The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tricks & Effects :: ParaPad from Paralabs (37 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
oralroberts
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
930 Posts

Profile of oralroberts
Great customer service from these guys. dito.
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4326 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Paralabs offers two different types of markers: a "European" marker and a Sharpie. It is my understanding from Mr. Heine that the regular, non-Sharpie is better for several reasons. If that is the case, does it matter if one performs this in the States (USA) with the non-Sharpie or is it better to use the Sharpie version in teh States since everyone is familiar with the Sharpie brand even though it may not be as good as the other marker?

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
ParaLabs - Thomas
View Profile
Special user
913 Posts

Profile of ParaLabs - Thomas
Michael,

I know the problem from the opposed perspective:
We used our test Sharpies for a long time in Germany although nobody knows this brand here.
You know what? Nobody cares if you don't care in practice!

It is of benefit to use common and familar material as a matter of course.
But as long as the alternative looks natural, unsuspicious and you use it this way, nobody cares.
It's a marker after all and it looks like this.

Now I don't know whether spectators or participants in the States are different to handle - but for me the use of an unfamiliar brand was never an issue.

Best
Th.
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4326 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Mr. Heine,

Thank you very much for your comments and opinion. You were very helpful. I will be placing my order later today.

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4201 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Since a few days now I own the ParaPad (the smaller edition which I prefer) and I've to say that it is indeed by far the best product (using this technique) I ever had in my hands. I do know and have and tried a lot, if not all on the market.
This is for several reasons: The used materials are the best you can get, it is extremely easy to replace paper, the very clever design of the pad allows a very natural handling. The impression you get is very clear, there is no risk that
the spectator will discover anything (provided a correct handling of course).
Therefore I've to give it my highest recommendation. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
baggins321
View Profile
Loyal user
United States
223 Posts

Profile of baggins321
How does this stack up against psypher?
Jupiter47
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of Jupiter47
The general comments are that it is much better Smile
ParaLabs - Thomas
View Profile
Special user
913 Posts

Dear baggins321,

I hope that you appreciate that we don't feel comfortable in drawing comparsions to the products of competitors in public.
But if you read the product descriptions of both as well as some technical comments you will notice a few differences anyway.
Whether those differences mean, that the one or the other product would suit you more, is up to your own preferences.

Best
Th.
oly92
View Profile
New user
Paris (FRANCE)
84 Posts

Profile of oly92
Thomas,
what is the brand of the european marker?

Olivier
ParaLabs - Thomas
View Profile
Special user
913 Posts

Hi Oliver,

there are two brands that work best from our experience.

One is also available in the States - STAPLES!
The other one is STABILO.

Best
Th.
AlluTallu
View Profile
Veteran user
Finland
394 Posts

Profile of AlluTallu
I also received my ParaPad about a week ago This is hands down the best close up Impression Device that I have ever used! And I have used many (Butterfly, Skeeter, Tommy Pad, Sniper Pad... And the list goes on)!

The impression is very clear and easy to read. No mirror images, very reliable and the "hot" area covers the whole pad so no need for guiding where to write! Only Riggs' devices can beat ParaPad considering impressions.
9/10

The peek is perfect and requires you to make only 100% justified actions: You just very naturally close the pad and that's it. ParaPad has by far the easiest and most deceptive peek I have ever seen in an ID.
10/10

The special binding was one of the biggest selling points for me. Refilling the pad takes no more than five seconds The binding also makes the pad more durable and easier to handle. No other Impression Pad comes even close as far as binding is concerned.
10/10

ParaPad is beautiful. It's elegant. And it looks completely innocent. The size is also perfect - at least for me .
10/10

The only "weakness" of the ParaPad I can think of is the way the gimmick is hidden and secured. I don't consider the pad very examinable and I would prefer magnetic securing (Like Riggs' Butterfly) over the ParaPad solution. However, with decent audience management nobody is going to have a chance to find the secret so this is not a very big issue .
7/10

ParaLabs' customer service is top notch. And yes, I have done business with Craig from ProMystic so I can assure you that my standards are very high
10/10

