The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Ballooning 101 :: Hobson balloon bag (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
shooz
View Profile
Loyal user
Mercer, PA
269 Posts

Profile of shooz
Help.
Where can I find the instructions for making the "small" balloon dog for the above routine. I've been searching but can only find the "regular" balloon dog, not the small dog for the Hobson routine.

Thanks in advance,
Shooz
With you in thought(s)

Scott Shoemaker... Shooz
Wes Holly
View Profile
Special user
Cincinnati, OH, USA
644 Posts

Profile of Wes Holly
Inflate the balloon half as much and you'll end up with a dog half as long. When doing a smaller dog it is necessary to twist each individual bubble instead of using the faster fold-twist technique. You could also switch to the skinnier balloon, known as a 160. If you are using a lunch size brown bag, I would suggest using the 160 balloons.
Happily Yours,
Wes Holly
www.wesholly.com
Cincinnati, OH, USA
wa-na-be
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of wa-na-be
You can also get Hobson's DVD and it has the whole routine and instructions. You can normally find it for sale in the DVD sales section.

Best
keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1167 Posts

Profile of keeblem
This is a funny routine. I've been thinking about making it up myself. I believe it's on two of Hobson's DVDs

Mark
wa-na-be
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of wa-na-be
Yes it is, but on his newest one I think he goes more into detail about the makeup of the bag.

Chris
funnyclown
View Profile
Elite user
Burlingame, CA
496 Posts

Profile of funnyclown
Jeff Hobson Exposed has the balloon dog bag routine. You can buy it straight from Jeff at

http://www.HobsonsChoiceMagic.com/

It's only $29.95 and comes with other great routines.
Mike Ianneo
Funnybone Magic

"Defender of the Defenseless One Balloon Dog"

https://www.funnybonemagic.com
shooz
View Profile
Loyal user
Mercer, PA
269 Posts

Profile of shooz
Thanks everyone,
But Hobson does not go into the making of his style of dog on his DVD. He said something about finding
out how to make the dog on your own. And since I'm not a balloon person, and his dog seems different from the standard balloon dog I've seen made, I am coming to those who know this entertainment inside and out.
I appreciate any help with this "smaller" version.
Thanks again in advance,
Shooz
With you in thought(s)

Scott Shoemaker... Shooz
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
I have the DVD and he does show how to make the dog later on the DVD. Watch the whole DVD.
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
RazeMagic
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of RazeMagic
I love this routine. I am rather new with magic (a few years) and I put together Jeff's routine for an opening act at my local IBM Ring. I put a little twist on the end. Hope you enjoy it.

http://www.youtube.com/ibmring280/#p/u/3/QWMXAPOjDxQ

Exposed has all the details for making the balloon bag. I believe he skips over the part of actually twisting the balloon. It's a smaller dog with circles/balls - each one the same size. The key is not putting too much air in the balloon. I actually put too much in the one if the video. I'm using 260s but 160s would work better. I believe his Live DVD talks more about how to make the balloon. It isn't difficult though. If you can make a dog, just make it smaller.

Brian
jonathandupree
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of jonathandupree
Great job Brian. I loved when your son stepped on the balloon and said play dead. Funny man.
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
Quote:
On 2011-02-25 15:28, manal wrote:
I have the DVD and he does show how to make the dog later on the DVD. Watch the whole DVD.

Sorry. I forgot he has more than 1 DVD out.
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
Michael238
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of Michael238
This is a great trick. I use it quite a bit
jeffhobson
View Profile
V.I.P.
246 Posts

Profile of jeffhobson
Hi guys. . . . . I guess I shoulda put a little more detail about twisting the actual dog. My preference is to make the dog a big as it will allow it to go into the bottom of a standard, paper lunch sack (lying down on it's side). I use a standard 260 and only twist balls - no fold-overs (if that's what it's called in the balloon biz). I give more than one twist to the head and both sets of legs since I want to make sure that it doesn't untwist while busting the bag. I inflate the balloon approx. 6-7 inches. This seems to get the maximum size I need without being too big and bulging out the sides of the bag. Experience will teach you best. . . . . use a lot of balloons to practice. They're still cheap. When they start costing the same as gasoline. . . . cut back.

I hope this help!!!

Jeff
BTW - I don't endorse the Jeff Hobson LIVE teaching DVD. The EXPOSED is a much more updated, and experienced version albeit without the live show part. However, that's an old show from the 90's. I have my new "LIVE" performance DVD on my regular website, http://www.JeffHobson.com This site is for laymen and so is the DVD (it's a recent 45 minute performance)- I really don't want to advertise it to magicians BUT since the subject came up . . . . . there ya go!
The Hilarious Host of Las Vegas!
VISIT my magic shop: www.HobsonsChoiceMagic.com
Damian
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of Damian
Ha! Brian, you should work out a way to get your assistant to "kill" the dog every time. What a great moment.
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
I do a variation of this routine - quite a bit different actually, but it uses the restoration method Mr. Hobson teaches on his Exposed DVD, which I own.

I use a 260 and generally inflate to about 7-8". Instructions for the basic doggy balloon can be found in a number of places. I'd suggest grabbing a introductory book on balloon twisting at your local bookstore - or one of the TMyers pamphlets.

One tip I can give, is to make sure you roll-thru the head and tail - this will help ensure that the child doesn't unravel the dog mid-show.

And as mentioned by someone else earlier - I make the dog as big as I can, within reason - looks more impressive when produced from the bag.
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
revmike
View Profile
Special user
Annville, PA
646 Posts

Profile of revmike
Just had Jeff at my church last week as part of our Magic Club lecture and this is indeed one of the effects he taught.

One of our members regularly does this and I will practice with it and eventually incorporate it as well. Wonderful effect.
The magic is not in our sleights and illusions, but instead in our ability to bring love and joy.
The Great Stevini
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of The Great Stevini
I'm working on this routine for an upcoming show. I've swapped out many of the by-play for my own, but I'd like to incorporate the splitting of the second balloon in half. I tried this and did manage to split the balloon, but let's just say I would need to make sure my elbows weren't aimed at the kid helper. Is there a technique to use or is it just finger/arm strength?

Thanks.
The Great Stevini
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of The Great Stevini
Nevermind. After a bit more practice, it's actually quite easy.
magic.99
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of magic.99
This is an awesome routine - I use this all the time and with the proper 'selling', this absolutely kills!
Buy anything Hobson and you will not regret it!!
Carrie Sue
View Profile
Veteran user
Auburn, MI
332 Posts

Profile of Carrie Sue
Hobson's Balloon Bag routine and his Egg Bag routine are both staples of my programs now.

My audiences love both routines!

Carrie
www.proximityillusions.com

ASLAN IS ON THE MOVE!