The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: APPealing or APPalling? :: Review: CardOracle by Yves Domergue (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
studentoflife
View Profile
Veteran user
Paris, France
310 Posts

Profile of studentoflife
It has been a very long hesitation before deciding if this review should be posted or not.... I picked this app last week and loaded it into my phone... and even now, 7 days and twenty performances later, I'm still amazed by the GENIOUS thinking behind the whole routine!

It’s truly BAFFLING… so baffling I really want to stop writing this so I can keep this for myself!! $64.99 is really a cheap price to pay considering this can be as strong as Leipzig would have loved this and as emotional as Armando’s empanada… especially if you consider being able to perform it anytime anywhere with no (or just a mini) setup with any workable deck…

Yes, it is that good!
CardOracle is something that will fool the most suspicious heckler as it will completely fool your best most experienced magician buddy…

Quote:
Full Routine overview as YOU will perform it
You launch CardOracle and give your iPhone and an ordinary deck of playing cards to a spectator. From this moment, you are no longer going to touch your phone, nor are you going to manipulate the deck: everything happens right in the spectator's hands. Can’t be more fair!
The deck is removed from its case and thoroughly shuffled by a spectator. They deal 5 cards face down on the table. The deck is then shuffled again by the spectator and 4 of the 5 cards turned face up and keyed one by one into the CardOracle application which then makes a prediction. 'The next card will be... (for instance) the King of Hearts'. The fifth card is turned over: it IS the King of Hearts!
This is just the beginning though...
The spectator then deals 4 face down cards. These are shuffled and one is placed aside. The remaining three cards are keyed into CardOracle in the order they wish. Once again, CardOracle makes a prediction as to what card is next and, when the fourth card is turned over, it is the predicted card!
But things are still far from over...
The spectator turns over half the deck and shuffles once more. They freely choose 2 of the face-up cards and enter these in CardOracle. Yet again, CardOracle predicts without fail what card is next!
Now for the grand finale!
The iPhone is shaken and a whole deck of cards appears on the screen, the top card being the same as the one on the deck on the table - let's say it's the 3 of Spades.
The next card on the iPhone is the 5 of Clubs. So it is on the deck!
Following that is the Queen of Hearts on both the iPhone and the deck!
And so on, and so on!
In front of the bemused and bedazzled spectator's eyes, the iPhone has managed to predict the order of the entire shuffled deck, right after it had been shuffled by them!

I can't really say more without revealing some of the gems behind that masterpiece... All I can say is after 14 years into magic, I'm very difficult to please with the new effects coming on the market... averagely I only find one true gem in 10 DVDs...

Because I always thought a good effect should get at least more than 8 out of 10 in the following areas:

-How genious the method is...
-How easy workable and angleproofed the whole performance is...
-How streamlined and direct the effect's impact is...
-How strong and emotional is that impact...
-How much room to build up drama around the effect...
-How impossible the backtracking of the method is for the clever spectator...

And I can say it again... CardOracle is that Good... with Iforce, definitely the CLEVEST killer app ever made!
A little hesitation on spending $64.99 on one app? Yes I had... Now I think it deserves to cost $200! ...and I'm sure you will PM me to thank me for letting you discovering this!! Smile

just my 2 cents...
Yif
- Y
<BR>"Nothing is difficult...it's all about what you want, and how bad you want it."
Greg Rostami
View Profile
V.I.P.
Skynet will become self-aware in
2871 Posts

Profile of Greg Rostami
What a great review Yif,

You've totally sparked my interest in this amazing app.

As amazing as it is, the only drawback that I can see is, this is intended for a longer, formal, performance. It's the kind of effect that demands the respect of the audience for more than a minute.

Greg Rostami
unclesamayen
View Profile
Elite user
Taiwan
459 Posts

Profile of unclesamayen
The effect sounds really good.
But
How is the audience think?
Will they think "Iphone is good" instead "The magician is good"?
Because it's all done by the machine.

How is your thought?

YuYen
Comedy, Mental, Busking.
Performing magic for the blinds.
http://youtu.be/nW3O0nucQUI
Busking in Mong Kok
http://youtu.be/WqohXqTxRVU
merlins1nd
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of merlins1nd
Hi I bought this two days ago.

My first thought was it's not for me.
But with all effects I have to try them out to see what reaction I get.

My first test was the wife test. All I can say is it blew her away.
She had a facial expression of total confusion
With a smile from ear to ear. As I mainly only perform my own
Creations in magic/mind reading etc.
She said. Did you make that. I wish lol

It took me back how strong this was. Was nit expecting it.

My second performance was to mymagic mate.
Whom I met up with last night to show him my latest creations.

And have a session.

I told him I also bought the most expensive app that I have ever purchased.

But I am not sure I like it. He said show it to me.

So I did. At every phase of the routine he shouted WHAT!!!!! The F***

He couldn't catch his breath. He said it was the best app

He has seen.

Am I now a believer in this app. You bet I am.

Only two performances I know. But the reactions I got was

Outstanding.

Is it worth the price tag. I think so!

