The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tricks & Effects :: ParaPad from Paralabs (37 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
ParaLabs - Thomas
View Profile
Special user
913 Posts

Profile of ParaLabs - Thomas
Thank you! Smile

Th.
stanleyfehder
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of stanleyfehder
I have not reeceived a reply about the parapad "bleed through problem"!
juliusmagic
View Profile
New user
Jacksonville
25 Posts

Profile of juliusmagic
Whats the difference between parapad and beatiful butterfly?
ParaLabs - Thomas
View Profile
Special user
913 Posts

Profile of ParaLabs - Thomas
Quote:
On 2012-05-26 21:50, stanleyfehder wrote:
I have not reeceived a reply about the parapad "bleed through problem"!

You should, ... Smile

Quote:
On 2012-06-04 16:22, juliusmagic wrote:
Whats the difference between parapad and beatiful butterfly?

Let's see:
  • different dimensions
  • different design
  • different paper
  • different binding
  • different 'gimmick'
  • different handling

Did I forget anything, ... Smile

John's Butterfly is a great device and I would never purport the ParaPad to be 'better'.
It's simply different in many ways - that's why we created it.

Whether you prefer the one or the other is basically a matter of personal preferences from my point of view.

Cheers
Th.
Jon W.
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of Jon W.
I also recommend the ParaPad. Works brilliantly and easily. As others have said, the customer support is wonderful. I have had a couple questions before and after my order and the questions were always answered quickly, kindly, and with detail.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Thomas seems to have almost infinite patience, and frankly - I have no idea how he manages it...

the PL material, all of it - is top notch...
I've asked to be banned
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
I have a brand new one for sale £35 includes shipping . Paypal to lawrencebuilding@btinternet.com
MAL
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of MAL
Parapad Sold!
Jupiter47
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of Jupiter47
For that price, I'm not surprised!

I have had Parapad for a year now and really love it, I think it's very clever. I spent ages when I first got it looking for the gimmick and it ended up that I was looking in the wrong pad!

Does anyone know of any good resources for uses for the impression pad? I'd like to read on some other ideas than my own

Scott
Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2044 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
I've carried my ParaPad in my breast pocket for over a year and it still works great. The laminate on the covers was coming up a bit on the corners and a generous friend sent me a new pad even though the old one still works perfectly. The new pad has super thin covers without any laminate that might otherwise peel up over time, not to mention the improved function resulting from thinner covers. Also, the new marker makes a thinner line, transmitting a crisper detailed image. I don't know when these slight product changes took place as I bought my first pad early on. I'm pleased that my main go-to pad is better than ever.

Thomas and Ranier continue to impress with the products they offer our community. In this "hat-backwards street-kid" age of "design it quickly, make it cheaply, create a buzz, sell thousands", these gentlemen raise the standard with, "design it carefully, use the best materials, let the quality speak for itself, sell to discerning performers". It's been awhile since I heard anyone discuss how good this thing is, maybe because by now it's common knowledge. Hats off to the guys who produce with high standards. We need more of that.

Mike
The secret of deception is in making the truth seem ridiculous.
maps
View Profile
Inner circle
1124 Posts

Profile of maps
I can't access the paralabs website.Can someone help me with a pm please.I am looking to buy something there.
Any help will be appreciated.Thanks
the heart is where the magic begins
Visit my website
[www.mascotsandpuppets.com]
Nicholas young
View Profile
Regular user
Belgium
114 Posts

Profile of Nicholas young
I received my parapad. Overal I agree with most comments that it is a nice pad and would recommend it. However I plan to make an adjustment to suite my personal preference. The pad has been made so that you are very easily able to access the info, the downside to this is that it is also very easy for the spectator (maybe even mistakingly) to see something they should not. IMO it should be more difficult for the spectator, yet still allowing access for the magician without fumbling. This could perhaps be done by reversing the sv****li principle. I will try it out.

N
BlackSalt
View Profile
New user
Canada
76 Posts

Profile of BlackSalt
We have now used our Parapad in 250 performances; audience sizes of 50 to 1200. The volunteers have never exposed the gimmick or caught our peek. We purchased the Stabilo marker not the Sharpie; the version which resets the pad. Funny thing … no one has ever said, “Hey, that’s NOT a Sharpie!” This product is easy to work with; organic and as an invisible prop should be. Refill is a cinch.
Michael BlackSalt
A Vacation For The Mind!
www.blacksalt.ca
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Quote:
On 2012-11-08 16:34, Nicholas young wrote:
This could perhaps be done by reversing the sv****li principle. I will try it out.

