The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Table hoppers & party strollers :: How to Successfully Book a Restaurant (38 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Flavioromano: Do you actively advertise your services through places other than that restaurant?
Newspaper adverts, notice boards in supermarkets, local radio or TV station. Word of mouth.

Look at it as objectively as you can: this is a negotiation problem, and it seems to me that some/most? of these times you are on the losing side.
If he wanted you lots the restaurant would be planning to have you more involved I think. How can you make it a win-win situation?

I suggest you do some reading/research on negotiation skills. Books, youtube?, whatever.

Alternately, keep him low on your list of priorities of venues and get to and make more money at other venues.

All the best...
The presentation makes the magic.
SimonG-97
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of SimonG-97
Quote:
On Dec 29, 2013, flavioromano wrote:
Very Useful topic!
I have al ittle problem; I have done a free night for a ristorant owner, he calls me on the busy nights. He says to me "call me sometimes to remember me to do magic nights" but often when I call him, he says "Sorry this evening I have few reservations, call me another time!".
This is very frustrating, because this is a high value restaurant and I get other jobs from it, I would like to be there very often!

I'm not a restaurant worker, but from everything I've read in preparing to do so it seems you have missed one key point. Make sure to tell the manager the role of a magician is to entertain guests and drum up business when they have average/slow nights.

Think about it from a business perspective, if an audience is having a great night and making lots of money, why would you need a magician to come and make the night more successful?

Magician and entertainment should be there to help the restaurant out in the week and slow nights and make those kind of slow nights better for the restaurant. Even if a restaurant owner doesn't believe you can drum up more custom, even if you do have a couple signs, leaflets in menu racks advertising when you are appearing at the restaurant, you can still approach with the angle that by entertaining guests on quiet nights those guests are more likely to come back, reccememend the venue to friends, and it turns their perspective of "oh it was a good restaurant but a little quiet" to, "yeah it was a really nice place, they had a great close up magician perform while your food was being prepared, it was great"

That's what you should be telling the restaurant owner.

Ps I know this was an old post, but if anyone else reads I hope it helps

Ps s s edit 2. Sorry , yes I did say I'm not a restaurant worker yet but this is all advice a VERY knowledgable restaurant magician friend of mine gave me
Wesr3
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Wesr3
What a great article! This is very insightful. A close magician friend of mine suggested leaving the tips that you receive for the waiters and waitresses. This causes them to like you and they will speak good of you to the boss... thus increasing your chances of keeping the gig. its food for thought.
obrienmagic
View Profile
Special user
753 Posts

Profile of obrienmagic
I have started using a sort of "Tags for Tips" method when it comes to tips and has worked out quite well. That is Rather than accepting a tip, you give them your social media info and take a group picture with them. Ask them to tag you in it and follow you on social media. I encourage them to videotape my performances and post them AS LONG AS THEY TAG ME AND FOLLOW ME! Smile This has done a great job at helping get some organic follows on my social media which is what I use primarily for marketing.

I then tell them to give the monetary tip to their wait staff instead Smile If the person insists they want to give me an additional monetary tip as well I will graciously take it only after turning it down for the photo op. Smile
Visit my online store at http://www.obrienmagic.com/magic-shop Smile
wchoo002
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of wchoo002
Hi all,

Was wondering what happens if you are halfway through an effect and the food comes.
RowB
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of RowB
Quote:
On Mar 13, 2017, wchoo002 wrote:
Hi all,

Was wondering what happens if you are halfway through an effect and the food comes.

From my experience that's why it's best to do short effects while table hopping. So you can finish fast.
Nickoli Sharpe
View Profile
Regular user
Worldwide
160 Posts

Profile of Nickoli Sharpe
Not sure if anyone is still following this.
When food arrives is when I say enjoy your dinner
And leave.
Brainbu$ter
View Profile
Veteran user
Indianapolis, IN
326 Posts

Profile of Brainbu$ter
Quote:
On Apr 19, 2017, RowB wrote:
From my experience that's why it's best to do short effects while table hopping. So you can finish fast.

As good or better, modular effects. These have multiple climaxes, where you can stop pretty much any time
and they think it was the natural ending of the effect. A trick you can do the effect more than once is ideal for this,
such as Crazy Man's Handcuffs (where you can repeat it a couple times but have each time seem more impossible--1st the usual way,
then looking from below, then looking from over performer's shoulder, then spectator holding the bands...get The Magic of Michael Ammar,
because this is one of those tricks that's easy to do badly, but when done well is amazing), or ACR,
or Homing Card (from Card College...card jumps to pocket, then whole deck minus selected card jumps to pocket).
wchoo002
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of wchoo002
Thanks!
Ceierry
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1586 Posts

Profile of Ceierry
Perfect !

have a look at this post ! Don't make the same mistake !

http://olivierboes.com/blog/my-weirdest-......s-weird/
Author of 10S Star Sign Divination - olivier.ceierry@gmail.com for a digital copy.
RickDangerous
View Profile
Special user
I can't believe I made
974 Posts

Profile of RickDangerous
Quote:
On Dec 29, 2016, obrienmagic wrote:
I have started using a sort of "Tags for Tips" method when it comes to tips and has worked out quite well. That is Rather than accepting a tip, you give them your social media info and take a group picture with them. Ask them to tag you in it and follow you on social media. I encourage them to videotape my performances and post them AS LONG AS THEY TAG ME AND FOLLOW ME! Smile This has done a great job at helping get some organic follows on my social media which is what I use primarily for marketing.

