The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: A turn of the page :: What is the most $$$ you ever spent on a book? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of 1908
Quote:
On 2012-01-18 21:59, Kevin Connolly wrote:

You are now a true collector. Welcome to the club. Smile

I can name many other treasures I managed to collect all those years, very interesting website Kevin!
Don't wait for the perfect moment...Take a moment and make it perfect!!!
Gary Plants
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of Gary Plants
First edition Erdnase....but paid more for one of the original Dai Vernon $20 Manuscripts #12 of 12 copies.
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1751 Posts

Profile of Patrick Redford
Quote:
On 2011-12-24 16:59, motown wrote:
I'm not a collector, the books I buy are for the value of the contents.

Several years ago I bought a copy of Neo-Magic. I think I paid around$85 for it.
The was way before the reprint came out or any talk of it.

I been fortunate to find many excellent out of print and hard to find books for a bargin, by being patient.
I've spent countless hours going through the many used book stores in the Detroit area and Ann Arbor, when I lived there.
I found a copy of Kaufman's Greater Magic for around $50.

Those bargains got harder to find as a result of the Internet and Abe Books.

Now I tend to look for bargains on Ebay.

The book stores here are still a great place to pick up used magic books at a good price. Also the Wunderground Magic Shop always has some great bargains floating around on used books at fair prices. They're in Clawson just 15 minutes outside of Detroit Proper. Worth stopping in to look to see what they have - they rarely list their stuff on the net.
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
Magic of Robert Harbin for more than I paid for my first car.

As for why, I wanted to get the real work on his chair suspension, the Zig Zag Lady and a whole host of other things.
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
I think most of the books in our collection were
gifts to my mom and dad.

Especially the one from Dr. Albo.

With the exception of the Tarbell Course
that my mom said my father had to have even
though he didn't need it. And purchased it from
Uncle Jay. Of course, we didn't know he was
in Vol. 6 until about 5 years ago.

Although, I personally bought Beating a
Dead Horse Book for $45. That's probably the
most...

Otherwise, all my college text books were expensive,
if we are county anything outside the magic realm.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1429 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
I paid about $200 for my copy of Magicomedy.
NaathanPhan
View Profile
New user
One day, I shall have more than
18 Posts

Profile of NaathanPhan
Gosh, I can't wait til I can brag about something like this. I'm a relatively new professional and I'm still sinking money into equipment! Right now, I think the most expensive book purchase I've made is Tom Stone's Vortex for $50. As for most cash dropped on a book set, I picked up (or I should say, my folks picked up for me) the Tarbell Course in Magic for about $175 from Best Magic in Anaheim in the mid to late 90's. When I can afford it, I suppose I'd love to be able to pick up an autographed Houdini book. Any of those floating around?
Cheers,

Naathan Phan: Magic Asian Man

www.magicasianman.com
MVFAN
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of MVFAN
"When I can afford it, I suppose I'd love to be able to pick up an autographed Houdini book. Any of those floating around?"

There's one floating now on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1908-Harry-Houdi......bfae1579

Pete
Clay Shevlin
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of Clay Shevlin
Quote:
NaathanPhan wrote: ... When I can afford it ...

That's the key. The good news is that, with respect to long-gone magicians, Houdini's signature is by far the most common and readily obtainable, and if you'd be satisfied with his signature on correspondence (versus in books), over the next few years there may be a relative flood of documents bearing his signature.
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
Buy Houdini while you can. Whatever may or may not comes to the market, will eventually be absorbed.

With Houdini plays, books and movies in production, there is reason to buy the most desirable autograph in magic in 20th century. Houdini interest is steady, while the others come and go.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
Lately, $125 for the Kaufman edition of Greater Magic last October. Historically, many books over a hundred dollars when I was in graduate school.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
$350.00 for The Magic of Robert Houdin. L&L paid the postage.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2012-02-22 16:11, Kevin Connolly wrote:
Buy Houdini while you can. Whatever may or may not comes to the market, will eventually be absorbed.

With Houdini plays, books and movies in production, there is reason to buy the most desirable autograph in magic in 20th century. Houdini interest is steady, while the others come and go.

However, as magicians and collectors die, their treasures reappear on the market. It's a big cycle. That's one reason the magic auctions are a good source for interesting items.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
Someone just scored an 8 volume Tarbell set on Ebay for $119.00
I bought "Magic 1400-1950" by Steinmeyer for $135.00 on Amazon last month.
If I had $4000, I would buy the Albo set.
cbusch55
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of cbusch55
Three that are the most expensive I have ever bought. The Magic of Robert Harbin, The Unmasking of Robert Houdini autographed by Houdini, and Dictionaire Encyclopediques by Jacques Lacombe. Guess which one was the most expensive. And these three were the most desirable to me from a collector's point of view. Now, if I could just get an Albo set.
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of Leo H
The original 1931 edition of Hofzinser's Card Conjuring from a Potter & Potter auction last year. It was something like $275.00. Auctions will kill you with that 20% buyer's premium.
the fritz
View Profile
Special user
647 Posts

Profile of the fritz
For a single book, the most I've shelled out is $200 for a copy of Card Craft by J.K. Hartman.

For a set, I recently purchased Best of Friends 1&2 for $360. I would not have paid this much under normal circumstances, however these were part of Doug Henning's collection, given to Jim Steinmeyer to sell by Doug's widow, who in turn gave them to Andy Greget. That's where I bought them. They are my favorite part of my book collection due to the fact that they are signed by Harry Lorayne to Doug. Worth every penny to me.
Mr Timothy Gray
View Profile
Veteran user
Rue d'Auseil
364 Posts

Profile of Mr Timothy Gray
$220 for the 8th edition of 'Greater Magic'.

$250 for a signed copy of John Mulholland's 'Beware Familiar Spirits'.
Yr. Obdt. Svt.,
Mr Timothy Gray

Specializing in the Occult Arts of Fortune Telling, Magic & Mediumship; Est. 1986
Robb
View Profile
Inner circle
1291 Posts

Profile of Robb
I think I paid $150 for The Secret Ways Of Al Baker. It's a beautiful book, worth every penny. Not a ton of effects from it that I use (not any, actually) but it got me into mentalism and especially billet work. I should re-read it now, probably see it with a whole new set of eyes.
Brad Jeffers
View Profile
Veteran user
376 Posts

Profile of Brad Jeffers
I purchased the 5 volume set of Cervon's Castle Notebooks for $900. I bought them one volume at a time as they were released by L&L. By taking advantage of their 10% off when purchasing 3 items, I was able to get each volume for $180.

I had long been interested in these legendary notebooks and felt sure that they would increase in value over time, which for me, justified the cost.

I read them over a few months and then sold them for $1250.

I was lucky to sell them at that price. A complete set recently sold at auction for $1600, but that is generally not the case.