The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Knots and loops :: Best rope routine (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2003-08-23 13:10, -The Scot- wrote:
Daryl's FISM winning rope routine is nice too, and is no where near as complicated as Tabary's. It is an extended 'professor's nightmare' with a rope sequence before the stretching.

It's on his 'Easy to Master Rope Magic' videos released by A1 Multimedia.

Kevin

Wasn't that the one that came with a poster showing the different moves? I hated trying to learn that routine. I kept losing my place in the text or on the poster trying to cross reference everything. I toyed with the idea of scanning the poster into my computer at work and retyping the routine with the pictures attached to the text... I'm not certain what happened, but I lost the file AND the printed routine at the same time!

Mind you, I hasten to add that I was really impressed with the routine itself. I really liked the "pulling the ends" off the rope leaving it an endless circle and reattaching the ends so you could continue with the routine. I just couldn't follow the convoluted text/poster format.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Aron Devin
View Profile
New user
Chattanooga, TN
78 Posts

Profile of Aron Devin
Paul Curry's book "World's Beyond" has some awesome routines including the great, classic trick Doug Henning did on one of his TV specials. Killer Stuff!
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5204 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
How good is the new Fiber Optics DVD by Richard Sanders.
The contents looks very interesting.

The only rope routines I do & recommend is Prof. Nightmare plus my Jump-O-Ring.
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Best rope routine?
For me, George Sands Sandsational rope with instant reset, no rope wasted by cutting, always ready. Great entertainment possible. But after all, for the spectators it is *just* a rope-routine, hopefully well and deceptively done.. Smile
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
paulsmagic
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of paulsmagic
Has anyone seen the DVD OPTIC FIBERS? It is a rope magic DVD. It looks interesting.
rmoraleta
View Profile
Special user
Philippines
767 Posts

Profile of rmoraleta
Quote:
On 2004-07-04 03:59, JoJo wrote:
Hi there,

Just wondering if anybody does Jeff McBride's rope routine from his Commando Act on his stage performing video? I think it's quite good and gets good reactions. Any thoughts?

JoJo

Somebody here in the Philippines has been doing this in his shows. Cut and restored routine. It was even shown on television.
The reaction from the audience was suprisingly astounding.

Posted: Aug 26, 2004 2:20am
-------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
-------------------------------------------------------

On 2004-07-08 12:51, Pete Biro wrote:
THE BEST ROPE ROUTINE is the one you decide to learn and master... and work on it for a few years developing every bit of entertainment you can wring out of it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I agree completely!
paulsmagic
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of paulsmagic
Tarbary is very good but don't knock Fiber Optics. It is a very well made DVD with good visuals and the teaching is superb. Worth the price.
respho
View Profile
New user
Hong Kong
74 Posts

Profile of respho
I have Fiber Optics and Tabary. Fiber Optics is more fast-paced and visual. I believe this has a steeper learning curve compared to the slower Tabary routine.

The magic in Fiber Optics is good but I personally don't like Sander's presentational style.

Also Tabary has a Volume 2 video which deals with knots and rings and this material is not found in Fiber Optics.

Both videos are worth getting.

My complain about these two videos is that the secret and principles are quite similar, and for me rope magic is very easy to figure out, especially when the routines are long, which leave you watching the later halves of the routines knowing what the magician is holding already.
Dario
View Profile
Veteran user
332 Posts

Profile of Dario
It depends of you.
Which kind of routine do you want to preform? Musical,serious, comedy, audience participation, long, short, practical, elaborated...

For me when more clear the better. But I believe that the strong point is to cut the rope and then restore it. If not is a bizarre and intriguing thing but not magic.
Perhaps the Tabary is an exception, is pure magic but a little "classy" to me. I think you can only do it with bacgorund music or with a not very interesting patter

The In over your head by Steve Bedwell is the opossite, very funny and audience involving but zero magic

The Pavel effects are great but as short pieces.

The Mama mia routine from Colombini or the Daryl's routine are more long and practical but less direct...

If I where you I would not look for a routine that a lot of magician do (At the end all the magicians look like the same). At least look for one that only a few are doing it.

You can also look in old book as the tarbell's course of magic or the abott's enciclopedia of rope tricks, look for interesting moves and then put points of yourself on it.

Hope this helps
Darío
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Please forgive me for my very strong opinion on this. Smile

BUT, there is NONE better than a well done George Sands *Ropesational* Smile, with a stronger finish then the original.

Straight forward magic, easy to reset and NO waste of rope!

barwald
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of barwald
Quote:
On 2004-09-11 12:52, Werner G. Seitz wrote:
Please foregive me for my very strong opinion on this.. Smile

BUT, there is NONE better then a well done George Sands *Ropesational*... Smile, with a stronger finish then the original...

Straightforward magic..easy to reset and NO waste of rope!
Is there a DVD or VHS of Sandsational. I currently do some of Flips stuff, Daryl's Rope Routine and the Tabary Routine. Just ordered Fiber optics and eventually want to put my own Routine together. Since I oviously like Rope, I'd love to view Sands Rope Routines, I keep hearing how good his is but have never seen it performed. Where can you get this one? I've had an ongoing search on ebay but no luck yet. Thanks, MagicManBob.com
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Quote:
Is there a DVD or VHS of Sandsational.
Not that I know of..sorry..

George put out a book and it even was described -without credit- in the Harry Stanley book *(Give a magician) Enough Rope*-way back, many many years back.. (as the *Unique Rope Routine*)

A lot of people overlooked it, me included.

