The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The words we use :: Why is this funny??? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jeff Jenson
View Profile
Veteran user
Denver, Colorado
319 Posts

Profile of Jeff Jenson
Ok this may be difficult to explain in typing but I will try...
In my stage shows I get ready to perform bill in lemon, I look at the audience and tell them, "I need to borrow something green" (pause), "I need to borrow something with numbers on it" (pause), I lean forward a little and say, "it's called money people."

Every time I do this 85% to 90% of the audience laughs. Why is this line funny???
Jeff Jenson
"Keep The Magic Alive"
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1259 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
The way you tell it?
Protection for mind readers and mentalists: http://tricksofthemind.com
SeasideShowman
View Profile
Elite user
Myrtle Beach, SC
443 Posts

Profile of SeasideShowman
Curly Howard of The Three Stooges once said, "One night I was on stage and I went, "Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk". The audience laughed. I kept it in the show."

Don't over think it.

I don't care if they're are laughing at me or laughing with me as long as they're laughing.
"I didn't care if they were laughing at me or laughing with me ... as long as they were laughing" - Unknown
www.MagicAtTheBeach.org
"I'm with it"
MagicJuggler
View Profile
Inner circle
Anchorage, AK
1161 Posts

Profile of MagicJuggler
It may be because people are reluctant to part with money, especially at a magic show where many will have already seen a magician destroy someone's money before. The delivery you're using, if I've correctly interpreted it, is playing off that reluctance. I've found that in dealing with money, making jokes or comments about trust or people being cheap etc. tend to work well because of the common experiance of not wanting to give up your hard earned cash. They may be laughing because they realized what you wanted, and had no intention of giving you any. Thus when you give a comment that essentially implies in a non-offensive way "come you cheapskates you're holding up the show."
I use a line sometimes when I hand a spectator a bill for a transposition effect, "I'm going to trust you for a moment....But only for a moment." Implying that I want my money back and the end of the trick, don't run off with it. Sometimes it's funny simply because your joke points out exactly what they were thinking at the time.
Matthew Olsen

I heard from a friend that anecdotal evidence is actually quite reliable.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6142 Posts

Profile of motown
If it works don't change it.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
They forgot what money looks like?
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Laughter can sometimes be a polite way of expressing embarrassment.

Sometimes, the joke is on us...
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
aaronharp88
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of aaronharp88
It could be worse in my kid shows I use a die box but refer to it as a dice so smaller kids understand what I'm saying and just the other day I had a guy correct me on it... The first time since ive been performing this for 10 years someone corrected me on it... so from now on its a block with colored dots on each side
kal
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of kal
To dissect it:
It's funny because it has a twist ending that people can't immediately see coming.

If it works keep it!
I'm always honest about when I'm lying. And I'm always lying...
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3227 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
Quote:
On 2010-09-07 10:49, Jeff77 wrote:
In my stage shows I get ready to perform bill in lemon, I look at the audience and tell them, "I need to borrow something green" (pause), "I need to borrow something with numbers on it" (pause), I lean forward a little and say, "it's called money people."

Every time I do this 85% to 90% of the audience laughs. Why is this line funny???

I think kal is right. Not being there, I can only guess, but here's what I think might be going on:

Saying, "I need to borrow something green," would normally be an odd request, but where you're an entertainer, and in particular a magician, it's not that strange and it generates interest. Most people in the audience probably have no idea where you're heading at this point.

Then, when you say, "I need to borrow something with numbers on it," it sounds like a totally separate request, as if you need one thing that's green and then another thing that has numbers.

Finally, when you connect them in a request asking for money, the audience makes the connection and is amused both that they didn't make the connection earlier and that asking for money is a mild imposition and inherently funny anyway. Drawing them in like that is amusing.

Again, that's just a guess.

Once when I was performing a routine in a Veteran's hospital, I showed a red handkerchief and then a green handkerchief at the start of a routine. As I briefly displayed the green handkerchief, one of the patients said loudly, "It looks like a map." I said, trying to agree with him, "Well, it is green." That got a big laugh from most people in the room. To this day, I have no idea why that was considered so funny. He might have been hard of hearing and been talking to someone else? Perhaps there was some other reason.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
Atte
View Profile
New user
Finland
33 Posts

Profile of Atte
I agree with Bill. I think that the audience may feel little stupid when they haven't been able to connect two things (green,numbers) to thing as simple as money and that's why they laugh. But if it works just do what Nike tells you to do: just do it.

~Atte
Human being, magician, student and squash player. Order may vary depending on the situation, but usually first in the list is "human being".
ddamen
View Profile
Regular user
Bay Area
140 Posts

Profile of ddamen
Yeah that's why I laughed. I felt dumb for not making such a simple connection
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
Quote:
On Sep 7, 2010, Jeff77 wrote:

I think maybe because no one wants to be the one to volunteer. As soon as you say something green, they all know what you are talking about, but no one wants to be called on to help out. So, everyone is hesitating because they hope someone else volunteers.

So the awkward pause is because of this. By using the pauses like you did and using the magic of three, the line about money releases their uncomfortable feeling and they release in laughter. Plus, attitude also makes people laugh. I'm sure when you say the line, "it's called money people" your attitude changes.
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
I don't doubt that the line gets a laugh, but I don't think the line is funny.
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
The line may not be funny, but somehow it strikes the audience as funny. Sometimes you just can't explain it.
Tukaram
View Profile
Loyal user
Iloilo, Philippines
227 Posts

Profile of Tukaram
Yeah it is not a one liner kind of joke. It is a situational humor joke.

Could be they did not make the connection, so it was an embarrassment laugh. Or they don't want to loan money so it is a nervous laugh. Could be any number of things. If it works - keep doing it Smile
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
If it is an embarassment laugh or a nervous laugh, it is not because the situation is funny. It would be indicative of being uncomfortable.
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1452 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
In todays culture if you ask for something green... someone may hand you a 'joint'.

Ray
Mentalism in Ontario.
Dr_Bagelman
View Profile
Regular user
Among the Dead
119 Posts

Profile of Dr_Bagelman
Quote:
On Sep 30, 2015, Ray Bertrand wrote:
In todays culture if you ask for something green... someone may hand you a 'joint'.

Ray

Smile
Before we begin any good experiment, we must remember to hydrate.
Watch my mad science videos!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Nov 28, 2010, aaronharp88 wrote:
It could be worse in my kid shows I use a die box but refer to it as a dice so smaller kids understand what I'm saying and just the other day I had a guy correct me on it... The first time since ive been performing this for 10 years someone corrected me on it... so from now on its a block with colored dots on each side

I suppose that the guy told you that the proper word was "die". Well, THAT shows you that the guy never saw the late Jay Marshall, do the die box!!!

Jay, in his very funny routine, which he did on the USO circuit in the mid '40s, always explained that the "proper" term was, "DOUSE". ("MICE" (plural) therefore, "MOUSE" (singular) Besides, his father had told him when he was a young lad: "NEVER say die!"

Jay never did explain about "house"/"hice"!

(About 13% of our 'every day' language is from Anglo/Saxon words.)
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK