The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: All tied up! :: Does anyone know about David DeVal's (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Swansea UK
955 Posts

Profile of Riley
David DeVal made the "Greased Lightning" cuffs for escapes where the cuffs were not the main feature, such as his cage box escape.

Some years back, I made a limited number of cuffs which I named "GL2". They used the same principle, but the release mechanism was hidden in plain sight.

They were too expensive and time consuming to produce in quantity.

What Moxahalla said above is good advice.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On Oct 26, 2020, Riley wrote:
David DeVal made the "Greased Lightning" cuffs for escapes where the cuffs were not the main feature, such as his cage box escape.

Some years back, I made a limited number of cuffs which I named "GL2". They used the same principle, but the release mechanism was hidden in plain sight.

They were too expensive and time consuming to produce in quantity.

What Moxahalla said above is good advice.

I have a pair of your GL2 Riley and they are AMAZING! Yes, sure you can't escape in full view or have them put on without cover. But they are so much better than the GL variant I have had described.

Your variant could be used as the start point for a long chain or rope escape as there would be enough cover from the multiple passes of rope and or chain.

Given a choice, I would take a pair of ADAs over GLs.
harry knight
View Profile
Loyal user
207 Posts

Profile of harry knight
Missed out on the GL2 cuff.
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Swansea UK
955 Posts

Profile of Riley
Quote:
On Oct 27, 2020, dave_matkin wrote:

I have a pair of your GL2 Riley and they are AMAZING! Yes, sure you can't escape in full view or have them put on without cover. But they are so much better than the GL variant I have had described.

Dave, any GL type cuffs can be used to escape in full view or put on "without cover".

I'd always hoped that David would write-up his methods of handling gaffed cuffs, or better still have it filmed (i mentioned it to him a few times) but it was not to be.

I recall the first time he showed me the GL cuffs. He handled them freely, asked me to pull on them etc, and I was sure in my mind (?) that I'd seen both sides of each shackle (!)
There was no release button to be seen ( not that I was looking for such a thing). The escape happened right under my nose and was totally unexpected.

The longer chain with the ring in the centre was for the long rope around the body escape, and the rope was tied to the ring. David showed this escape on his video but didn't demonstrate it with his GL cuffs, but used his master handcuffs instead.

I understand the people who grumble that David's GL cuffs looked like nothing on earth (he agreed). But those people have missed the point entirely!
The cuffs are only a small part of the effect. The PERFORMER and how he uses the cuffs are what it's all about.

David was very generous in sharing methods with me, but admitted he liked to keep some things to himself. He used to say "gaffed cuffs are tools not toys" lol.

Riley
allantaylor
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire, England
125 Posts

Profile of allantaylor
The GL cuffs can be purchased via de-val-magic.co.uk, we sell the standard cuff that David used but we also have a premium TCH cuff that is available in a chain or hinged version. These are far superior and a much more solid cuff. I also have some leg irons using the same method.
Buy the new updated Cell Escape-The Real Secret http://de-val-magic.co.uk/store/
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Riley the reason I mentioned "with cover" was not that I meant you couldn't use them out in the open. I am 100% sure that I feel guilty due to a certain thing moving when the bow is pushed through the cuff body. To me, that movement shows up big time. I am careful to "cover" that up as they go one. Simply by placing that side of the cuff towards my body.

I was not meaning that you had to be covered up for the whole escape - just putting the cuffs on (as mentioned due to my own guilty feelings and the small movement). Let's be 100% honest that lasts for a very small amount of time whilst the bows are pushed down. it probably is mostly overlooked and down to performance. I often feel the need to roll faster even when not being chased. But I'm a speed addict.

Not seen any of the new variants - but maybe next year or next Blackpool I'll get to see them.
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Swansea UK
955 Posts

Profile of Riley
Hi Dave

Sorry I misunderstood your post.

I've sent you a PM with some info about the GL cuff which you may find interesting.

Like you, I haven't seen Allan's production of the cuffs, but expect they will be good.

Riley
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On Nov 14, 2020, Riley wrote:
Hi Dave

Sorry I misunderstood your post.

I've sent you a PM with some info about the GL cuff which you may find interesting.

Like you, I haven't seen Allan's production of the cuffs, but expect they will be good.

Riley

Nah it was my poor writing that wasn't clear.

Thanks for hte PM - very helpful. That message was a bit like Christmas has come early!
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Swansea UK
955 Posts

Profile of Riley
Glad you can use it, Dave.

David DeVal also had a great handling of Bridge Jumpers which he asked me not to reveal.

I can only repeat what others have said on this thread ..... Do not use GL cuffs under water...

Riley
GetMental64
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of GetMental64
I have a brandnew never used David De-Val 7th key. I have a feelingI bought it from Riley? Can anyone tell me what it is worth today? Thanks!
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Swansea UK
955 Posts

Profile of Riley
Don't sell it. It's priceless! Smile