The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: David Regal - The Regal Ring Chain (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
A skeleton key would work.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Ron Vergilio
View Profile
Special user
Murrieta, CA
835 Posts

Profile of Ron Vergilio
Not many people have one of those in their pocket, Pete. Unless you're visiting a real old folks home. LOL

-Ron
May the magic in your life never disappear

*** Lou Serrano's Steel Ball Routine ***
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4756 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Ive got every version of ring to necklace that has been released. All stink with the notable exception of Alan Rorison's which is by far and away the best and most practical version I have ever seen. The load is truly amazing. Will be interesting to see how this one stacks up.
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
828 Posts

Profile of David Regal
The initial shipment - to my mailing list - went out yesterday. I am almost out of the $40 freebie that was part of that deal, and when that happens - I estimate Monday or Tuesday - I'll open sales to others. The video demo of the trick (which the mailing list people saw before purchasing) will be made public then, too.

The demo includes me simply doing the effect to camera, a clip of me performing it at The Magic Castle, on the street, etc.
MagicJuggler
View Profile
Inner circle
Anchorage, AK
1161 Posts

Profile of MagicJuggler
Approximately how thick is the chain? I have a house key that has a large opening that I've been using for a linking key and keyring of my own devising, and this sounds like it could make for a great finish to that routine.
Matthew Olsen

I heard from a friend that anecdotal evidence is actually quite reliable.
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
828 Posts

Profile of David Regal
The steel chain is 7/32" of an inch across - a hair under 1/4". The loading mechanics are wider, however, about 3/8" that the ring passes over.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Juggler... drill out the key's hole if you need to... then have it signed. Should be a killer.
Bobcatmagic
View Profile
New user
UK
31 Posts

Profile of Bobcatmagic
I'll be checking my mailbox regularly but I guess it will be a while yet as I'm in the UK. I love David's effects and thinking. His 5 books should be in everyone's library.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Mine arrived today - haven't even had a chance to watch the DVD yet, but the chain is very nice! I'm hoping to get to this tomorrow and post back.

Thanks!

Jim
maps
View Profile
Inner circle
1124 Posts

Profile of maps
Any reviews?
the heart is where the magic begins
Visit my website
[www.mascotsandpuppets.com]
MagicJuggler
View Profile
Inner circle
Anchorage, AK
1161 Posts

Profile of MagicJuggler
Thanks Pete, that's exactly where I was going with it.
Matthew Olsen

I heard from a friend that anecdotal evidence is actually quite reliable.
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
828 Posts

Profile of David Regal
I have just sold out of my $40 free give-away to my mailing list subscribers, so I am now opening sales to everyone else. If you go to my website, you will see the chain for sale at a special price.

Here is a link to the demo, now made public:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOiEb_P3RMU

I will tell you what you are looking at - this is a real chain, made of stainless steel, that has been gimmicked to work like a card-to-wallet.

David
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Can the card be signed? Smile

Posted: Jun 29, 2011 11:12am
Seriously.... David, when I first saw you do this you thought it was going to be around $100.00 -- That would be fine, but your actual price is amazingly low for what they get.
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
828 Posts

Profile of David Regal
This effect of mine has stirred debate, which doesn't surprise me at all. I get emails of thanks, and the occasional email that says things to the effect of "But I know you did a false transfer...I know you had the ring in your hand...so how is this magical???" Well, besides the fact that a performer could use a different (easier) vanish if he chose (hank, ring box, etc.) sleight of hand works. I explain it better in my response to a concerned emailer:

"I knew this trick would cause controversy, because it is so bold, but it is bold in the manner of the classic method for card-to-wallet. Needless to say, I performed the effect with a homemade version of the prop before having it manufactured, and card-to-wallet is an appropriate analogy.

Here is an exchange from [another forum] in which I talk about the trick, as does a person who saw it performed for an audience:

Re: REGAL RING CHAIN [Re: David Regal]
Chris Aguilar

Is it possible to load the ring without having to show the chain in an unclasped/open position? It would be great if the hands could go up and lift the chain without having to remove it.

Pete McCabe

That's what I thought, Chris, when David first showed this to me. But I saw this in the close-up gallery and the audience did not care. The reaction was fantastic—audible gasps.

Pete Biro

Right, Pete... too many magicians "think like magicians." I would add my old Army Dog Tags on the chain.

David Regal

It's exactly like card-to-wallet, where the effect is of a card miraculously transporting itself to a wallet...although the method for card-to-wallet is: You put the card in the wallet. One has to completely divorce oneself from the workings to understand the effect the trick has on the audience.

