The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Seeing is believing :: What is this optical illusion toy called and where can I get one? (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I did a 5 minute segment on illusion in my school show. The SENIOR High School students really enjoyed and appreciated it.

I used the boomerang sticks, the "What's Next" (Tenyo prop), the silk penetration through mike stand, and a TACTILE illusion (subjective! They had to DO it to "get it"!)

I wrote up the routine in my book. It played well for elementary youngsters, too. (I didn't do the tactile bit for young ones.)
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
VMids
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of VMids
It's like the toothpick trick, not?
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Once, after doing this trick, I let a friend try it, and she got it to work. At the time I thought I spoiled the trick by letting her duplicate the effect.

Much later, I let another friend try it. She actually did it better than I, and she was amazed. For her, she was doing the impossible, and didn't know why it worked. An additional "piece of strange" was found by the magic not only happening in the spectators hands, but totally controlled by the spectator as well.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
MagicalAlex
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of MagicalAlex
Just saw this its insane!
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Ok, you've raised my curiosity; Dick what is this book that you've been mentioning?

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1913 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Dick is referring to his book _Dick Oslund: The Road Scholar--Everything I Own Has a Handle or Wheels_, available from various magic dealers:
http://dennymagic.com/store/everything-i......und.html
or
http://www.magicinc.net/theroadscholarbydickoslund-book.aspx

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Thanks
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I was "surfing" this AM, and dropped in here!

Thanks Sonny for the "commercial"!

I'll PM you, John!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
waldorf
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of waldorf
Try a safety pin and a section of drinking straw. Great give-away item.
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1226 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
Had one of these when I was a boy, and my very clever father figured it out right away. When I didn't believe him he proved it by pushing a pin into the plastic to stop the sword in its tracks. I'll never forget that.
DaleTrueman
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
317 Posts

Profile of DaleTrueman
Quote:
On Sep 14, 2015, John Long wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 26, 2014, Julie wrote:
I remember a version with a small magic wand impaled through the middle by the sharp side of a large safety pin.
Same effect and same basic "secret", but a little tougher on your appendage.
(Wand appears to penetrate the other arm of the pin.)

Julie

When I first saw this in a book (Tarr's 101 Easy to Do Magic Tricks, even Tarbell V3), I just passed over it - just a kid's trick.
When I saw this version demonstrated, wow! It looks very good, and made one up. I think using a safety pin and a wood match(or mini wand) takes this from a kid's toy to a nice impromptu effect.

Funny, I was just given the safety pin and matchstick version last night by a fellow magician. He showed it to a group of us and then gave us all one. I still couldn't figure it out until I was shown. As soon as I saw the youtube video of the bullfighter I thought it must be the same principle!
StarManager
View Profile
Inner circle
Maui, Hawaii
1012 Posts

Profile of StarManager
I love this effect - someone has to make it our of metal with a sophisticated dial. Could be made like a speedometer The hole might be for a gold swizzle stick. Now you have a don't drink and drive theme (here's the test if you had too much - does it look like the needle on the speedo is cutting through the stick? You had too much my friend because THAT is impossible! It really could be positioned this way as a "police detection item" for a great theme! Common magic manufacturers - Let’s get this one in a classy version in ur pockets!

PS - I was so blown away by the current breed of these that I took my trusty iPhone X out and filmed the snap in slow motion to PROVE what was happening - and with a X the slow mo shows it exactly as you expect to see it! Amazing! I want a metal one with a classy display! If enough of you chime in I'll talk to my buddies at Murphy's. . . .

JT
"I'm a professional magician and once in a while I even work." Jonathan Todd Excelsior (StarManager)
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2725 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
On Mar 14, 2018, StarManager wrote:
I love this effect - someone has to make it our of metal with a sophisticated dial. Could be made like a speedometer The hole might be for a gold swizzle stick. Now you have a don't drink and drive theme (here's the test if you had too much - does it look like the needle on the speedo is cutting through the stick? You had too much my friend because THAT is impossible! It really could be positioned this way as a "police detection item" for a great theme! Common magic manufacturers - Let’s get this one in a classy version in ur pockets!

PS - I was so blown away by the current breed of these that I took my trusty iPhone X out and filmed the snap in slow motion to PROVE what was happening - and with a X the slow mo shows it exactly as you expect to see it! Amazing! I want a metal one with a classy display! If enough of you chime in I'll talk to my buddies at Murphy's. . . .

JT

I'm all in.

Steve
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3519 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
StarManager

I'd love a higher quality version of this illusion. One improvement I'd like to see is that the hole where you place the "SWORD" should go all the way through so that the "sword" sticks out both sides.

Once you produce all the mechanics it would be easy to offer a variety of themes. You would only have to change the printing on the face.

How about making it look like a pocket watch? You could show that you can't stop time from passing.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3519 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
When I said "Sword" I should have said "Key"
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
StarManager
View Profile
Inner circle
Maui, Hawaii
1012 Posts

Profile of StarManager
Quote:
On Mar 24, 2018, MeetMagicMike wrote:
StarManager

I'd love a higher quality version of this illusion. One improvement I'd like to see is that the hole where you place the "SWORD" should go all the way through so that the "sword" sticks out both sides.

Once you produce all the mechanics it would be easy to offer a variety of themes. You would only have to change the printing on the face.

How about making it look like a pocket watch? You could show that you can't stop time from passing.

The Pocket Watch is a GREAT IDEA! I think that is the best of the best - but not printed. It needs to BE a watch with real hands and a sophisticated face. All made from metal. Watches have chains and the fob has a vest button bar. the bar makes SENSE to go through the hole. In my cheap version plastic the hole does go all the way through. I love this idea. Stay tuned!
"I'm a professional magician and once in a while I even work." Jonathan Todd Excelsior (StarManager)
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3519 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
StarManager wrote:

Quote:
The Pocket Watch is a GREAT IDEA! I think that is the best of the best - but not printed. It needs to BE a watch with real hands and a sophisticated face. All made from metal. Watches have chains and the fob has a vest button bar. the bar makes SENSE

Glad you like the idea. Please make a note to credit Magic Mike Stillwell. Smile

Love the idea of it looking like a real pocket watch. That would be a cool item. Maybe build some more magic into it like a card revelation hidden in the decorative filigree.

You could tell a story of a gambler in the old west who was caught cheating at cards. He was told he would be shot when the town clock struck high noon. He threw his knife at the clock and blocked the second hand. But the hand moved on anyway and the clock struck noon.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2725 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
On Mar 24, 2018, MeetMagicMike wrote:
StarManager wrote:

Quote:
The Pocket Watch is a GREAT IDEA! I think that is the best of the best - but not printed. It needs to BE a watch with real hands and a sophisticated face. All made from metal. Watches have chains and the fob has a vest button bar. the bar makes SENSE

Glad you like the idea. Please make a note to credit Magic Mike Stillwell. Smile

Love the idea of it looking like a real pocket watch. That would be a cool item. Maybe build some more magic into it like a card revelation hidden in the decorative filigree.

You could tell a story of a gambler in the old west who was caught cheating at cards. He was told he would be shot when the town clock struck high noon. He threw his knife at the clock and blocked the second hand. But the hand moved on anyway and the clock struck noon.

Now if we can find a manufacturer to take on the project.

Steve
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
In the meantime, Meir Yedid started making a "Pro Case" black shell for the toy version of this. It's supposed to make it look more professional:

https://www.mymagic.com/p/close-up-magic......-procase
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Papa Legba
View Profile
Special user
home-an unremarkable spiral arm of an insignificant galaxy
750 Posts

Profile of Papa Legba
Just ordered one of these little bad boys for £3.60 looking forward to getting my hands on it.
Many thanks to the original OP, MeetMagicMike, for bringing this to my attention.

It would be cool to have an identical (but ungimmicked) one to hand to the wise guy who asks "can I have a go"
Art
Use the FORCE Luke.