It is hard to visualize the impact and entertainment value this routine has.

I've done it ever since around 1984. I love Daryl's, I love Tabariz work, but I stick to George Sands. Apart from all this, George is the original source where upon a lot of moves used today are based, like the *finger-cut*.

But, as mentioned one should see it done, a lot of people do it.

It's funny, that everything has to be on DVD or video to get recognized, but I have to admit it is often hard to visualize an effect by reading it.

Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3876 Posts

Profile of Julie
Yes, George Sands' rope routines and other super practical stuff is available in printed form including his "Fifty Years in Magic" series of self published books and a VHS. Please PM me if you are sincerely interested in obtaining any or all of these gems.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2004-08-13 02:46, rmoraleta wrote:
I really would like to see a demo of Three Ropes and A Baby.

I'm practicing it right now.

Rmoraleta,

I assume that you have the "Three Ropes and a Baby" manuscript (which includes the ropes). I believe that the Richard Sander's "Close-up Assassin" VHS tape (which is a "Companion Video" for the book by the same name and which is put out by The Camirand Academy of Magic) has a "performance only" demonstration of this effect at the end of the tape. It was demonstrated as part of Richard's video catalog and was stuck at the very tail end of the video tape. After seeing the demo, I immediately went out and bought the manuscript and ropes.

Caution!! Richard Sanders just recently released a new DVD called "Fiber Optics" which is a 16 phase rope routine which, as part of these 16 phases, I think includes all of the moves that are part of the "Three Ropes and a Baby" routine. There are complete instructions of all of these 16 phases. I believe that "Fiber Optics" is "Three Ropes and a Baby" ON STEROIDS!! Hence, it probably makes more sense to buy the new "Fiber Optics" DVD instead of the "Close-up Assassin" companion VHS tape.

Hope this helps.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
RonCalhoun
View Profile
Special user
Independence, KY USA
599 Posts

Profile of RonCalhoun
Quote:
On 2003-08-20 14:36, Pete Biro wrote:
I, frankly, do not like scissorless cut/restored rope routines... It is just me. Kinda makes no sense to a layman.

Pete, I respect you FAR to much too disagree with you. So I'll just say as for my tatse the scissorless cut is about as magicial as it gets. Hey If your really a magician why would you need scissors to cut the rope.

However you 100% right reminding us to stop and look at any routine not from a magician's standpoint put as a layman would view them.

Ron
wulfie66
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of wulfie66
I just got Fiber Optics and I must say that yes, it is a bit fast paced, especially for someone just learning all the moves and such. How does Tabary compare? How is his teaching compared to Richard Sanders? Any help in this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Wulfie
Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist ought to have his head examined.
AAAAA
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of AAAAA
Quote:
On 2004-08-14 11:57, mandrake01 wrote:
Quote:
On 2003-08-23 13:10, -The Scot- wrote:
Daryl's FISM winning rope routine is nice too, and is no where near as complicated as Tabary's. It is an extended 'professor's nightmare' with a rope sequence before the stretching.

It's on his 'Easy to Master Rope Magic' videos released by A1 Multimedia.

Kevin

Wasn't that the one that came with a poster showing the different moves? I hated trying to learn that routine. I kept losing my place in the text or on the poster trying to cross reference everything. I toyed with the idea of scanning the poster into my computer at work and retyping the routine with the pictures attached to the text... I'm not certain what happened, but I lost the file AND the printed routine at the same time!

Mind you, I hasten to add that I was really impressed with the routine itself. I really liked the "pulling the ends" off the rope leaving it an endless circle and reattaching the ends so you could continue with the routine. I just couldn't follow the convoluted text/poster format.

His rope effect is in print. It does come with a poster. I would suggest his video if your having probs with the poster.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
THE BEST ROPE ROUTINE is the one you decide to learn and master... and work on it for a few years developing every bit of entertainment you can wring out of it.

Absolutley spot on, I have just mastered a series of rope routines, lay people absoloutley love it.

Matt
Jeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Orlando, FL
1238 Posts

Profile of Jeff
Quote:
On 2004-08-17 02:43, Kjellstrom wrote:
How good is the new Fiber Optics DVD by Richard Sanders.
The contents looks very interesting.

The only rope routines I do & recommend is Prof. Nightmare plus my Jump-O-Ring.

Kjellstroms Jump-O-Ring is a great rope effect for kids. It's and easy way to get ten minutes out of a rope and ring and keep the kids involved.

Highly recommended.

Jeff Pierce
Available for order now:
http://www.thecardwarptour.com

See new, used, and collectable magic and books for sale at:
http://www.jeffpiercemagic.com
Richard Sanders
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sanders FX
174 Posts

Profile of Richard Sanders
I have worked a similar ending to the one described by Dennis above. I thought it was quite original, but I would imagine that just about anything has been done by someone somewhere at some time.
Anyhow, here it is.
After showing the 3 ropes equal, knot the short rope, and then the one end of the medium rope to the long rope. This gives you a long rope with 3 knots and one of them slides. You can play quite nicely with this if you have a nice patter line (any suggestions from the experts?). Then the ropes go into a changing bag with some knot dissolving powder, but it doesn't seem to work as the rope comes out with knots intact. It has been switched for a long rope with 2 fakes. Either cut these off, or slide 'em off and palm them.
The ending is good, as the single rope can be examined, just as the three were examined at the start.
I need some ideas on patter for this, including a good reason why the rope would need to go in the bag! Any ideas from the experts?
cheers
John