The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Seeing is believing :: What is this optical illusion toy called and where can I get one? (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3519 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
I'm pretty good at searching for things on the internet but haven't had any luck with this because I don't know the name of it.

It's a small round toy that has a sword in the center (Like the hand of a watch). You also have a small key that can be inserted into the toy so that it seems to block the sword.

When you pull the lever on the side of the toy the sword visibly passes through the key!

The one I used to have had a bullfighter theme and the key had a bulls head on it.

Any one know what this is called? Better yet can you privide a link to purchase?
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1913 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I think you mean the toy called "el torero" at
http://byemylife.com/id19.html
Would you believe that one is advertised at
http://www.vendio.com/stores/foliniandso......=3016715
for the going price of $85.00?????
I've got to think that you could find one at a flea market somewhere. We used to sell this item in Earl Edwards' Magic Shop in Norfolk. It was probably a staple in novelty stores all over.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3519 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Yep, That's it. Thanks for the info. Surely someone must make this currently?
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
magic patagonia
View Profile
Special user
570 Posts

Profile of magic patagonia
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3519 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Yep, that's it exactly. I'd love a source.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3519 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Hey. Two years later and I just found this toy in my local magic shop. It's now called "The Magic Sword" and cost $6.00. I eagerly opened the package and tried it out and the illusion is fantastic.

The salesman pointed out to me that they had gotten rid of the bull graphic but you could still tell that the key was in the shape of a bulls head if you look close.

Just googled it and found it at Penguin and Fun Inc. Here is the penguin link:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S16228
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1913 Posts

Profile of Anatole
PETA must have been behind the change in the toy.

----- Sonny
----- Sonny Narvaez
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3875 Posts

Profile of Julie
This neat little toy magic trick has been manufactured in a couple (or more!) different formats over the years including a risqué "adult(?)" version.

Blushing Julie Smile
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3519 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
I've shown it to several people and NONe of them guessed correctly how it worked. In fact, when I told them how it worked they didn't believe me.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3875 Posts

Profile of Julie
There's what must be a remake being offered by a couple of different sellers on e-bay currently. (not "el torero" picture, though)

Julie
Rick11
View Profile
Loyal user
298 Posts

Profile of Rick11
Quote:
On Jun 23, 2014, MeetMagicMike wrote:
I've shown it to several people and NONe of them guessed correctly how it worked. In fact, when I told them how it worked they didn't believe me.

After reading about it here I purchased one on E-bay. Its really easy to see why no one believed when you told them how it worked. This illusion is perfect! To be able to hand it over to a spectator and they can do it and still can't figure it out is unreal. All for only $2.99 plus shipping!
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3875 Posts

Profile of Julie
I remember a version with a small magic wand impaled through the middle by the sharp side of a large safety pin.
Same effect and same basic "secret", but a little tougher on your appendage.
(Wand appears to penetrate the other arm of the pin.)

Julie
Rick11
View Profile
Loyal user
298 Posts

Profile of Rick11
Too bad that this trick isn't made in a better heavy duty quality. It really should because it's a perfect illusion.

Rick
maousus
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of maousus
What a wonderful vintage little trick effect, thanks for sharing this with us.
robvh
View Profile
Elite user
Calgary, AB
440 Posts

Profile of robvh
I saw one of these within the last few months at The Vanishing Rabbit in Calgary. I believe the design was different though. I'm sure if you were to email or call Brent Smith, the owner, he would be happy to help. Tell him I said hello!
Rick11
View Profile
Loyal user
298 Posts

Profile of Rick11
I just purchased this 1984 Buckaroo Banzai Rocket Jet Car magic illusion on E-bay. http://i.imgur.com/iactznP.jpg
They have more of them and you can make a best offer! The race car goes through the mountain.

Rick
WilburrUK
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of WilburrUK
I remember doing a similar effect with a safety pin and a match-stick about 35 years ago, the illusion is pretty *** convincing.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2724 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
On Jul 18, 2014, WilburrUK wrote:
I remember doing a similar effect with a safety pin and a match-stick about 35 years ago, the illusion is pretty *** convincing.

I did the same thing. It is a thing of beauty.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Jul 18, 2014, WilburrUK wrote:

,,,And, it was just a match stick and a pin! If I remember, it was in a lot of magic sets.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
On Jun 26, 2014, Julie wrote:
I remember a version with a small magic wand impaled through the middle by the sharp side of a large safety pin.
Same effect and same basic "secret", but a little tougher on your appendage.
(Wand appears to penetrate the other arm of the pin.)

Julie

When I first saw this in a book (Tarr's 101 Easy to Do Magic Tricks, even Tarbell V3), I just passed over it - just a kid's trick.
When I saw this version demonstrated, wow! It looks very good, and made one up. I think using a safety pin and a wood match(or mini wand) takes this from a kid's toy to a nice impromptu effect.
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking