The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Magic Newswire by Dodd Vickers :: The Last Greatest Magician in the World (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
magicnewswire
View Profile
Inner circle
1947 Posts

Profile of magicnewswire
You've read the article and excerpt in Genii Magazine, now you can hear Jim Steinmeyer discuss his new book on Howard Thurston in Episode 204 for the Magic Newswire podcast: http://bit.ly/hL1pET
Dodd Vickers

Host/Producer/Editor

The Magic Newswire

Twitter

iTunes Link
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2870 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
The "publication date" for this book is finally tomorrow, 2-3-2011: I am hoping my local Barnes and Noble will have it ready for me to pick it up- wish I had it today here in snowy Michigan where practically everything is closed here today including most retail stores before noon at least. Fired Up!- looks like a great read. I was impressed (and convicted) by Thurston's willingness to do as many programs as he could for needy children.
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
The Last Greatest Magician in the World?

I would think that André Kole might better fit that bill. Unless you are just talking about people who are living impared.

Ray
wjkrysak
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta
152 Posts

Profile of wjkrysak
Mine arrived from Amazon today (preorder). I am excited to begin the read as I can count on a well researched and entertaining read from Jim. This will be a must have history to add to your library. cheaha bill
Create memories to enjoy the magic of life.
Tread lightly. Give. cheaha bill
leondo
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
759 Posts

Profile of leondo
By what yardstick do you measure greatness? Audiences played to? Consecutive performances? Money made? Length of the run? Check the stats.....
I think Seigfried and Roy rate at the top of list of those limited catagories. Have I missed some?
FWIW....
Ted L
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2870 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Wow- I read almost the entire book already over the last few days- Steinmeyer did a wonderful job- no sugar coating and well documented. Magic comes out looking good- almost like baseball in terms of standing up through all the societal changes that have taken place. I found reading about the very tough early years of Thurston's life to be incredible... I had no idea...
magicnewswire
View Profile
Inner circle
1947 Posts

Profile of magicnewswire
Here's a chat with Jim on Irish News Radio talking about the new Thurston book: http://bit.ly/gQCOBs

Details magazine: http://www.details.com/celebrities-enter...or-book-musical
Dodd Vickers

Host/Producer/Editor

The Magic Newswire

Twitter

iTunes Link
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Quote:
On 2011-02-03 06:16, Magical Dimensions wrote:
The Last Greatest Magician in the World?

I would think that André Kole might better fit that bill. Unless you are just talking about people who are living impared.

Ray

I thought it to be sort of an allusion to how so many magicians think they are the greatest in the world. But, I don't have the book yet. The line at MagiFest was too long and I had a class to go to. Anyone know if someone is selling signed copies?

Thanks.

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Another home run, Dodd! Your interview with Jim was so interesting. Thanks, once again.

Ron
sketchomagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
217 Posts

Profile of sketchomagic
Does anyone have an ACTUAL review of this book on the Café?
wandmgc8
View Profile
Regular user
Tennessee
140 Posts

Profile of wandmgc8
I've found it a good idea to keep up with the schedule of Coast to Coast AM on the radio, as, I have caught Jim Steinmeyer in interviews there at least twice, as well as, other shows/guests discussing magicians.

Michael