ParaPad gets my highest recommendations!
9.5/10

With best regards,

Aleksi Hietanen
vincent van dark
View Profile
New user
Germany
3 Posts

Profile of vincent van dark
Quote:
On 2010-08-28 06:47, AlluTallu wrote:
... The only "weakness" of the ParaPad I can think of is the way the gimmick is hidden and secured. I don't consider the pad very examinable ...
Aleksi Hietanen

Why you want to have the Pad examined? I see no reason for it. A Pad is a pad and that's it.
Greetings from
Vincent van Dark
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4201 Posts

Profile of JanForster
So true, and so nice to see more and more knowledgeable friends joining the café... Smile Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
ParaLabs - Thomas
View Profile
Special user
913 Posts

Hi, Smile

as I wrote in another thread, it's a fundamental decision to either set priorities on ...

a) not being able to find the gimmick during an examination by the audience
or
b) being able to get a peek of the gimmick in real time as easy and natural as possible, with all artlessness and unsuspiciousness of the peek situation that we can achieve.

The "Ultimate Truth" is somewhere in the middle fo a) and b) obviously - but it's a matter of setting personal priorities anyway.
Of cause one can set the priorities in a different way.
But as I said: Our pad was the result of our experiences and our necessities.

So it was not our way to abandon the naturality and plainness of the handling to achieve a 'security' that is not needed in our real life performances!
And giving the pad to an examination isn't part of our practice anyway!

Cheers
Th.
vincent van dark
View Profile
New user
Germany
3 Posts

Profile of vincent van dark
Givin' props away for an examination is a typical magicians thing.
Mentalists are no magicians.

@AlluTallu: Would you give a booktest-book for examination? "Here's an ordinary book ..." I guess not, or will you? Smile

Greetings from
Vincent van Dark
jglumley
View Profile
Loyal user
Kansas City
244 Posts

Profile of jglumley
Is posting a link to the "secret area" suppose to be funny?
The "18"
ParaLabs - Thomas
View Profile
Special user
913 Posts

Sorry, jgturpin, I cannot follow your remark.
This is obviously because of my limits in the English language. Smile

So anyway - send me a PM with your concerns and we'll find a way to help you for sure.

Best
Th.
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1937 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
I have found this to be the Rolls Royce of imp pads.
I was initially struck by the excellent service of this company. It took very little time and usage to realize that their product is as good as their service.
I think that I have tried every device out there. I know that I have tried most. I have stage favorites, parlor favorites and close-up favorites.
While, for personal reasons, I would never use this on stage, it is perfect for close-up. That is not to say that others would not have a use for it on stage.
Riggs seems to me to be the end all, do all for close up. But the ParaPad fits a niche for me that makes for a totally perfect, invisible knowledge of the written info.
My personal situation (near blindness and amputated right hand) makes for situations that are more "demanding" than some other people.
The way that the ParaPad is implemented is a joy to behold.
In some ways, it is to me, reminiscent of The Beautiful Butterfly. I do think that the Butterfly is more examinable, but I have never wanted or needed to have someone "examine" my imp devises. I would humbly argue that anyone having a need to have their mentalism equipment examined might be looking for trouble.
I use peek wallets. There is no way you are going to get to examine my wallet. I use stage imp devises. No way you are going to examine them, either.
I guess the best way I can recommend the ParaPad is to just say BUY IT. You will not be disappointed. But in the extreme circumstance that you are, you will be able to sell it for almost as much as you paid for it.
I see this device as being around for a good long while.
Peace,
Parson
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2044 Posts

Profile of aligator
I agree. Before now, I didn't use imps much as I figured most specs were on to them even if not knowing exactly how they worked. Parapad has made me a believer, however. It is so innocent looking and so effectively efficient that I was using it only minutes after receipt and continue to use it on a regular basis. Anyone in want or need of such a device should not hesitate to pony up the extra $$ and purchase the best.
ParaLabs - Thomas
View Profile
Special user
913 Posts

Thanks for your appreciation guys! Smile

Have fun
Th.