmagic.com
I love em.

Pax Mentis
Do not go where the path may lead, but go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
rmoraleta
View Profile
Special user
Philippines
767 Posts

Profile of rmoraleta
I'm using Three Ropes and A Baby with slight variation added from Daryl's rope routine.

They are both excellent as well as the Tabary's.
daaaave
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of daaaave
Richard Sander's Fiber optics is one of the best rope routines in my opinion. I saw it at a lecture a while back before I was into rope magic and was utterly amazed by it.
larrylegal
View Profile
Regular user
Raleigh, NC
138 Posts

Profile of larrylegal
Has anyone seen John Zander's routine called "Loose Ends"? If so, any comments?
Alex R
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Alex R
Loose Ends is very good and not hard to do.
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
I highly recommend "The Mongolian Pop-Knot" by Whit Haydn. Smile

Been making a living with it since 1969.
mc_magi
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
949 Posts

Profile of mc_magi
I , uh, second(?) tabary's rope routine.
his teaching, although you may think that its slow, is just right if you are new to rope magic and are trying to follow whats going on the screen with the rope in your hands.

I ran through the performance once, skipped to the explnation, and spent about 40 minutes on the routine before the level of performance was enough for me that id perform in public.

I added in my own patter, burrowed some from tabary, and the reaction was very good.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I noticed only a passing reference to John Zander's Loose Ends routine. This is one of my singature walk-around pieces. It's easy to master and you can audibly hear the jaws hit the ground as you go through the routine. I especialy love the shock & laughter I get as the ends pop off into a little girl or boy's hands. This is a great street & restaurant bit that fits easily in a back pocket and resets instantly. I'm genuinely surprised that it hasn't been recommended before this.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org