I then tell them to give the monetary tip to their wait staff instead Smile If the person insists they want to give me an additional monetary tip as well I will graciously take it only after turning it down for the photo op. Smile

Pure gold!! thanks for sharing
"Reality is what you can get away with."
Robert A. Wilson

"Think for yourself and question authority."
Timothy Leary
Masterallen
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of Masterallen
Christopher...I am a locksmith in my local town and in the beginning I approached home builders in that very manor. “It works like a charm”. Nothing beats good old customer service and salesmanship” the buyer always wants a memorable experience and sometimes that’s the only thing that sets us apart from everyone else and convincing a person to buy something they didn’t even know they wanted. GREAT JOB!
drmolarmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Brooklyn NY
168 Posts

Profile of drmolarmagic
Quote:
On May 9, 2017, Nickoli Sharpe wrote:
Not sure if anyone is still following this.
When food arrives is when I say enjoy your dinner
And leave.

If this happens and you can't "reveal" their card, and have to leave, make sure the name of the selected care is written on their check. Along with a "Thank You!" Nice way to close the visit and meal.
Bruce
Count Hatrick
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Count Hatrick
That's a great idea, drmolarmagic - thanks.
madmalone
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of madmalone
Coming late late, but really nice tips. Thanks!
Halmac
View Profile
Regular user
Alabama USA
169 Posts

Profile of Halmac
This is a phenomenal thread. Thanks to everyone for sharing. I will add what others have touched on… what is the ‘why’ of restaurant, event or wedding strolling/table hopping. Why? The rationale needs to be a benefit for the owner/manager. How will this help them, their patrons, servers etc. too many times we are focused on us; the magician. Our vision has to be to help them and a by product of the service is it helps us. Entertainment is not the only why, but part of the why lol.
Hal,
Close Up Awesome-ness
HalSaxonMagic.com
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3096 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Quote:
On Mar 5, 2022, Halmac wrote:
This is a phenomenal thread. Thanks to everyone for sharing. I will add what others have touched on… what is the ‘why’ of restaurant, event or wedding strolling/table hopping. Why? The rationale needs to be a benefit for the owner/manager. How will this help them, their patrons, servers etc. too many times we are focused on us; the magician. Our vision has to be to help them and a by product of the service is it helps us. Entertainment is not the only why, but part of the why lol.

As a restaurant performer for 18 years weekly (until March of 2020,Covid) the management have shared with me that it's not JUST THE MAGIC rather the way I just interacted with the patrons in a friendly and welcoming manner. Knowing that I was respecting their space and time. Sometimes I didn't even perform at a particular table. I NEVER solicited tips which I felt put many at ease. The area I performed in was not a tourist destination so repeat customers (locals) were the norm.

Bottom line and the reason for my long run at several restaurants was that performing wasn't about me or necessarily about the magic (although a big part) it was about caring about the people coming in. Their lives, their children and providing an escape from their troubles even for just a few minutes. I could share many stories.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
Halmac
View Profile
Regular user
Alabama USA
169 Posts

Profile of Halmac
Quote:
On Mar 12, 2022, davidpaul$ wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 5, 2022, Halmac wrote:

As a restaurant performer for 18 years weekly (until March of 2020,Covid) the management have shared with me that it's not JUST THE MAGIC rather the way I just interacted with the patrons in a friendly and welcoming manner. Knowing that I was respecting their space and time. Sometimes I didn't even perform at a particular table. I NEVER solicited tips which I felt put many at ease. The area I performed in was not a tourist destination so repeat customers (locals) were the norm.

Bottom line and the reason for my long run at several restaurants was that performing wasn't about me or necessarily about the magic (although a big part) it was about caring about the people coming in. Their lives, their children and providing an escape from their troubles even for just a few minutes. I could share many stories.

Very well said davidpaul$.

Love this: davidpaul$ said.... "it was about caring about the people coming in."

If we get this straight, the rest will fall into place.
Hal,
Close Up Awesome-ness
HalSaxonMagic.com
RobertApodaca
View Profile
Regular user
Henderson, NV
151 Posts

Profile of RobertApodaca
I recommend "Live at the Jailhouse DVD" for practical advice on restaurant work.

One of the practical tips I picked up from the creator of Jeopardy (forget his name) was if a table really loved your performance, decline a tip, but ask them to let the hostess know on the way out how much you enjoyed it.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3877 Posts

Profile of Julie
I haven't read through this entire section, but in case someone hasn't mentioned it already, David Stone's CLOSE UP --The Real Secrets of Magic--The Book (Copyright 2005) seems to be a really thorough detailed guide through the perils and joys of close-up/restaurant work.

In any case it is a most enjoyable read and I think anyone seriously considering this kind of venue will enjoy and benefit from investing your time perusing this book (available in paperback, too).

Julie