The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tricks & Accessories :: The Awakening by Dan Harlan :: TOPIC IS LOCKED (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3783 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
The Awakening by Dan Harlan
-------------oOo------------

Product Description: Three SEPARATE ropes are shown... a short one, a medium one, and a long one. With NO looping, NO folding, NO suspicious moves of any kind, the ropes instantly change to the exact same length! The ropes are still very clearly displayed as three SEPARATE, yet equal, pieces of rope.

Then, just by pulling the once through your hand, they instantly return to their original lengths... a short, a medium, and a long. Really, it is just that quick and easy! THE AWAKENING is so FAST, so VISUAL, so MAGICAL that when it is repeated, the audience becomes more puzzled, amazed and amused each time the ropes change. The ropes seem to change all by themselves. It looks like REAL MAGIC!

The included script offers the most logical, and humorous explanation for how it's done... "I don't know." You'll love the way this fun routine (and brilliant method) breathes new life into a classic and audiences will delight at just how effortless it all appears.

No Magnets, No Snaps, No Velcro, no complicated sleight-of-hand!

--------------------

I would venture to say that most lay audiences enjoy watching a good rope trick when presented well. There are plenty of reasons as to why this is with the most likely explanation being that the trick is extremely visual, even from a stage. Because of this it is typically easy for one to understand and follow what is transpiring even for a deaf person.

With that in mind, throughout the years magicians have been doing a great many things with rope. Not including the mythical Indian Rope Trick, various ideas and presentations have been devised and range from magicians performing miraculous escapes to cutting and restoring a rope, causing color changes, stretching the ropes and even linking and unlinking them.

With all that in mind, most would agree that one of the true classics of rope magic has always been the now famous Professor's Nightmare. Invented by Bob Carver, he actually performed the trick and won the 1957 IBM Originality Trophy. For a complete history of this trick I recommend you read the article on Genii Magazine's Magic Pedia site.

Since its debut the trick has seen print in various forms. Indeed, countless magazines, pamphlets, monographs, lecture notes, books and most recently video's and DVDs have all featured various methods, handlings and presentations. In addition, their have been numerous marketed versions - some good and some not worth mentioning. I have even seen the trick included in a number of beginner's magic sets. I believe that's because it's basically a no brainer to do. Smile

Now, thanks to the creative mind of creator Dan Harlan magicdom now has a totally reworked and updated version of an old classic that many of you will immediately want to include in your current repertoires.

By the way, the ad copy above really doesn't do this trick any justice at all. When seen you just won't believe your eyes. When presented to a lay audience this version could possibly get you burned to the stake! Okay, probably not. But, your audience is going to love you for it. All that aside, I will also venture to say that even the most well read and educated magicians will have no clue as to what they've just witnessed. Not that it matters but this really is a magician fooler.

So, for a very tiny sum you recieve four pages of well illustrated and easy to understand instructions. In addition, included in the package are all the necessary ropes and that special something that makes it all possible. In a world of mostly worthless one-trick DVDs its very refreshing to see some of our best creators still providing written instructions to amazing tricks. Thanks Mr. Harlan, forcing folks to read will help keep the hacks away. Smile

Now, If you currently feature one of the classic versions of the Professor's Nightmare in your act you will have no problem switching over to the new kid on the block. Those of you unfamiliar with the effect or are perhaps new to rope magic in general should still have the basics down in no time at all. Once the basic moves have been mastered you'll no doubt want to develop your very own routines or at least you should.

Whether you're performing on a stage, doing close-up, working behind the bar or just roaming from table to table this bad boy could well be just what the doctor ordered. While not instant, it doesn't take long to get everything ready to go for your next performance. It just doesn't get much better than that folks.

So to sum it all up, I wholeheartedly recommend this trick to anyone even remotely interested in rope magic. Its a breeze to learn, fun to perform, can be carried in your pocket and yet packs a huge wallop. A rare thing in magic these days. Buy this now! Smile

------

My rating:

Suggested retail is $20.00 USD plus $5.00 USD S/H (USA & Canada). International S/H $10.00 USD

Available directly from Dan Harlan:

Dan accepts payments via PayPal to danharlanmagic@yahoo.com

You may also purchase via snail mail by sending a check or International Money Order (US funds only) to:

Dan Harlan
630 N Sixth St
Fremont OH 43420
USA

Questions? You may email Dan at:
danharlanmagic@yahoo.com

---
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks