The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Magic Newswire by Dodd Vickers :: Antique Magic for Reality Show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
magicnewswire
View Profile
Inner circle
1947 Posts

Profile of magicnewswire
There's a casting call looking for people with antique magic collectibles for an upcoming reality show. Find out more here: http://bit.ly/gpm29U
Dodd Vickers

Host/Producer/Editor

The Magic Newswire

Twitter

iTunes Link
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Murray was on an episode of this show, "Pawn Stars" as an expert regarding a set of Houdini handcuffs.

I enjoy watching the show, but the last thing needed is a flood of non-magic enthusiasts tipped off to collecting magic. It's somewhat of an exclusive group of people who do, but who have developed an appreciation for magic other than just for it's investment value. I think this is important for the preservation of magic history.

If there was discovered a hidden piece of vintage magic, I'd rather it show up on something like "Antiques Roadshow", than on "Pawn Stars", a show that is as much about the antics of the principles as it is about the items featured. Ungimmicked handcuffs are one thing, but exposure of other apparatus is a possibility with this show.

It is unlikely the producers of this reality show thought of magic collectibles without someone tipping their mitt. I guess it's getting harder to make a living as a magician in Vegas??
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3434 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
So...Murray's an authority on Houdiniana?
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Wait a minute. They're RECRUITING people for this show? You mean people don't just walk in off the street with their collectibles? Another reality show ruined for me. Thanks a lot.

Stanyon, I thought the same thing when I heard that. I do love this show, but haven't seen this episode. Not to knock Murray, but I can think of about 6 other names who live in Vegas I would have called before him.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6778 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On 2011-02-07 00:48, pepka wrote:
Wait a minute. They're RECRUITING people for this show? You mean people don't just walk in off the street with their collectibles? Another reality show ruined for me. Thanks a lot.

Stanyon, I thought the same thing when I heard that. I do love this show, but haven't seen this episode. Not to knock Murray, but I can think of about 6 other names who live in Vegas I would have called before him.

Funny that you sarcastically imply in your first sentence that reality shows aren't actually "real", and then in your second sentence seem to believe that they genuinely are.
I doubt Murray was "called" out of the blue to be an expert on the show. He probably has pitched ideas to the producers previously and they are familiar with him, or he may have even been involved with the Houdini cuffs showing up on the show in the first place. Or he may have a very good agent who really keeps his ear to the ground for opportunities such as this. Not being a genuine expert on something has never stood in the way of an opportunity to appear on national television.
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2011-02-07 00:27, Stanyon wrote:
So...Murray's an authority on Houdiniana?

Frankly, I was also surprised they "called in" Murray to authenticate Houdini props. I would think Geno Munari, John Gaughan, or whomever curates for Copperfield would all have been much more bona fide as experts.

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3025 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Sounds like we've got at least one Murray fan in here...little fired up, are we?
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3434 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
As I've always said, if it's made for TV it's not reality.
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2011-02-07 09:48, Andrewzuber wrote:
Sounds like we've got at least one Murray fan in here...little fired up, are we?

If this response was for me, Andy, I'd be interested in knowing why you would imagine I'm "fired up"(?). I actually am a fan of Murray... as a performer. But I would think any one of the preferred experts I suggested will undeniably hves much deeper experience in historic magic collecting - for what that's worth.

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3025 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I was actually referring to Videoman, TW. I just didn't feel like quoting his whole post. I'm actually in agreement with you on this one!
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1650 Posts

Profile of randirain
I'm with Pepka.. I love Pawn Stars and now it's ruined for me as well.

Randi
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Here is a little more to ponder...

The guys who "own" the pawn shop, often use outside "experts" for a variety of things. Sometimes these people simply document the authenticity and/or value of an item, and other times they may be the hands on guys who fix up promising junk for resale.

One guy (forget his name off hand) and his son do restoration/repair work on a variety of things from old gas pumps to you name it. The pawn star guys have taken things to them on more than one occasion. These guys actually have their own show, too. I have only seen it a couple times, so maybe it didn't fly as a stand alone show.

Anyway... on one of their episodes, they repaired a storm damaged street lamp at the home of Lance Burton, who was named for who he is and what he does, but I don't believe he was spotlighted any further (no magic show clips, etc.).

So, for the conspiracy theorists... are you starting to see a pattern develop??
~michael baker
The Magic Company
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I gave up on so-called "reality" shows long long ago. A friend from high school was on the 2nd season of Survivor and spilled the beans about editing, reshoots and such. NOTHING on TV is real. The bottom line is, entertainment. I like Pawn Stars because I like antiques and like hearing the stories about them.
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1650 Posts

Profile of randirain
Steve Daly said that Murray is doing the "traveling pawn stars", which sounds different than the main show.

So maybe it's still real.. or at least sort of real.

Randi
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1450 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
I started wondering about Pawn Stars when I heard that Chumly doesn't even work there. He's just a TV extra inserted to add humour.

That's show biz!

Gerry
Banester
View Profile
Special user
669 Posts

Profile of Banester
Michael, American Restoration was the spin off show with Rick and his son.

Gerry never heard that rumor about Chumlee I find it odd that they would keep him as a full time employee (since he really is there everyday) just for filming, but you never know!
The art of a magician is to create wonder.
If we live with a sense of wonder, our lives
become filled with joy
-Doug Henning-
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2011-02-08 11:21, Banester wrote:
Michael, American Restoration was the spin off show with Rick and his son.

Gerry never heard that rumor about Chumlee I find it odd that they would keep him as a full time employee (since he really is there everyday) just for filming, but you never know!

Yes... American Restoration.

Seems I heard on one episode that Chumlee and Big Hoss have been friends since they were kids. It is apparent in most of the episodes that there are MANY people who work there, manning the counters and dealing with what are probably a continuous stream of customers. It seems unlikely the show principles need to assume any of those counter jobs, but traffic is brisk.

The show segments are slow by comparison. The filming is probably done in an area of the store that is off limits during those times, or reserved for that purpose. Has anyone here ever been to the store?

In case anyone here didn't catch it, Rick, Corey, and Chumlee were on an episode of Millionaire.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
I was there last year… I was disappointed with what I saw. It was pretty much like any other pawn shop, a lot of jewelry and junk… none of the cool items. I was surprised by its size and layout, nothing like I imagined from the TV show.

I do continue to watch the show; I am also hooked on American Pickers and Antique Road Show (PBS & BBC).

Bruce
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3025 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Has anyone ever seen House Hunters on HGTV? People visit three houses looking for one to buy, then they sign the deal. It's a 30 minute show. I read an article about one couple who was on - it took 40 hours of filming to get their episode. Not 40 hours going through houses, talking to producers, etc. 40 hours of actual footage, edited down to 30 minutes. Well, 22 with commercials. So all of that "Oh, I like the kitchen...the counters might need to be replaced" is done over and over and over again.

I was also worked next to where they shoot Days of our Lives. Turns out that's not real either...those houses only have three walls! The entertainment industry is so evil.... I miss working in it.
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1450 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
When my sister was in Vegas a few months back she stopped at the Pawn Shop. When she asked about Chumlee the folks at the store said he didn't work there. They said he was just an extra brought in to liven up the TV show.

I'm basing this entirely on what they told my sister and what she told me,

Gerry