The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Deckless! :: Best packet trick of all time (59 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..9..12..15..18..21..24~25~26 [Next]
55john55
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of 55john55
This may belong in another forum but will include it here because it came up in one of the posts here. The word "best" by definition means there can be only one. However, I suggest that there are two meanings of the word best. So, I'll tell a short story. When I was young I wondered who the best baseball player was. When I grew up I had Willie Mays, Mickey Mantle, and Hank Aaron among others to choose from and found it impossible to decide. Eventually I decided there was another definition to "best". It means that in any area there are a few who stand out so far above the rest that we call them "the best", and although there are very few, there are, in fact, more than one. Galileo, Newton, Einstein, were the all the best in the the area of science. Mozart, and Michael Jordon were the best in their respective areas even though there are a few others who were also "the best" in the same areas.
So twisted sisters can be the "best" , but so can a number of others. They stand head and shoulders above the rest.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
No disagreement that sometimes "best" is plural, like "what are the best restaurants in Chicago". But, the OP was clear in asking what you thought was THE best...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
marlyd
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of marlyd
Hi all,

What about Marked for Life by John Cornelius I have a feeling it's going to be a classic.
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1771 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Here's a quote from Dean Dill:

"Double Back is my favorite packet trick of all time"

You can check it out for yourself here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUn7PPBb0tE
Creator of iconic magic that you will want to perform.
The Silent Treatment, The Pain Game, Paragon 3D, Double Back, Destination Box and more.
Available at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
Senseless gibberish that amounts to
2621 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
Hey guys,

What about Daryl's "Cardboard Chameleons"? I've been doing this one for about fifteen years.

Never fails to charm the leity.

Jorey
"I've always been mental, I'm sure of it" Boris Pocus Smile

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
My current favourite is “Twilight Angels.”

B’Wave, as mentioned, kills.
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
zipper
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of zipper
This is an interesting thread, and I find all the comments both enjoyable and valuable. I am not familiar with the all the packet tricks out and about, nor am I even familiar with all the packet tricks referred to on this post. Two of the aformentioned tricks, however, are go-to tricks for me, the wild card and dirty deal. I am familiar with the effects of many of the packet tricks mentioned although I don't do them myself (e.g., B'wave; Twilight Angels; Double Back). I have trouble convincing myself that any packet tricks are on par with Dirty Deal or Wild Card. Packet tricks where, for example, cards switch places, or those in which a mentally chosen card is magically produced, are less baffling than amusing. What makes wild card so impressive and convincing, despite the fact that it can be monotonous, is that the cards are seemingly shown in a fair and open way and they are then all changed to cards of a different suit and value. Watch the reaction of Wonder's audience to his wild card, certainly not as technically challening as Vallarino's, and you will see the jaws drop. I can't imagine receiving the same reaction from other packet tricks on the market (e.g., color monte, B'wave, NFW, double back). The attraction of dirty deal, to me, is even greater than wild card. Dirty Deal has a nice patter (about being a gambling man), shows several mini-climaxes (cards change color several times), and then, when the trick seems to be over, it has a major climax, one that is dramatic and inexplicable. None of the other packet tricks that I have done over the years even come close. My two cents worth.

Zipper

P.S. I do have one other packet trick that I bought from a Cincinnati dealer long ago for $1.00 (marked down from $3.00). It's name was something circus cards. Performer has ace through 4 and magically reverses each card one at a time (along the lines of each card doing a circus trick, comparable to rotating the aces). The final climax comes when all four cards change to being different colors (e.g., 4 is red, 3 is yellow, etc.). It got incredible reactions for the reasons mentioned: It has a nice story, several mini-climaxes, and one major climax, making the trick dramatic and totally inexplicable, which makes it memorable to audiences. It was also fun to do.
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Quote:
On 2010-12-09 13:24, zipper wrote:
This is an interesting thread, and I find all the comments both enjoyable and valuable. I am not familiar with the all the packet tricks out and about, nor am I even familiar with all the packet tricks referred to on this post. Two of the aformentioned tricks, however, are go-to tricks for me, the wild card and dirty deal. I am familiar with the effects of many of the packet tricks mentioned although I don't do them myself (e.g., B'wave; Twilight Angels; Double Back). I have trouble convincing myself that any packet tricks are on par with Dirty Deal or Wild Card. Packet tricks where, for example, cards switch places, or those in which a mentally chosen card is magically produced, are less baffling than amusing. What makes wild card so impressive and convincing, despite the fact that it can be monotonous, is that the cards are seemingly shown in a fair and open way and they are then all changed to cards of a different suit and value. Watch the reaction of Wonder's audience to his wild card, certainly not as technically challening as Vallarino's, and you will see the jaws drop. I can't imagine receiving the same reaction from other packet tricks on the market (e.g., color monte, B'wave, NFW, double back). The attraction of dirty deal, to me, is even greater than wild card. Dirty Deal has a nice patter (about being a gambling man), shows several mini-climaxes (cards change color several times), and then, when the trick seems to be over, it has a major climax, one that is dramatic and inexplicable. None of the other packet tricks that I have done over the years even come close. My two cents worth.

Zipper

P.S. I do have one other packet trick that I bought from a Cincinnati dealer long ago for $1.00 (marked down from $3.00). It's name was something circus cards. Performer has ace through 4 and magically reverses each card one at a time (along the lines of each card doing a circus trick, comparable to rotating the aces). The final climax comes when all four cards change to being different colors (e.g., 4 is red, 3 is yellow, etc.). It got incredible reactions for the reasons mentioned: It has a nice story, several mini-climaxes, and one major climax, making the trick dramatic and totally inexplicable, which makes it memorable to audiences. It was also fun to do.

Tommy Wonder was great, but the audience reaction you are seeing is regrettably from a “canned” crowd.

That identical audience recurs in many videos made by the same manufacturer and they were/are either paid or otherwise encouraged to overreact.

Too bad, because Mr. Wonder was a genius who didn’t need pre-ordained reactions.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10963 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
I use Jons double back with my business cards and I agree with dean .
I also said it was the best trick of the year when it first came out
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
zipper
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of zipper
Panlives,

Wow, color me naive. Thanks for the heads-up on what the deal was with Wonder's audience. I expect this kind of stuff on the shopping channel but hoped magic was free from it. I guess not. As you said, it's a shame because it is unnecessary with this particular performer and trick.

Zipper
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1591 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
NFW is my favorite packet trick, although I am relooking at my presto printo as of late.

Patrick
zipper
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of zipper
Magic Folks,

Two things from me. First, I just checked, and the packet trick to which I referred in my earlier post is named Pasteboard Circus by Master Magic. It was a pleasant surprise and a great packet trick due to its patter line, method of operation, and dramatic effect at least to lay audiences). Also, it was hard to beat the price. Second, I've been working with NFW (principally due to the rave reviews some of you have given it), and I just don't get all the accolades. Practically everything about it strikes me as clumsy (though I am willing to admit that I may be the one at fault and not the trick). It is not the overall effect that bothers me: The manipulation of 4 cards with their eventual transformation into something else is both common and impressive. It is how the effect is achieved with this set of cards. I don't see how you can hide the gimmick on a face-up card(if it can be called that), keeping it in plain sight, as you are instructed to do in the directions. The count in which you are supposed to show four jokers individually also seems ill-advised. What spectator other than the visually challenged is going to believe that one card has been kicked into the hand when it's really four?. I guess if you have spectators who are willing to believe that four jokers have been counted instead of two, they will also believe that four jokers have changed into four aces. I'm sure that NFW works for those of you who use it, but I can't imagine that it would be selected as the "best" with all the problems that I have found with it (or better than all the other packet tricks that are availabel to us). If you want to show audiences that you have the ability to change cards magically, why not do the mental photography deck and show them that you can print and unprint an entire deck in a heartbeat? (I'm not even going to comment on the requirement in NFW of counting smoothly and convincingly when the "gimmick" can easily do something with an adjacent card that it is not supposed to do, ruining the illusion from the get-go.)

Maybe instead of voting on the "best" packet trick, we should try to reach some agreement on what makes a packet trick (or any other trick) good or bad (or at least why experienced magicians would disagree so much on which ones to define as best or worst).

Zipper
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1591 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
Zipper,

Great points. However, I have no problems with NFW as you stated in your last comment. I will explain. Instead of the Gimmick, I use Zig 2 way glue and is is transparent to the spectators eyes. I sometimes have to touch it to make sure it is still on. I start off by saying that I have 4 Jokers. I don't say all face up. I just say 4 jokers. I then tell them before I do any counts that one is the leader and the others will follow. Then I do the count. The one face down I call attention to and say that it is the leader. I then do another count and there are 2 face down. I then tell them that one followed. Then I count them off to show 2 up and 2 down. I then take the bottom card and turn it over non magicaly activating the gimmick and then as I spread out the cards I explain that they all have turn upside down. I then tell them that they all left and now all I have is four 5's. I always get great reactions. It is a killer packet routine. I do like many others like color monty, stand up monty, visible monty, Wild cards, Duplicity and the list goes on but they all have their problems and limitations. It really comes down to personal preference on this one. Which is it that you prefer. That is the best to you.

Patrick
zipper
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of zipper
Patrick,

Thanks for the information on NFW. I will get some Zig 2 and give the trick another chance, following your sage counsel. I may like it better without having to worry about the gimmick. I still can't imagine, however, that it will have the impact that Dirty Deal does.

Magical things,
Zipper
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2505 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
Ambitious classic, Twisting the Aces and Daley's last trick are most used by me so they are "my best".
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1591 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
Zipper,

You may be right. It all depends on the audience you are performing for. I remember I got a trick called in a flash and thought that it was the end all be all and performed it at a dinner party for older people and it flopped. Then recently I performed it at a movie theater and everyone liked it. There are so many awesome effects out there and one shouldn't be better than another but it is all about who is performing it and to whom they are performing it.

MichielTummers said it perfect above.

Good luck Zipper.

Patrick
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Quote:
On 2010-12-04 09:23, Jon Allen wrote:
Here's a quote from Dean Dill:

"Double Back is my favorite packet trick of all time"

You can check it out for yourself here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUn7PPBb0tE

Jon - was that you performing it? A spooky coincidence - but Claire (one of your spectators) is a colleague from my office. I could hardly believe it when I saw the clip!
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Quote:
On 2010-12-09 15:28, zipper wrote:
Panlives,

Wow, color me naive. Thanks for the heads-up on what the deal was with Wonder's audience. I expect this kind of stuff on the shopping channel but hoped magic was free from it. I guess not. As you said, it's a shame because it is unnecessary with this particular performer and trick.

Zipper

Hyperbole and Magic advertising...a long and sordid history that has stung many a newcomer and veteran alike.

Please do not feel naive. Deceptive marketing continues to get grift from even the most experienced Magis.
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1771 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Hi Roger. Yes, that is me. Now I feel compelled to say that no stooges were used during the filming of this trailer Smile She is also on the trailer for Flexion. Ask her if she still has the bent key.
Creator of iconic magic that you will want to perform.
The Silent Treatment, The Pain Game, Paragon 3D, Double Back, Destination Box and more.
Available at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
voh002
View Profile
Special user
547 Posts

Profile of voh002
Twisted Sisters - John Bannon