It will. Others have done so before.
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
drigerbest
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of drigerbest
How do I buy this?
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1121 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
http://www.tannens.com is where I got mine. Scroll down just a bit and you'll see the ParaPads ad.
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3353 Posts

Profile of Looch
Thomas & Rainer have just released some new size parapads, A4,A5 & US letter size variants! They now cater for us all! I was lucky enough to test the A4 pad here in the UK and can say hand on heart it works flawlessly

I've been given some discount codes that save people €12 on their orders. Each code works once so it's a case of first come first served! The codes will only work with the new size pads...be quick!

http://www.paralabs.org/basket

9IH7BDYTUM
4N4JEPFVUJ
89V8ALBVLZ
PH5I6MGMA8
S5YILSS38G
MFDX8S5F5X
WA2T3K1485
XNKQRDMH6C
SQJH18KDG7
LNZ5O71HRE
Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/ Learn Mentalism with the Pro's: https://www.mymind.rocks
boydy
View Profile
Special user
Ayrshire, Scotland
881 Posts

Profile of boydy
I have mine brand new for sale normal note book size £40

PM me if interested
Brainbu$ter
View Profile
Veteran user
Indianapolis, IN
326 Posts

Profile of Brainbu$ter
Quote:
On Jun 4, 2012, ParaLabs - Thomas wrote:

John's Butterfly is a great device and I would never purport the ParaPad to be 'better'.
It's simply different in many ways - that's why we created it.

Whether you prefer the one or the other is basically a matter of personal preferences from my point of view.

Cheers
Th.

I love John Riggs, but IMO the Parapad is much better than the Butterfly (I have the small memo pad Butterfly),
but I would encourage anyone to purcase John Rigg's Butterfly Intensive video
which goes into great detail on how to use impression devices.

The reasons for my preference are these:

1. The Parapad requires no pressure. The spectator can have a dainty hand when writing,
whereas the Butterfly requires a heavy hand (the only remedy I can think of is
using a writing instrument which forces the spectator to press firmly, like a pencil,
rather than a smooth gel-ink pen).

2. Riggs says in the Butterfly Intensive video that many people have said that
his imp devices won't work with sharpies..."but they do!" In my experience,
a marker doesn't leave any imPRESSion on the Butterfly.
But a marker does leave its mark on the Parapad.

3. Because a marker is used, any spectator who might be familiar with carbon paper or
similar imp devices, or have read in detective stories about rubbing pencil shavings on the next sheet,
will rule this method out (I figure).

4. The imp is clearer and a bit crisper than the Butterfly. In my (limited) experience,
the Butterfly left a skippy, blurry, low-contrast imp...in the best case. The Parapad
leaves a reliable, crisp (but bold...spec still can't write small) imp.

5. I just now tested this, just as I finished typing reason 4.
You won't believe this! I just played around with this, and wrote "TEST"
in big letters through 21 pages (on top of the front and back cover).
That's 21 paper pages, + the 2 covers of the pad. The imp is not good enough
for performance use, but you CAN read it (barely) in good lighting.
Then I drew a smiley face through 10 pages, + front and back cover.
Thru 10 pages, the imp is as clear as the Butterfly's imp through 1 page
(which is not clear enough for performance, IMO).
Nuff said.

-

In fairness, I should include some reasons why the Butterfly is better than the Parapad:

1. You can borrow any writing instrument from the spectator (except a marker).
Borrow a pencil, pen, or crayon.

2. The Butterfly's appearance is more familiar and ordinary.
It's a Staples memo pad.

3. If you're outside at a Starbucks, where the tables are pure metal,
your Parapad marker will stick to the table (I tried using my Templar
at Starbucks...it was funny trying to lift my necklace off the table).

4. It's difficult for the spectator to fiddle with the Butterfly
and reveal the mechanism; whereas with the Parapad, it would be extremely
easy for the spec to just try to close that pad and in that motion,
open right to the mechanism.
direwolf
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of direwolf
I also prefer the parapad. As for #2 in the post above, I picked up a pack of 3 3x5 pads at a local job lot store for $2 that had plastic covers. It is very easy to replace the covers in a few seconds. The speed pen works even better through these thin plastic covers. I am site you could just as easily replace it with Staples covers, but have not tried that.