And because it's so high in price. Not so many will purchase it.

Bonus for me.

Maybe I shouldn't have put this review.

If your onthe fence. Jump you will only land on a bed of roses.

Stephen leathwaite
The Spiral Princple & Beyond DVD out 17th Feb 2012 @ www.leathalweapons.co.uk and Blackpool
Yves Doumergue
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of Yves Doumergue
Thanks for your kind words. New update in few weeks
Yves DOUMERGUE.

[email]yves@bluesource.fr[/email]
sabitu
View Profile
Special user
USA
533 Posts

Profile of sabitu
Will this work on an iPod touch with iOS 3.1.2?
Yves Doumergue
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Yes it will work with ipod touch 3.1.2

Yves
Yves DOUMERGUE.

tosca07
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of tosca07
Hi Yves,

I just bought Cardoracle and it has a problem on a iPhone §GS with iOS 4.1.

The program crashes after pressing "PREDICT" in phase 2.

I already tried to reinstall it - but with the same result.

Isn't it compatible with the newest iOS?

Will you work on this?

Thanks&Regards
Dirk
Yves Doumergue
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Dirk,

Did you read/look at the instructions before trying ?
This is totally normal. If you enter the wrong cards in phase 2 (ie the prepared ones) it means that you somewhere mistaken.
Regarding audience point of view, if the program seems to crush you still look good. it seems that the machine fails.
So this is a security to make the performer look good (machine's responsability) if the performes misses something.

Hope this is clear.
Hope this will make you feel the degree of perfection we puted in this amazing routine.
Yves DOUMERGUE.

tosca07
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of tosca07
Yves,

Thanks for the explanation - it was my fault as I used also the fifth Card from the setup what was wrong.
Of course I have read the instruction and in the routine Description of phase 2 there it is not mentioned that the program will quit in Case of wrong entered cards -at least in the english instructions of the app. from the german store.
Anyway - now it works perfectly.

Dirk
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Yves - there's also no mention of where the high/low threshold is AND whether the Ace is high or low. I had to find out for myself which was a little annoying. Perhaps an idea for the update? Great thing when it gets going though!
Yves Doumergue
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Thanks for your comments. The next release will be very soon. We will make these changes in the instructions.
Yves DOUMERGUE.

jbadman
View Profile
Special user
London
986 Posts

Profile of jbadman
Sounds great except...

The advertising says "You launch CardOracle and give your iPhone and an ordinary deck of playing cards to a spectator. From this moment, you are no longer going to touch your phone, nor are you going to manipulate the deck: everything happens right in the spectator's hands. Can’t be more fair!"

Yet Yves refers a couple of posts back to having to enter cards in to the app yourself.

If the first statement is, in fact, correct and you do not touch the phone during this effect then this is an absolute miracle and I will buy this as soon as I can enter a 'wifi' zone... having said that, it still sounds good even if you DO touch the phone...

Jamie.
http://www.underground-collective.com - check out our new DVD now!
celebrity
View Profile
Inner circle
1974 Posts

Profile of celebrity
Nope no touching is needed on this, the spectator can do all of the work!

Best Wishes Michael
As a mentalist you must always ask yourself what if! And throughout your life you should seek to ask and answer this question over and over again, only then will your wildest dreams become a reality!

Visit - www.mindfx.co.uk to learn more!
jbadman
View Profile
Special user
London
986 Posts

Profile of jbadman
Quote:
On 2011-01-27 10:19, celebrity wrote:
Nope no touching is needed on this, the spectator can do all of the work!

Best Wishes Michael

So... really, you don't touch the iPhone and you don't touch the cards - exactly as described? Sounds too good to be true!

Jamie
jbadman
View Profile
Special user
London
986 Posts

Profile of jbadman
Ok, bit the bullet and picked this up. Haven't performed it yet but I have read the instructions and understand MOST of the mechanics. The concept is absolutely brilliant and I cannot wait to try this out.

The only problem I have with this is in the instructions for the first phase - I'll contact Yves directly about this rather than risk any exposure on the site.

Cheers,

Jamie.
jbadman
View Profile
Special user
London
986 Posts

Profile of jbadman
No reply to my question yet - will wait a bit then post it here if no response (as cryptically as I can).

Did notice something though - there's no 'delete' button on the app to let the Spectator fix a mistake or miskey. Would be extremely useful to have this added.

Jamie.
Yves Doumergue
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Jamie,

Sent you a message about your question. hope it gives you answers. If you have further questions, email is perfect.
I'm in Las Vegas for a few days. so not very email reactive.
To delete a card, just shake the iPhone.

Yves
Yves DOUMERGUE.

jbadman
View Profile
Special user
London
986 Posts

Profile of jbadman
Yeah it's all good.

Love this routine and it's well worth the money.

Jamie.
jbadman
View Profile
Special user
London
986 Posts

Profile of jbadman
... Just tried it and shaking doesn't delete the last card entered, unfortunately. Would really appreciate this functionality - or a 'delete' button in an update if possible...

Cheers,

Jamie.