The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magic...at a moment's notice! :: The tricks to teach layman? (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1781 Posts

Profile of Ross W
I did a session at cub camp and did the Jumping rubber bands which they loved, two card monte was popular too (they made the fake cards themselves with cards and glue) .
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
zmg013
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of zmg013
It almost doesn't matter. They just You Tube everything anyway.
Jon Blakeney
View Profile
Special user
Australia
657 Posts

Profile of Jon Blakeney
I teach a self working Ace assembly or stick a piece of paper on fingernail to teach the jumping paper to next finger.
'What the eye's see the heart must believe"
Felman
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Felman
Jumping rubber bands has also been the one I have taught to laymen. Even that has proven to be difficult to master for some people...
havagrim
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of havagrim
I usually show people jumping rubber band aswell. or moving cigarette for those who smoke. Sometimes if someone want to learn an easy card trick, I teach a simple key card trick. Works nice, and hopefully you encourage someone to dive deeper into the world of magic.

don't show people these stuff so often, but if someone really want to learn something, these are the ones I pick most of the time.

Ronnie
"The world is my playground"
Magician from Sweden.
Gary T.
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Gary T.
I teach them a simple card trick based on the key card concept, then direct them to the local magic shop
Thabb
View Profile
New user
Louisville Ky
4 Posts

Profile of Thabb
Only if it is a payed show and they ask me, then and only then I will do a sucker torn and restored napkin. Where more than likely, they already know how its done and the Magician still comes out on top because they restore both napkins. It works pretty good.
magicman491
View Profile
Veteran user
326 Posts

Profile of magicman491
I would probably just to a simple jumping rubber bands...
magicman491
View Profile
Veteran user
326 Posts

Profile of magicman491
Quote:
On 2012-08-11 07:34, zmg013 wrote:

This is correct, and that's what I hate about it... everytime I do a trick, they'll say, how did you do that... then they'll just say, I'll look on youtube to find out... literally EVERYONE does that ggrrrrrrrr
mndude
View Profile
Special user
884 Posts

Profile of mndude
Quote:
On 2012-12-19 08:09, magicman491 wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-08-11 07:34, zmg013 wrote:

This is correct, and that's what I hate about it... everytime I do a trick, they'll say, how did you do that... then they'll just say, I'll look on youtube to find out... literally EVERYONE does that ggrrrrrrrr

We need to post a bunch of fake tricks onto YouTube to misdirect them. Example, quarter into a bottle. "Be sure you to buy a bottle with a larger opening than normal ones from your local magic shop..."
CGillusionist
View Profile
New user
Harrison, NJ
18 Posts

Profile of CGillusionist
I'll usually teach something simple like something self working or most of the time something using a key card like "pulse"
ahattrick
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of ahattrick
I know I first got into magic by pestering my friend to finally show me how to do a trick. He showed me a very simple math trick, but from there I came back after mastering it. This repeated several times until he finally started showing me basics of good card magic (forces/controls, fake cuts, etc) eventually I started learning to find sources of my own. Following his lead with teaching, I am willing to let a persistent person something simple and not very impressive, some math trick of sort. If they are still interested after that I help them start the basics and then point them to several books and other resources so that they can go their own way with whatever type of magic they want to get specifically involved in
Digitalyosh
View Profile
New user
Southern California
76 Posts

Profile of Digitalyosh
Been active in magic around work, I've been showing people how to do the coin roll and seeing if they really follow through with it.
Current things to work on: Everything loops, Pinky count, Coins coins coins...
Andy Tauber
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver WA
106 Posts

Profile of Andy Tauber
Quote:
On 2010-05-25 18:05, Andrew Lewis wrote:
A simple rubber band trick. make the rubber jump from two fingers to the other two.

That's what I would do.
Andy Tauber

www.magicalmischief.org

Twitter: @AMagicMischief

“Children see magic because they look for it.”

I used to think I wasn't a morning person, but things never got better after lunch!
Roy the Illusionist
View Profile
Regular user
Tennessee, USA
147 Posts

Profile of Roy the Illusionist
I would teach them Hand Scam, Jumping Rubber Bands, and a couple of betchas, such as "I can make all the water on this plate go into this upside down glass."
Are you watching closely?
Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
834 Posts

Profile of Rook
I recall having my waning interest in magic sparked anew when I was a kid. I saw a magician who impressed me and I jokingly asked him if he was taking any apprentices.

At that point he taught me a simple card trick, and I was hooked for life.

I shudder to think that I may have let that spark go out. To pass on this sense of inspiration, I keep the key card principle on my 'back burner' to teach a child when asked. If he/she asks for more, I give the name of a good book and a word of encouragement.

Teaching a child a simple, single secret gives the message to some children--many of whom feel that they can't possibly be the magician-- that they indeed have potential. Most of the kids will allow that seed to fall to the wayside. For the very small percentage in which it germinates, however, it's well worth it.

-Tom
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
zactudor
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of zactudor
If someone comes up wo seems genuinely interested rather than just saying How did you do that? I agree that its best to show a simple key card trick so that they can see that they can learn one quite easily and then give them some instruction on how to take it further.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7036 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On 2010-03-20 11:12, Lloyd_SG wrote:
Hi guys

What kind of tricks will you teach to friends or
layman.

Do you prepare any simple magic trick to teach them. I like all of my magic. I find that some of the very simple magic that is taught in kids book can be as amazing as those that requires complicated gimmick or difficult sleight of hands.

I'm very reluctant to teach any magic but I thought it might also be good to teach some. Who knows this friend or layman might also hit the magic bug and be the next David Copperfield or Cyril.

So... what kinds of tricks do you think can be taught to layman?

None
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7036 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On 2012-11-13 19:13, Gary T. wrote:
I teach them a simple card trick based on the key card concept, then direct them to the local magic shop

One of the most powerful concepts in card magic.
RobFromNZ
View Profile
New user
New Zealand
99 Posts

Profile of RobFromNZ
Quote:
On 2013-07-01 19:17, zactudor wrote:
If someone comes up wo seems genuinely interested rather than just saying How did you do that? I agree that its best to show a simple key card trick so that they can see that they can learn one quite easily and then give them some instruction on how to take it further.

Hmm - dunno about that. I use the key card concept too often to want it taught to just anyone!