The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Table hoppers & party strollers :: How to Successfully Book a Restaurant (38 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
jonathandupree
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of jonathandupree
Depending on the restaurant it can be far more than $75 per hour. Smile but yes you are right - you are only what you believe you are worth.
PhillipHayes
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of PhillipHayes
Thank you for a great help, mostly a stage performer. Because of not knowing how to get other work. Will put into practice at once.
jimvines
View Profile
Regular user
Brooklyn, NY
161 Posts

Profile of jimvines
Great article- thank you, Christopher! Anyone who has not tried booking themselves in restaurants (or who have had limited success doing it their own way) will benefit hugely from this article. Nice work!
Magic & Mentalism
topchange52
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of topchange52
Great advice from someone who's been there and done it, thanks
WalkerMagic
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of WalkerMagic
Great advice! I'm sure this will help me get more restaurant gigs!
astoundyou
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of astoundyou
Great information I feel this is the correct way to get and approach a restaurant. But please remember that your magic should be polished and professional. Please don't take a restaurant if you are not ready. It will hurt the pro that has been doing this for years and anyone else after you. You need to know when to approach a table and when not to. What are you going to say when you walk up to the table?? This comes with experience. Good luck and keep them entertained.
Philip Klipper PM(Professional Magician)
atinczor
View Profile
Regular user
New York / Istanbul
112 Posts

Profile of atinczor
Great article. Thank you for sharing it with the Magic Café community.
houdini
View Profile
Loyal user
N.E. Kansas
203 Posts

Profile of houdini
Christopher, at what point in your pitch do you discuss your fee for doing your walkaround gig? How do you go about presenting your cost to the manager for your entertainment?
Jim. Thats me on the left,Everyone should know the other guy!
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5697 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Usually right after "THE PITCH" the owner/gm will ask "so how much is this going to cost me?" That's the point where my fee is discussed...

Glad to hear that so many are finding my article helpful!

Christopher
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
donrossmagic
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of donrossmagic
Awesome article. I am certainly going to use these principles. I had always wondered what to do when approaching a restaurant. you have certainly given me food for thought.
Keith Raygor
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
968 Posts

Profile of Keith Raygor
Over the years, I've been asked quite a few times for my list of benefits, and have posted it here on the Café a couple times. The first time is here.
That thread also has the approach I used to secure my latest residency, which has me in my 13th year at 5 nights per week.

Personalized entertainment - especially good for special occasions, like anniversaries and birthdays

Unique entertainment

A cover for delays in seating or delays in the kitchen

Entertain guests on busy nights

Increase business on slower nights

A way of attracting return customers that bring new customers with them

A way of attracting publicity

A way of delaying the customers from leaving, generating increased revenue

A way of stimulating conversation between strangers in the lounge

An extension of the restaurant’s hospitality

Thanks for opening this topic back up, Chris. I was looking for the thread you had removed as it had so much wonderful information in it from others as well.
I hope this helps.
newbstermagi
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of newbstermagi
I know this thread is a bit older, but I do have one question: What if you know the restaurant is privately owned (A local business) and the original call to get the info is not needed, do you call to set up an appointment for the pitch, do the pitch over the phone and then go in for an audition? I guess what I am asking is, if you know they are privately owned, and you want to catch the GM/Owner, how do you go about it for this circumstance? I am a teenager, so there are mild transportation issues at this point, but knowing I have an audition, meeting time or if they accept me, knowing when I work is not a problem in arranging transportation, but going in just to strike out in finding who it is I need to speak to seems a bit, for lack of a better word, impractical at this point. Any suggestions would be great!
Matt B.
kennewhitson
View Profile
New user
Kansas
69 Posts

Profile of kennewhitson
Great info! Thannks for your insight.
jasonpartin
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of jasonpartin
Great tips from seasoned performers - thanks!

I'll offer a tip from a seasoned performer who has been a first-timer TWICE... I took a 15 year break as other responsibilities dominated my ability to perform a couple of nights a week. I recently returned to working restaurants. My advice is: don't over-think picking a restaurant for your first gig, just visit the place a few times and find an off-time to approach the manager or owner, then be honest about being relatively inexperienced and ask if you could perform before the busy times on an off-night. I choose Thursdays, even though I've been on a break, I have enough experience under my belt to jump back into it and know that I don't enjoy working on weekends. Thursday is a happy medium. Tuesdays or Wednesdays are ideal for a first-time performer, and you could always add more nights after the restaurant sees your value.

Regarding tips, again I recommend not over-analyzing it. Get a few weeks under your belt for free, then figure out what works for you. Personally, I start off by saying that I'm offering a free service provided by the restaurant to ensure that everyone has a good time. I find that this diffuses inevitable tension (most people don't want to be solicited during an already expensive meal), yet I still get tips (even better, they seek me out later in the evening - it's feels more sincere!). Plus, being good pays for itself... focusing on making people feel good and have fun can lead to private parties or corporate gigs that add up more than tips.

Above all, be courteous. All of the analyzing about how to approach a restaurant, how much to charge, or how to get tips goes out the window when performers interrupt a conversation, rush through effects without developing a personal connection, or try to impress people rather than entertain them. If you're a good entertainer (more than a magician), the methods of obtaining money unique to your approach will unfold. Good luck!
paymerich
View Profile
Special user
Norwalk, CT
546 Posts

Profile of paymerich
I know of one restaurant that would close with out its entertainment : HOOTERS!
Have a Magical Day!
<BR>
<BR>The Maniacal Mage
<BR>
<BR>Pablo Aymerich
<BR>Norwalk, CT 06851
mgsmagic
View Profile
New user
Torrance CA
26 Posts

Profile of mgsmagic
I've been trying to get a restaurant for sometime now to no avail. I tried approaching a few but they all whine that I'll compete with the wait staff for tips, so when I offered an hourly rate they balked that they'd have to pay anything at all. At the end of the day it seems that no matter how I structure this I don't get gigs. I'd like a mid term regular restaurant gig to aid in marketing other gigs, however thus far I haven't gotten anything.
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1538 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
Thank you SO MUCH for posting this. I've been eyeing several local restaurants and this list will help immensely!
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2543 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Christopher,

Many thanks for taking the time and energy to write up such an informative and interesting article.

Can I just clarify a few points?

(i) Do you (and other magicians in the USA) work for a set wage OR do you receive a small retainer from the restaurant and work for tips?

(ii) If you work for tips, what is your 'come on' to get you at the tables?

(iii) Do you get any problem with the waiting staff as you are potentially reducing their opportunity for tips?

I'd be really interested to hear from yourself (and obviously other magicians) that may have some answers to these points.

Sincere regards,

Barry
Barry Allen

Over 15 years have now passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5697 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Quote:
On 2011-09-15 15:04, Merc Man wrote:
Do you (and other magicians in the USA) work for a set wage OR do you receive a small retainer from the restaurant and work for tips?

I NEVER work for just tips! Other people do and that's there deal...but you'll never see me working for tips alone. Any restaurant that I perform in I am being paid an hourly rate + I accept tips + my family and I eat there for free whenever we want.

Quote:
(ii) If you work for tips, what is your 'come on' to get you at the tables?

n/a

Quote:
Do you get any problem with the waiting staff as you are potentially reducing their opportunity for tips?

Nope! The waitstaff make more money on the nights I work b/c I'm keeping their customers happy. The servers let their guests know about the awesome magician and ask if they'd like me to visit with them. Since the server let's them know about me, they get (normally) a nice tip from their guests.
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Blayk P
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Blayk P
So much great information here. I'll be using a lot of it soon! Thanks!