The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Smooth as silk :: Silk To Egg Versions (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I inherited a great presentation for a vaudeville magician, and use an egg made of resin. I use a shuttle pass to change the eggs...timing. Keep it simple, the audience has no thought or knowledge of duplicates.

In addition, I have (got on ebay) Don Alan's version, made by Howard Bammann, where you reverse the trick pouring the egg white/yolk gooey stuff back into your hand, produce an egg and pull the silk back out. When I first saw Don do this it blew me away.

Remember, it is the routine and presentation. Keep the METHOD SIMPLE.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Wow thanks much Pete,

I have always been a big Don Alan fan. I have never seen that - guess he never did it on any of the available televised appearances. That is one I wish I could have seen.
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
There is a less known version called "Super Silk to Egg." It is very decent and the creator is a very nice guy.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
jeanboucher
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of jeanboucher
Pete, can you elaborate a little bit on the Howard Bammann without revealing too much?
Magicien pour fête d'enfants

In my more than 25 years of doing magic, I have re-discovered that the most magical audiences are children. They make the best audiences because they don't hide their surprise, or joy, or happiness: all of which, my Magic show will bring to life.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Here is your source for Silk to Egg eggs. They manufacture them. They also have non-hole eggs.

http://www.tirofoginc.com/EGGSACTLYEGGS.htm

These are ceramic type eggs, and come in 3 sizes. They are like the Viking egg, maybe a little thinner wall.

Many years ago Sterling Magic Co. which is out of business now made a resin egg. I used it for about 20 years until one day while packing up after a show I dropped it on the concrete floor. It cracked. I could have glued it but I would not be happy with that so I just made my own when the Mork & Mindy plastic egg with candy was on the market. I painted it and it worked perfectly. Now that Easter is here again there are many sources for eggs.

The original resin egg was actually coated over a real egg. The yoke stain was still inside. It was a yellow resin. Then I guess it was painted or baked on white coating.

What is the difference to the "Super Silk to Egg" compared to say the Viking or Rice Silk to Egg? Is the egg ceramic or is the routine the Super? What make it Super?
Magic from A to Z
View Profile
Elite user
Sweet Home Alabama
481 Posts

Profile of Magic from A to Z
I’ve been interested and have been creatively thinking about approaching this routine in a simplistic, straightforward manner and thought I would share it with others to see what input you may have.

Rather than using a switch in the second part, why not bring out from the side coat pocket, in the left hand, in a concealed manner to the audience, a flexible thumbtip and the real egg. The audience already assumes that to begin with that you already have something concealed in your hand because of the first part of the routine demonstrating the putting of the silk into the fake egg.

If necessary, take a smaller silk, i.e., 9” and push it into the thumbtip (pretending to push it into the “fake” egg).

You’re completely clean and can dump the thumbtip. If you wish, you can bring out a wand and tap the egg. You can then roll the real egg around in your left hand explaining to the audience that you want to make sure that they don’t reveal the opening in the egg with the red silk showing through the hole in the egg; otherwise, this is a dead give away as to where the silk located. Proceed to peel the sticker off and break the egg.

Tell me what you think (pros/cons). Any input would be greatly appreciated. Does this have merit/ potential?
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Man is it time to update this thread!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
Quote:
On 2004-03-28 02:32, wmhegbli wrote:
Here is your source for Silk to Egg eggs. They manufacture them. They also have non-hole eggs.

http://www.tirofoginc.com/EGGSACTLYEGGS.htm

These are ceramic type eggs, and come in 3 sizes. They are like the Viking egg, maybe a little thinner wall.

Many years ago Sterling Magic Co. which is out of business now made a resin egg. I used it for about 20 years until one day while packing up after a show I dropped it on the concrete floor. It cracked. I could have glued it but I would not be happy with that so I just made my own when the Mork & Mindy plastic egg with candy was on the market. I painted it and it worked perfectly. Now that Easter is here again there are many sources for eggs.

The original resin egg was actually coated over a real egg. The yoke stain was still inside. It was a yellow resin. Then I guess it was painted or baked on white coating.

What is the difference to the "Super Silk to Egg" compared to say the Viking or Rice Silk to Egg? Is the egg ceramic or is the routine the Super? What make it Super?

The Tirofog eggs are not ceramic but actually made from real eggs.They feel exactly like a real egg yet are as tough as nails. I squeezed mine as hard as I could and it did not break,although I don't recommened doing that.

Question for Chris Z

How do you get the plaster to adhere to the membrane that lines the inside of the egg?
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Why would you want the plaster to adhere to the inside of the egg? You don't want a solid egg when you finish.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Silk to emu egg anyone?
See more emus at
http://www.dachshunds.biz the Magic ian family farm.
---------
You know, why not just blow out some real eggs and chip a hole out of the side of one, for the silk. Then, you wouldn't have a problem, have the expense, and certainly wouldn't have to worry about matching or realism after the switch?
Plus, I could see some real comedy effects, like crushing the egg and sprinkling eggshells over the real egg (magic pixie dust).
Ain't nothing like the real thing, baby!

Click here to view attached image.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
I'm still highly impressed with Bob Sanders version of silk to egg, but I noticed that Mark Wilson recently released his silk to egg routine and props through Hocus Pocus, though I have no clue of what the props are like.

I bought Bob's at TAOM and have love both the feel and handling of these eggs. I still do my own routine, which isn't too unlike Mark Wilson's but different enough.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
Hi Bob,
If I understood the original post the objective was to reinforce the interior of the empty egg shell with a layer of plaster. If the plaster doesn't adhere to the interior of the shell which is lined by the membrane ( and it won't) you end up with loose blobs of plaster inside an egg shell.
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2008-12-19 01:31, manal wrote:
Hi Bob,
If I understood the original post the objective was to reinforce the interior of the empty egg shell with a layer of plaster. If the plaster doesn't adhere to the interior of the shell which is lined by the membrane ( and it won't) you end up with loose blobs of plaster inside an egg shell.

For reinforcement, try polyurathane. It is essentially just a strong plastic surface. It is used on some "blown" eggs. I don't use it for anything but painted surfaces for protection. It is tough! (Plaster is not very tough and cracks easily.)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
raywitko
View Profile
Special user
western Pa
527 Posts

Profile of raywitko
Bob Sanders has a good version of this. He also has a walk around version. You would be wise to contact him.
Ray
Sometimes it seems there are more than one of me.

Tabman USA
magicdmv
email me at [email]fursclass@magicdmv.com[/email]
profgizmo
View Profile
New user
Florida
54 Posts

Profile of profgizmo
Does anyone do a version of silk to egg without a pocket? I really like the routine, but usually perform without a jacket, just shirt with rolled up sleeves. I was thinking of using a small box of some kind on my stand; the silk initially vanishes to the box, use it like a pocket. It could also hold the glass to break the egg into; the box would hold all the props. What do you think?
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1645 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
Profgizmo,
I've seen people do that before. Duane Laflin has a nice version like that in a set of his lecture notes.
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Someone, whom I strongly suspect lurks on these forums from time to time, sent me a surprise package for Christmas of a Mark Wilson Silk to Egg. The props are very good. The egg is a strong resin material, looks and feels good, handles easisly, two red silks, A nice plastic wine glass for breaking the egg into at the end of the trick. A signed and numbered certificate of authenticity, and a DVD of Mark's routine. Excellent props and material, and Mark's routine is a classic one which he has performed many times over the years. I know hocus pocus carries them, and probably Mark and Nani have them as well, even if they aren't up on the website yet.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
micwize
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of micwize
I thought it would be worth mentioning propdog sell a really good version of the egg. I would recommend it.
LoganPorterMagic
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of LoganPorterMagic
I am trying to find one I saw in a Japanese convention. It's made of soft shell. Can anyone offer some info?
AndreOng1
View Profile
Regular user
SIngapore
110 Posts

Profile of AndreOng1
I enjoy Lance Burton's version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAzDrC_OHjU
Mark wilson's version suggested by joseph it also very entertaining as well.