The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Books/Pamphlets/Notes :: Illusion Design by Mark Parker :: TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3783 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Even as a small boy playing with my first pack of TV Magic Cards, I can remember seeing adverts selling plans to build your own illusions. Like many youths starting out in magic I too thought about the possibility of Sawing a lady in half! When your nine years old, it seems like all one might need is a set of plans, some lumber and a few nails and Presto!, you're an instant illusionist. Smile

Over the years the magic fraternity has been offered numerous sets of so-called workshop plans, each giving hope to the would be illusionist the opportunity to actually own and perform one of these great boxes of mystery. For a regular guy, this seems like a dream come true. After all, to purchase the real deal means spending thousands of dollars, and only a select few seem to have the means to do so.

Many such blueprints have circulated within the magic community, marketed by such well known sources as Abbotts, Thayer, Jim Steinmeyer and later the prolific designer Paul Osborne with his original Illusion System plans. Some of the aforementioned plans are good...some are not.

In the past however, most plans were not much more then simple sketch's, many amounting to nothing more then hasty drawings or conceptual ideas that may or may not have ever actually been built.

To add even more mud to already very murky water, the actual measurements and dimensions were rarely accurate.
I can only imagine how many poor souls spent hours in their garage sawing, cutting and sanding only to find out most of the parts did not fit together properly. A lot of sweat, cash and hardwork for nothing. Smile

Even with accurate blueprints, I must point out that the average magician may not realize it takes more then decent wood working skills to successfully construct a large scale illusion. It also requires a good understanding of how illusions work in the real world using actual assistants under stage lights and in front of a live audience. Smile

In that light, I would recommend finding a good set of plans and then have a professional illusion builder do the actual constructing. You'll save yourself a world of frustration and maybe even some cash believe it or not. Besides, professionals have access to materials and tools we mere mortals can only dream about, and at prices beyond our reach. In addition, most of us require all ten fingers and both hands to perform our magical wonders. I've come to learn that human skin and electric saws are often a deadly combination. Smile

With that in mind, I would like to give you a sneak peek at the latest offering of illusion plans from someone who may actually know what he's talking about! Enjoy. Smile

-------------------------------------------

Illusion Design by Mark Parker
---------------oOo-----------------

FROM THE FORWARD:
"If you love illusions as much as I do I can guarantee, as you turn over the pages, like me on my first and privileged viewing, you too won't sleep tonight" - Philip Burgess

I could not agree more. There is some great thinking nestled deep within the pages of this fabulous work.

Perfect bound and approximately 81/2 x 14 inches with 122 pages, this book is jammed packed with a variety of killer ideas.

There are seven original illusions that Mr. Parker has generously given us. These include approximately 66 full color drawings (a magic first in illusion plans) to help you visualize and eventually construct these bad boys. Not only that, but Mark also includes full performance rights to purchasers! Very cool indeed. Smile

All the measurements appear to be quite accurate, but Mark does state these are to be taken as a guide only. Probably good advice and just one more reason to consult a pro to do the actual building. In fact, there is at least one illusion in the book that specifically recommends having a professional on hand. Smile

The ideas in this book are absolutely amazing. Two of my favorites are Rubik's Revenge and Inertia. The latter being worth the price of admission alone. Smile

In addition to all the colorful plans, Mark has included many tips, ideas and other pieces of advice that no would be illusionist should be without. If that were not enough, there are also contributions from David Mendoza and Tony Clark to help complete an already great work.

I think this book is very worthy of your attention, and in my opinion sets the standard by which other designers will hopefully take some notes. My only complaint (and it's very small) is that with all this great quality, I really wish Mark would have released this in hardback. Perhaps in the future? Smile

If you're thinking about getting into illusions, this book is a must have item. Recommended. Smile

My rating:

Suggested retail: £65.00/$120.00 (includes shipping if ordered direct from Mark)

To visit Mark Parker's website:
Click here!

You can contact Mark Parker directly at: markparker1@mac.com

You can also purchase from Hank Lee's Magic Factory Click here for more info
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks