The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Knots and loops :: Dan Harlan's "Awakening" (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Saw Dan do this in his show at the Castle. Very strong effect. If I were to get it I would shorten the routine and maybe go into something else with the one fair rope tossing the other pieces into my bag.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
SteveFromSpokane
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of SteveFromSpokane
I just got mine recently. Simply eye candy for the spectators.

When explaining that I can do it but don't know the secret, I like to explain I can make a TV work by turning it on but really don't have a clue how it works either.

Posted: Jul 3, 2011 10:25pm
When I say simply eye candy, I don't mean to lessen it but it is just enjoyable to sit and watch.

Quote:
On 2011-06-25 12:57, Pete Biro wrote:
Saw Dan do this in his show at the Castle. Very strong effect. If I were to get it I would shorten the routine and maybe go into something else with the one fair rope tossing the other pieces into my bag.

I thought about that too using one the longer fair rope. But it quite short and not certain what routine I could use with that length of rope.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Segueing into Dean's Box? Ring off Rope. Stretching rope.... lots of things.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
I just got it in yesterday and I love it...one thing that went through my mind if you work with children, you could develop a fantasic routine for kids with this...talk about how you wish you could make the ropes all the same size, you do it, the kids see it, but every time you go to look at it, they are back to three different sizes (look but don't see concept)you could milk this one and the kids would go crazy...and the adults would totally blown away...
SteveFromSpokane
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of SteveFromSpokane
Quote:
On 2011-07-17 07:15, Terry Owens wrote:
I just got it in yesterday and I love it...one thing that went through my mind if you work with children, you could develop a fantasic routine for kids with this...talk about how you wish you could make the ropes all the same size, you do it, the kids see it, but every time you go to look at it, they are back to three different sizes (look but don't see concept)you could milk this one and the kids would go crazy...and the adults would totally blown away...

I like your idea there, it got me thinking more about it. Perhaps one could do a takeoff of fairy tales with a a collison of The Three Little Pigs and Godilocks. One moment you have the Papa Bear, Mama Bear and Baby Bear in Goldilocks and in a second you have the Three Little Pigs.
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
998 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
I've finally found time to make video instructions for The Awakening. I'm offering these FREE to anyone who owns this effect. I've already sent the link to everyone who ever ordered directly from my site, but I'd like to make sure everybody else can get them, too... regardless of where you purchased The Awakening. If you're interested, simply contact me through my email address below and tell me how many illustrations are in the original printed instructions for The Awakening. If you've lost them, you can still contact me and include a small picture of yourself with the ropes. I'll respond with a link to the video.
--Dan Harlan
danharlanmagic@yahoo.com
Visit My Site @

www.themystictower.com
MagicofDesperado
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of MagicofDesperado
Does anyone know what kind of rope is used in the awakening? I am using a similar type of rope (with that shiny slippery finish) for another effect but haven't stumbled across more of it until I bought "The Awakening".

Thx
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
The effect really fooled me the first time I watched it... but
Isn't this more of a magician fooler? (especially since Dan's patter conditioned us to think in terms of Prof. Nightmare).

Seems like if I showed this to non-magicians, a very standard rope gimmick would come to mind.

For those that have performed this for a lay audience, do you think this is really better than PN?

John Long
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Right John! I DO NOT LIKE HIS TIPPING THE LINKED BIGHTS which is the basic principle of PN.

EYE CANDY, YES.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
poolside
View Profile
New user
Tampa, Florida
73 Posts

Profile of poolside
I saw Dan perform this at a Penguin event in Tampa last week and immediately ordered it online. I can't wait to do this for my local magic club. I am surprised to find out how long this has been out there without me ever seeing it as I have seen a lot of PN routines over the years. Anyway... seems like a terrific effect to show a bunch of magicians already familiar with it.
"It's a good feeling to know you're alive" - Fred Rogers
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
It's definitely a great step up from the standard PN.

I have a nephew who is learning magic. I heard he learned the standard PN, and is doing good. I was asked for my input on rope magic, and I want to inspire him. I think I will blow him away with Awakening.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On Dec 4, 2017, John Long wrote:
The effect really fooled me the first time I watched it... but
Isn't this more of a magician fooler? (especially since Dan's patter conditioned us to think in terms of Prof. Nightmare).

Seems like if I showed this to non-magicians, a very standard rope gimmick would come to mind.

For those that have performed this for a lay audience, do you think this is really better than PN?

John Long

It goes beyond magician fooler due to the fact that you continually REPEAT it throughout the routine. In the audiences mind, well, it’s one of those rare effects that actually gets stronger with each repeat, contrary to our standard magician’s rule not to repeat an effect for the same audience.

And for the ending you do the “instant” changes to bring it to a strong conclusion.

Good stuff!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
vinod_furtado
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of vinod_furtado
Can the ropes be examined . I guess no
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2780 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Quote:
On Apr 10, 2024, vinod_furtado wrote:
Can the ropes be examined . I guess no

good guess!
georgebd
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of georgebd
Just now became aware of this. Going to pick this up and work with my grandson on it.