The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Deckless! :: Best packet trick of all time (59 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19..23~24~25~26 [Next]
Ghost Counter
View Profile
New user
Plymouth, England
36 Posts

Profile of Ghost Counter
Continuing this thread, some of my favourites include Alex Elmsleys Four Card Trick, Jazz Aces (using Jokers in place of spot cards & Bruce Cervon's Red Backed Aces (although the last two are Ace assemblies, I think they can also be categorised as "Packet Tricks".
ejohn
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta
723 Posts

Profile of ejohn
I love Phil Goldstein’s A VERY GOOD HAND. A three phase ambitious sequence, a show of the cards as all aces of spades, climaxing with a royal flush in hearts. With a simple cop of one card, you can throw the five cards on the table for inspection. Normal cards, quick setup, easy moves, eye popping. It’s in FOCUS and Jerry Mentzer’s booklet PACKETS, as I recall.
ejohn
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta
723 Posts

Profile of ejohn
Correction: VERY GOOD HAND is in Mentzer’s Packets and his Card Cavalcade IV. It is not in Focus.
Phil J.
View Profile
Elite user
467 Posts

Profile of Phil J.
I’ve probably posted this before but this thread has been going so long I can’t remember! Lol

My three favourites:

Royal Scam by John Bannon

Rainbow Cascade by Terri Rogers (original version by Roy Walton)

Guessing Game by David Britland
You were born original... Don't die a copy Smile
balbec
View Profile
New user
few
62 Posts

Profile of balbec
Eventually, twisting the aces and Dr Daliey’s last trick may be the very best.
happy003
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of happy003
I'm looking for the name of an old packet trick. The performer pulled out a manila envelope that was gaff with a small window cut out. It was a three card monte of sorts. The patter was about his father pulling out the packet every time it was time to do chores. Each time the spectator would incorrectly guess the location of the cards until finally the card was revealed to have never left the packet in the middle of the table. That's all I remember except it used the elm Elmsley count. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9538 Posts

Profile of Mb217
The last few posts here have made me think of a couple of the best packet tricks I’ve played with. Of course, there are many great ones, hard to beat the likes of NFW or Double Back, etc., both just remarkable works that have stood the test of time. But when I want to keep it simple, gaffed and ungaffed, man it’s even harder to beat the sheer overall simplicity of effects like Vernon’s, Twisting The Aces and Phil Goldstein’s (aka Max Maven), B’Wave…Just so good and pretty darn easy too! Smile

When I’m doing tricks from a regular deck, which I prefer nowadays, Twisting The Aces is the packet trick I will do, it’s just so organic to simply pull the 4 aces from the deck I’m using. I usually say something like, “Sometimes it’s easier for folks to follow just a few cards rather than a whole deck.” Smile

When I’m just doing a few various things, coin tricks or a little closeup, the packet trick of choice is B’Wave. Why? Because though it uses cards, it’s more of a neat little piece of mentalism, and at the very least it’s both, cards & mentalism, 2 for the price of 1. This old trick is a classic for a reason. If you haven’t done it, give it a whirl and see for yourself. Smile I still carry it in an old packet trick wallet, so easy to do and allows for so much interaction in the presentation.

Both tricks are always a couple pieces of some very memorable amazement with just a few cards. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, California
890 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
MB.
Me too! I've been doing Twisting the Aces and also Dr. Daley's Last Trick (both after one of several different ace productions). B'wave also if I remember to put it in my shirt pocket!

One other new addition to my carry is "Chop Shop" by Bannon/Francis. So easy and quite a stunner.

Phil
dmcknight
View Profile
New user
who finally has
64 Posts

Profile of dmcknight
I've been digging B'wave and Spin Doctor, which is a version of Twisting the Aces with some very nice surprises, and you are clean at the end.
"Success" is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9538 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Hey, anybody tried this…we were just talking about these 2 specific effects…WOW!

https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/18771
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
cuchullain
View Profile
New user
Oklahoma City
94 Posts

Profile of cuchullain
I carry John Bannon's Duplicity with each of the two packets wrapped in Martin Gardner's Folded dollar bill (Larry Haas - Penguin Live) on each side of a leather card holder. The importance I give to protecting the cards adds to the mystique surrounding the trick.
dj
View Profile
Inner circle
1190 Posts

Profile of dj
Maybe not the best packet trick but I really like this trick:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=JQ_jZCEE0Hw&feature=share8
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1704 Posts

Profile of martydoesmagic
Quote:
On Jul 6, 2023, dj wrote:

Hey DJ,

That's a very cool handling of "Double Back" by Jon Allen. The additional phases are great and remind me of "The Trick Question" by the legend that was Daryl. Gregory Wilson has a similar approach that he calls "Weighted Aces".

Marty
dj
View Profile
Inner circle
1190 Posts

Profile of dj
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2023, martydoesmagic wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 6, 2023, dj wrote:

Hey DJ,

That's a very cool handling of "Double Back" by Jon Allen. The additional phases are great and remind me of "The Trick Question" by the legend that was Daryl. Gregory Wilson has a similar approach that he calls "Weighted Aces".

Marty

Yes, that's a Dr.Daley's Last Trick/Double Back combination.
senior magician
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of senior magician
Stand up monte is the greatest of all times, try it and you will see.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4196 Posts

Profile of warren
I performed John Bannon's Spin Doctor for my girlfriends family whilst we were out having a meal and it blew them away so that's another one that get's my recommendation Smile
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7576 Posts

Profile of RNK
Picturesque is phenomenal! The impact and reactions woth the audience is just fantastic.
Check out Bafflingbob.com
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4389 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
IMO, Michigan Monte, very similar to Virginia city shuffle. I love it because there is no gimmick. It uses a blank face card and three Aces.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3531 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Quote:
On Jul 15, 2023, senior magician wrote:
Stand up monte is the greatest of all times, try it and you will see.

Yes, it is a great trick. An even greater trick is to remember the phases after not performing it for awhile.
Ampa
View Profile
New user
A Cellar Vault in Berlin
63 Posts

Profile of Ampa
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2023, Phil J. wrote:
I’ve probably posted this before but this thread has been going so long I can’t remember! Lol

My three favourites:

Royal Scam by John Bannon

Rainbow Cascade by Terri Rogers (original version by Roy Walton)

Guessing Game by David Britland

No need to apologize, I guess. Royal Scam is a really nice routine which has to be mentioned at least twice or a third time maybe ? lol. It is one of my favorites too.

My top 3 list:

"Royal Scam" - John Bannon
"Presto Printo" - Daryl
"Bicycle? Built For Five" - Ton Onosaka <- EDIT: Can't get rid of this question mark for some reason. Just ignore it Smile