The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: MAGIC - The Magazine For Magicians :: 1970's Magic Magazine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
BustedFinger
View Profile
New user
Virginia
66 Posts

Profile of BustedFinger
I know that this forum area is for talking about MAGIC (the magazine) but I am trying to find out some information about a magic magazine that came out in the mid-70's that was titled "The Magic Magazine". Here is a link to an eBay auction for one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Magic-Magazine-1976-......agazines

I remember avidly reading this when I was a kid around 11-12 years old. I was just wondering if anyone here at the Café knows anything about how long this magazine was published, how many issues, etc. Based on the volume number of the one listed in the above auction, I guess the magazine was first published around January 1974?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
Busted Finger… You brought back some memories; I believe that it ran for 4 years. I have all the issues stashed away in a box somewhere (to many moves). Someone correct me if I am wrong.

The first issues production wise were the best… cardboard cover, gloss paper, better layout and such; the later issues were a mess… cheap paper and it appeared they were starving for articles, they would print anything. I got a kick how people would send in routines and tricks from Tarbell and claim them as their own. Also the later issues had some very funky artwork.

Thanks,
Bruce
BustedFinger
View Profile
New user
Virginia
66 Posts

Profile of BustedFinger
Bruce - I appreciate the response. If you ever do happen to dig those magazines out, I would be interested in trying to catalog the dates and issues. I only read the magazine in its early stages. I distinctly remember the first issue I bought from the newsstand. It was the issue with The Amazing Randi on the cover in a straight jacket.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Looking at the image I saw the work Centerfold splashed on the cover. I wonder if the centerfold was the rather hot assistant on the cover? Smile

Ahimsa,
Vlad
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
I have a ton of these from my dad. Don't know how many exactly, but a good bit, along with a bunch of old linking ring mags from the same time.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
BustedFinger
View Profile
New user
Virginia
66 Posts

Profile of BustedFinger
Here is an issue dated November 1979:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Magic-Magazine-Novem......agazines

I think this is the latest issue I have ever seen of this magazine. It does appear that they changed to a bi-monthly format near the end.

Again, if anyone can help me document the number of issues and dates I would appreciate it!
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
Maybe I can find them this weekend... into the crawlspace I go.

Bruce
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
Busted Finger… I had no luck finding the magazines… sorry. I will keep an eye out as I root through stuff. There have been too many moves and unmarked boxes.

Bruce
BustedFinger
View Profile
New user
Virginia
66 Posts

Profile of BustedFinger
Bruce - Thanks for looking. If you ever do run across them, let me know.

Loren
Steve Knight
View Profile
Elite user
Oxford U.K.
479 Posts

Profile of Steve Knight
I don't know if this helps but I came across this page which lists a few copies:

http://searcholdmagazines.com/index.php?......itle=810

A thread on the Genii forum suggests it was published by Byron G. Wels.

http://www.geniimagazine.com/forums/ubbt......er=91330
BustedFinger
View Profile
New user
Virginia
66 Posts

Profile of BustedFinger
Steve - Thanks for the links.
DavidKMagic
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of DavidKMagic
BustedFinger,

I have between 15 to 20 of these magazines. The first one is December 1974.
The last one I have is the December 1976/January 1977 issue when they started bi-monthly. The first ones I bought I wrapped in plastic after I read them. The others are in great condition for being 35 years old.
The issue on ebay at this link....... http://cgi.ebay.com/Magic-Magazine-Novem......agazines is from 1976 though the
ad says otherwise. I don't believe they made it out of 1977

David K
Mundus Vult Decipi, Ergo Decipiatur
BustedFinger
View Profile
New user
Virginia
66 Posts

Profile of BustedFinger
David - Do you know what issue number the Dec '74 issue is? (Vol ?, No ?). Thanks for pointing out that the one in the eBay auction is actually from 1976. I didn't look close enough at it before!
magictvlv1
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of magictvlv1
I remember reading about Copperfield for the first time in the mgazine, and Dorothy Dietrich. I know at one point they had a big fire in the office
pradell
View Profile
Special user
Alaska
560 Posts

Profile of pradell
There were at least 27 of these magazines printed in the 1970s:

http://www.martinka.com/martinka/auction......?id=9191

:magicrabbit:
Denis Bastible
View Profile
Loyal user
Buffalo, New York
293 Posts

Profile of Denis Bastible
Most issues had a scantily clad assistant prominently placed on the cover. They were put out by Joseph Cardwell or Kardwell. I accidentally through out my old collection when emptying my father's house
Denis Bastible
View Profile
Loyal user
Buffalo, New York
293 Posts

Profile of Denis Bastible
I meant threw. I am now through.
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1715 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
I believe they all had a Mark Wilson ad on the back.

Dan.
Steve Landavazo
View Profile
Special user
Northern California
654 Posts

Profile of Steve Landavazo
This is really cool! I remember the magazine, too! Thanks for the flash-back guys! Smile
Courage is the willingness to be afraid and act anyway!
cheeky
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of cheeky
I hope I had these!