The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Smooth as silk :: Silk To Egg Versions (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Nov 7, 2016, AndreOng1 wrote:
I enjoy Lance Burton's version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAzDrC_OHjU
Mark wilson's version suggested by joseph it also very entertaining as well.

Lance Burton has not released his version to the Magic Community and has not given anyone permission to use it.
AndreOng1
View Profile
Regular user
SIngapore
110 Posts

Profile of AndreOng1
Lance Burton's performance is amazing. Hope he release his version one day.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
This is the old standard routine for silk to egg found in many magic books. Lance Burton does a marvelous job of it.

Dovelite ceramic eggs are sold around the world and are used by the pros all over the world. Our eggs will hold a 24" square silk. They are available in white or brown eggs. There is also a Walk-Around Version that resets for walk-around table magic.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Lance Burton performs a purely sleight of hand version using only a real egg and a silk only, no fakes. You can find the television appearance posted on YouTube. It was some kind of day show, but have been a local small talk show.

Experienced magicians can see and figure out what he is doing.
mir11
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of mir11
Is there a Tenyo version of this trick?
Magical Moments
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of Magical Moments
Quote:
On Apr 7, 2021, mir11 wrote:
Is there a Tenyo version of this trick?

There is but the common complaint with it is that the egg is too small. I have always found it to be just fine.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Another advantage of the DoveLite ceramic egg is that it will also hold 6 of the super soft 2" sponge balls. This can be handy for repeat routines.

These are never available in dealer shops.

I look forward to getting back out on the road and doing silk and egg lectures. Covid-19 has been a major interruption to the world of magic. (I've gotten my shots. Have you?)
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Shows are opening back up. We are getting orders for our Silk to Egg and Walk-Around Silk to Egg props again here in the USA.

There is no easier way to vanish a silk in the 20th Century Silk routine.
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Merodach
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
95 Posts

Profile of Merodach
Quote:
On Nov 26, 2016, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Lance Burton performs a purely sleight of hand version using only a real egg and a silk only, no fakes. You can find the television appearance posted on YouTube. It was some kind of day show, but have been a local small talk show.

Experienced magicians can see and figure out what he is doing.

Here is one performance of Lance Burton and the routine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAzDrC_OHjU
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7669 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Karrell Fox wrote up the no gimmicked egg silk to egg in one of his books.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Merodach
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
95 Posts

Profile of Merodach
Quote:
On Jun 19, 2021, hugmagic wrote:
Karrell Fox wrote up the no gimmicked egg silk to egg in one of his books.

Good point, I think it is in For My Next Trick.
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
756 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
There is also the Zimmer Egg Gimmick. Not so widely known, but an option, for a no switch egg.
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1047 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Back in the 80s there was a fun version from Supreme magic. It was a silk transposition where after you offer to show how it is done, you put the silk back into the egg. But instead of it turning into a real egg the silk changes into a different color one in the egg. The original colored silk is produced from a pocket. It is fun additional segway if you have another routine using two silks.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The Tarbell Course has something like 5 different handlings for Silk To Egg classic effect.

I had a friend that learned all versions in the course, and he performed all versions for me when I visited. Really different handlings for each one.

I like the original version by Sterling. Always gets good reactions.
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1358 Posts

Profile of danfreed
I'm learning a version taught by Dan Harlan on a Tarbell silk to eggs video (#19), I really like the thinking behind it. At one point he shows the "fake" egg with the silk showing in the hole, then lights the silk on fire (it's flashpaper). There's more to it but I don't want to give away the routine, but it has a cool extra convincer.
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Hermetic Press's terrific EggCyclopedia has it all.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Dan Harlan is a very creative entertainer. I hope we get him back to Magic Valley Magic someday.
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
760 Posts

Profile of Fedora
Is anyone aware of a no switch egg other than the one from vernet?

I like the concept, but the egg is a little, ah, pointy.

There is another one of that type, from kingmagic, but somehow they made it
even pointier, I believe it's supposed to be performed for Inebriated folks.

Is there another maker of this type of egg that's egg shaped?
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
It was interesting to see our used Dovelite ceramic eggs selling for $75 at the Winter Carnival of Magic this year in Pigeon Forge. The demand is certainly still there. We no longer make them available through dealers because there were some dealers who routinely swapped out our good DoveLite silks for inferior silks. We could simply not risk our reputation on them anymore. The sets are still available new from us directly and are used by the professionals worldwide. A set contains a gimmicked ceramic egg and two 18" Dovelite Silks. The Sucker silk set is $30 new.

We also have the Walk-Around version with an extra ungimmicked egg to actually hand to the volunteer. Instructions for the Walk-Around routine that resets are also included. These sets are $35 new.

Egg sets are available in both white and brown eggs.

I was surprised to see that dealers had to sell used sets but were actually getting $75 for them. But since these are not available new to dealers anymore they have to sell used ones. New ones are available to you.

amazedwiz@yahoo.com
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Micha-el
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of Micha-el
With regard to the method Chris Zampese explained earlier in this thread, for making an egg for the trick, I would point out that in the March 1978 issue of Genii Topper Martyn wrote a short article on Fred Culpit's method of making a fake egg. It will work for any color egg of any size. It is the same method that Chris explained. I too made one of these shortly after reading the article. My only addition to the process was that to cut the hole, I placed the egg on a shot glass filled with vinegar and left it overnight; then trimmed the hole, formed by the vinegar, with some nail scissors. Anyway, it lasted for a long time before I replaced it with the Viking Egg.

In the February 1981 issue of Genii, Charlie Miller has a presentation for the trick called Kling Klang Updated. The nice aspect of this routine is that it preserves the original idea of a transposition of the silk and egg. In this case the egg is placed in the pocket and the silk in the hand and they switch places. What is nice about this approach is that the real egg is never in your pocket until you place it there in the first phase of the trick. This allows you to do the trick at any time in your program without having to worry about a real egg in your pocket.
Regards,
Barry Moran