Similarly, here you have a specially-made prop that allows for the FAST and smooth incorporation of an item - instead of a card going into a wallet you have a ring being added to a chain. You get the ring onto the chain in the same amount of time it naturally takes to remove a neck chain, an action the audience is intimately familiar with...just as the action of removing a wallet from a pocket is an action the audience is familiar with.

As magicians it's hard to remember that with card-to-wallet, the audience is perceiving an empty hand going into the jacket, even though it is never shown. When one changes the palmed card to a finger-palmed ring, there is an extra display of an "empty" hand that can be thrown into the mix, which is nice.

I add some time after the false transfer, so the guilty hand is nowhere near the "ring hand" at the moment of the vanish. Of course, if one were to use a ring vanishing hank, this is not an issue, and the trick becomes very close to self-working.

I don't want anyone to buy a prop they can't put to use - I believe I've been very clear about what the ring chain accomplishes, and why, as in the case with a traditional card-to-wallet, a very bold action results in an amazing effect.

So, yes, I understand your concerns, but they are the same concerns as magicians who go to great lengths to avoid palming a card, as they don't want to reach into their jacket concealing an object they are not supposed to be holding. A lot of the no-palm methods are great, but the end effect is exactly the same to an audience, as to them a hand holding a palmed object is an empty hand.

To better explain, what if I were to show you two empty hands, then reach up and unclasp my necklace, taking it off to reveal a ring hanging from the center? It would be a miracle. Well, that is what an audience is seeing. To them I am reaching up with two empty hands. I usually have the guilty hand far, far away - and time has passed - before the "vanish" is executed. I can flash an empty palm via the Ramsay subtlety. And of course, if you use a vanishing ring-hank, then things are further simplified.

One would have to take the stance that is impossible to convincingly vanish an object for an audience, and/or secretly conceal an object, in order to say there is no effect with the Ring Chain. But vanishes and concealments are the heart of magic, so, yes, they do work.

What you are getting with the Ring Chain is a device that let's you get a ring onto a chain smoothly and quickly, just as with a card-to-wallet you are getting a prop that allows you to insert a card into it smoothly and quickly. That said, this is a prop for a performer who is comfortable with vanishes and concealments, and wants a device that, used in concert with them, can produce an effect that will indeed amaze people!

All the best,

David"
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
This rocks! Works well for me (though it can be a little tough with a t-shirt and long hair...) But I manage to work around it. I use a ring hank to vanish the ring and then "find" it on the chain around my neck, which is usually very unexpected by all! I've used Richard Sanders's "Any Ring" which works very well, and I have ordered the "No-Ring Ring Hank" from Fabric Manipulations but am still waiting on delivery.

Over all this has been a great purchase. Excellent product, super price - just what I expect from David Regal.

Thanks!

Jim
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
J-Mac, you will love the hank from Loretta at Fabric Manipulation!

I am going to throw my two cents in on this, although I personally have no use for this particular effect. As to what David Regal was saying about the controversy, this effect and its 'dirty hand' situation can be likened to any non-reel ring flight, but nobody ever seems to have an issue doing basically the same thing with those...

The saying that the 'problem with magicians is they always think like a magician' has been done to death but it is true; what is boring, bland, obvious and/or no good to us can be mind-shattering to an audience. As a magician it is important to never lose the ability to think like a layperson, or at least, the ability to see thing from their point of view. Far too many do.

Too many performers these days also look for the easy way out because they do not want to put time and effort into an effect, and that is where all good effects and their performers lose their ability to wow anyone.
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2445 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
I am a huge David Regal fan, I love that all his effects are real workers, not you tube phony stuff, that end up for sale here at half price, I do have a but, I would have purchased this at the promo price, but now at the higher regular price, it's a budget thing, I wish I got the email, but then it's my fault , I get too many emails and my Norton software gets bogged down, bummer.
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
828 Posts

Profile of David Regal
Uh...the new "higher price" is actually a lower cash outlay - only $60 (for now) - you just don't get the free Spectre handkerchief.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
David needs the money to pay his dentist. Then he'll be able to post a new avatar with a toothy grin. Smile
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Quote:
On 2011-07-02 12:12, David Regal wrote:
Uh...the new "higher price" is actually a lower cash outlay - only $60 (for now) - you just don't get the free Spectre handkerchief.

To be brutally honest Dave, they're better off without the Spectre handkerchief. Mine will never see the light of day again.

Jim