The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Right or Wrong? :: James Biss... (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
David Alexander
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of David Alexander
It's one thing to educate people on the psychology and general principles of fake psychics, but other than the spoon bending most of what Biss needlessly exposed came out of the repertoires of working mentalists, not phony psychics.

Biss seems desperate to be seen as an "authority" and an "expert" to people who think they are “in the know.” They aren’t as Biss isn’t exposing anything that phony psychics use. Thus we have Biss, claiming to expose "psychic cons" is himself conning the skeptics who don’t know any better. This presentation served no purpose except to push the undeserving "career" of Biss.
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4186 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Wonder if purchasers of his item could launch a lawsuit...
xxx
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
Quote:
On 2010-04-05 11:05, Dr. Eamon wrote:
This should not be on YouTube!

James Biss should do everything to take it from YouTube a.s.a.p.
(James I know you read this…)

Honestly, I don't think he cares.

I just looked him up, and he seems to be all over YouTube more or less exposing every principle of the trade.
One thing is what he does for the gathering in the links above,that's serious enough, another thing is a number of clips recorded in some kind of a club or café.
(I opened just a couple of them.)

I don't know what motivation he has for doing this.
-Except for being out of his mind, and for the money of course.
David Alexander
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

A tactic I suggested back in the bad old days of the Masked Magician was that every performer in the US who owned a Zig Zag file a small claims case in their jurisdiction against Fox and the production company for the value of their presumably now-useless prop.

It would have been easy enough to arrange by Internet for everyone to file on the same day.

Had this happened it would have required Fox to respond to hundreds of locally-filed suits costing them time and money. It was unlikely that plaintiffs would win but it would require Fox to defend itself in dozens if not hundreds of small claims jurisdictions. It is possible it would have made Fox think twice about going forward with the next MM special.

No one followed my suggestion but plenty of magicians publicly whined and complained, which gave Fox and the MM reams of free publicity.
Dr. Eamon
View Profile
Inner circle
------------John Dream------------If you can Dream it, you can Do it!
1317 Posts

Profile of Dr. Eamon
Quote:
On 2010-04-05 10:38, JanForster wrote:
I didn't expect that. Disgusting. But we've seen in the past always people explaining in public things they didn't invent. They are simply poor thieves. Unfortunately thieves can't explain what they invented as they are too simple minded to invent anything. Jan

Maybe I´m a old fashion but I feel a little pain every time I see mentalism been revealed on YouTube or TV and unfortunately this happens more and more.
Presentation is everything!

If you can Dream it, you can Do it!

The eXtreme SVENPAD Supreme eBook
r1z08
View Profile
Inner circle
1158 Posts

Profile of r1z08
Quote:
Maybe I´m a old fashion but I feel a little pain every time I see mentalism been revealed on YouTube or TV and unfortunately this happens more and more.

You're not old fashion. That pain you feel tells you that you're one of the few that actually cares about this art.

-rob
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1636 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
I'm reminded of the page in "Greater Magic" for hanging exposers in effigy.

This presentation served no useful purpose. It appears to have been posted by the group he was lecturing. I doubt they have any interest in removing them.
Dr. Eamon
View Profile
Inner circle
------------John Dream------------If you can Dream it, you can Do it!
1317 Posts

Profile of Dr. Eamon
This happens more and more these days especially in the Netherlands:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=15#0

Not funny...
Presentation is everything!

If you can Dream it, you can Do it!

The eXtreme SVENPAD Supreme eBook
Tony Razzano
View Profile
Inner circle
South River, NJ
1600 Posts

Profile of Tony Razzano
I lost respect for Biss several years ago when he stole items for his first book. He also revealed methods, not his own, in his first book.

As Sven pointed out, Biss doesn't care. He loves the controversy and enjoys spitting in our collective eye.

I have always dissuaded people from dealing with him.
Best regards,
<BR>Tony Razzano, Past President, PEA
Winner of the PEA"s Bascom Jones and Bob Haines Awards
David Alexander
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

We should take heart in that the counter that indicates how many times the video has been clicked on reports that they've been looked at 167 times. That's probably double the number of people who were in his audience and doesn't indicate how many people watched Biss' "mind numbing" mentalism all the way through.

As there's nothing we can do to stop him as he clearly doesn't care what the community thinks, he should be ignored. That means people should not buy his products, his books, or pay any attention to him at all. Getting upset will only raise out collective blood pressure and frustrate us as there's nothing we can do except ignore him and not support his work.
Domino Magic
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Domino Magic
So where are the Biss supporters now? C'mon guys, you were quick to defend him when many of us spoke up about his stealing of other performer's material for his books. You all bragged about how wonderful James was, even thanking him for releasing the material. What say you?
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Quote:
On 2010-04-05 12:31, Domino Magic wrote:
So where are the Biss supporters now? C'mon guys, you were quick to defend him when many of us spoke up about his stealing of other performer's material for his books. You all bragged about how wonderful James was, even thanking him for releasing the material. What say you?

They're not around anymore. They all drank his Kool-Aid.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
dmoses
View Profile
Inner circle
2261 Posts

Profile of dmoses
Quote:
On 2010-04-05 12:31, Domino Magic wrote:

I don't know about "supporter" but I have several of his works and products and use them on regular basis.
I'm certainly not happy about these videos being posted... particularly about the workings of his own products... nor could I think of any performer who would.

And I think if the original poster geniunely cared about exposure he'd edit his post and have the link to the videos removed.
"You're a comedian. You wanna do mankind a service, tell funnier jokes."
TPR by Dave Moses and Iain Dunford
T-shirts for Magicians and Mentalists
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Quote:
And I think if the original poster genuinely cared about exposure he'd edit his post and have the link to the videos removed.

I think it should stay so you can all see what a sleazebag he really is. The traffic here at least have an interest in magic.

There really isn't much Biss can claim as his "own".
Domino Magic
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Domino Magic
The op cannot edit his post. You lose edit abilities if someone posted after you or after 15 minutes if no one has responded yet
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Any use us creating a petition to send to all e-shops that sell his stuff? telling him we'll boycott unless they stop selling his stuff - or is that as likely to happen as Biss himself to realise what he's doing is wrong?
I've asked to be banned
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
This run of videos should put to rest any last doubts on exposure.

Doesn't seem to be any reason for not subbing unimportant methods to make his points.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Iain shops don't care so long as there are buyers. Stop buying "his" stuff. And don't let him breath if you see him on forums like this. If you are near him physically punch out his lights.
MentalistCreationLab
View Profile
Inner circle
1528 Posts

Profile of MentalistCreationLab
It is all, so very sad!
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
Quote:
On 2010-04-05 12:14, David Alexander wrote:

As there's nothing we can do to stop him as he clearly doesn't care what the community thinks, he should be ignored. That means people should not buy his products, his books, or pay any attention to him at all. Getting upset will only raise out collective blood pressure and frustrate us as there's nothing we can do except ignore him and not support his work.

David

Of course you are right.
Continuing this doesn't result in anything except for frustration and waste of time.
Ignoring James Biss and "his" material is probably the best way here.

-and I guess there are enough "I hate James Biss posts" on the Café for the point to being made for a long time.

Just forget him.
Regardless of what he has done/is doing, life moves on.
-and magic too.

Sven