The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Trick coin trickery :: Chris Power routine (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
The main difference, it seems to me, is that in the Powers routine, once the coins are enclosed in the silk, they are never manually removed, but penetrate one at a time. (And by the way, is it Power or Powers?)
Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
886 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
It's Power.
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Thanks, Doug.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4196 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Dec 11, 2018, Poof-Daddy wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 10, 2018, dj wrote:
Coins Trough Silk by Chris Power.

Video 1:
https://youtu.be/dAslgrHuY-U

Video 2:
https://youtu.be/DxaqMgTanR0

Other than his own presentation, which is a thing of beauty, are the methods any different that Michael Ammar's "Coin Thru Silk"?

Yes Chris has a different method which can be found on an old VHS tape which I think was called Laid Back Too
Philippe
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of Philippe
How to get in touch with Chris and JJ?
Philip Phillips is asking.
FlightRisk
View Profile
Loyal user
North Carolina
294 Posts

Profile of FlightRisk
I am still trying to find the lecture notes or any other information on this effect. Anyone have any luck? If you watch the first video, he flashes pretty significantly, so you can work out how it is done, though the handling is pretty amazing. I would love to pay him for the lecture notes.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2897 Posts

Profile of Tom G
It is on a DVD he put out, Laid Back Too: Rough Cut.
FlightRisk
View Profile
Loyal user
North Carolina
294 Posts

Profile of FlightRisk
Doesn't seem to be available anywhere, though there is a site called "revizzit" that keeps coming up. The links are either broken or it says "not authorized to view this page". Not sure if you have to make an account or what.
Aaron Isaacs
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of Aaron Isaacs
Revizzit is unfortunately in the process of shutting down.
Degio
View Profile
Regular user
It took me years to get to
152 Posts

Profile of Degio
Quote:
On Dec 11, 2018, Poof-Daddy wrote:
Other than his own presentation, which is a thing of beauty, are the methods any different that Michael Ammar's "Coin Thru Silk"?

I have a feeling Power's routine uses an extra coin, while Ammar's doesn't, so the way coins are extracted is quite different because Power is constantly one ahead.
I have to say, Power's version is super smooth...
Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
886 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
Yes, Power's routine does use a fourth coin.
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1431 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
I like the name Power. I am jealous.
AS for a chiffon, does it not seem kinda girly?
Can you think of another type of material that is real manly that is like a see through silk?
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3531 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Quote:
On Apr 19, 2019, countrymaven wrote:
I like the name Power. I am jealous.
AS for a chiffon, does it not seem kinda girly?
Can you think of another type of material that is real manly that is like a see through silk?

Nylon stocking... just think of the story you can tell about the adventure you had and the woman you were able to get it from... Smile
FlightRisk
View Profile
Loyal user
North Carolina
294 Posts

Profile of FlightRisk
Tulle, Voile, Organza? Harem cloth for halloween? There are many versions of semi-transparent fabric. Just go to your local fabric store. I have experimented with much of it because I have a huge halloween display and use lots of different types of fabric for different effects. I project onto a semi-transparent screen made from a nylon fabric. The screen is invisible at night and you can see the background through it and projected ghosts appear to be floating in my graveyard. You can buy this in gray or other colors. But any semi-transparent, not stretch fabric will do. You can use lace if you want and make up a story bout it being from your grandmother or how about a magical/haunted victorian "mourning hanky" (perfect for a seance theme). But if you are performing at a wedding or bachelorette party, veil material fits the theme perfectly.

I like Wravyn's idea about stockings. You can make a joke about a run in the stocking, "do you see it?". And the coins pass through. Only trouble with the stockings it modern stocking are too stretchy. If you use a classic steam formed nylon, it is the actual size of a woman's leg and doesn't stretch. So it's too big unless you cut it.

Bottom line is, that no one is going to question you or think a magical item is "girly". It just doesn't come up. And if you buy raw fabric, you are going to probably want to sew a finished edge. Easier to just buy a "24" square sheer chiffon scarf" in the color of your choice. They are already made and cheap. You can google it.
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1431 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
FlightRisk: now I see why they call you a flight risk. Just kidding. But my problem is this: I can't limit my use of girly looking things like a see through scarf or panty hose, for Halloweenie only. Nope.
So I just tried performing it with a black piece of panty hose. Like Wrayvin said. The problem is from the reactions, they thought I had had (yes) too much fun with a girl last night. They looked like they suspected me of having torn it off a girl who got away from me. No joke. They just don't know I am not that kind of guy, in public. hehe
So I just used a line I often use. It turned it temporarily into dark magic. I said I can explain it, I was a failed serial killer. hehe. Just before someone called 911 I said, ok. Let me explain. Every morning I really just kill some cereals. I kill some granola or captain cruch or frosted wheaties. They liked it and laughed loud while I was doing the effect. But they still seemed like they were looking for the nearest exit, just in case. So I will have to try a different twist on patter. A safer mix of words.But this definitely got rid of the girlie type suspicions due to the prop. Any ideas?
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3531 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
I wonder if you were to cut a clear garbage bag to size that you need. It’s not girlie and would be see through. May take some extra work to get the feel of the plastic while doing the routine.
FlightRisk
View Profile
Loyal user
North Carolina
294 Posts

Profile of FlightRisk
There has been a lot of discussion lately about developing your "character", which can just be you. But the trick is finding who you are. Search for Pop Haydn's recent posts or I will try to find the thread for you when I am on my laptop.

Are you funny? Is this "real" magic, done theatrically? Are you a bumbling magician (the magician in trouble)? A teacher? A storyteller? That will lead you to the style of your performance and narrow down your choices.

I love Wravyn's ideas. Plastic wrap could work and come off a sandwich that you pull out of your pocket. Then while they applaud, take a bite of the sandwich. Or take a bite in the middle of the trick and say, "that's not part of the trick, Im just hungry". Or use cellophane which is noisy and make that part of the effect.

And I laughed at the joke about my long post. I have been known to be a bit verbose. Smile
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Ah, "finding yourself"--isn't that the great quest of life?
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1431 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
I am trying to find myself. I said I was a serial killer as a joke, then most of them believed it. So I know I have problems with that line. Yes finding yourself is the great quest. How can you find yourself if we never look for ourselves? Our eyes only look elsewhere.

Ok this idea? from flightrisk: I love Wravyn's ideas. Plastic wrap could work and come off a sandwich that you pull out of your pocket. Then while they applaud, take a bite of the sandwich. Or take a bite in the middle of the trick and say, "that's not part of the trick, Im just hungry". Or use cellophane which is noisy and make that part of the effect.

I tried it. I couldn't get the sandwich out of my pocket. When I did, it looked like a flat quesadilla.

But I think there is something in that "chiffon" idea. If someone is coming out of the closet, to highlight their feminine side, that "chiffon" would fit in just right. It might work too well. .... I'm not that type of guy, so I have to find another character. There really is something to the serial killer character. It makes everyone interested in your magic, even if only until the joke is over.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3531 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Perhaps your delivery with the serial killer joke was off? Take a look at at how weepinwil brings up a serial killer...
https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......672713#0
Now, guess what was left in the seat of your car... this nylon...

As for the chiffon scarf... get 3 different colors and you can do scarf juggling then use one for the coins through.
If you are just wanting to only have one, this type of scarf is also used in belly dancing so perhaps it was a gift from a belly dancer? Belly dancers also have coins on their belts that jingle and jangle and make noise, so the coins could also be from the dancer.