The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes :: Still Small Still Deadly by Paul Hallas (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
I was a packet trick junkie back in the ‘70s throughout the ‘80s. Emerson & West, Nick Trost, & Phil Goldberg were household names for me in that golden era. I collected packet tricks while others collected baseball cards and such.

I was oblivious to the fact that Paul Hallas’ “Small but Deadly” book came out in ’02 because I didn’t become a member of TMC until Feb ’05. I heard reference of it on the café but for reasons I can’t explain it wasn’t until earlier this year I broke down and purchased a copy. I would have read it in one sitting but lack of sleep forced me to put it down for the night. I promptly finished it the next day. I haven’t done that with any book in a long time, that’s how good this book is.

When I found out that the sequel came out this year I didn’t hesitate to hunt down a copy. I looked on the H&R books website and the book was already OOS (out of stock so it must be a good book I thought) so I PM’d Paul via TMC and he told me he had sent some more copies to H&R but if I was impatient he could send me a copy. As impatient I am, I PayPal’d Paul and received my copy in post haste. Thank you Paul!

Again sleep deprived me of finishing the book in one sitting. At 57 years of age, I suppose I need my beauty sleep. This book catalogs all the recent offerings in the packet trick genre and it touches base with some of the stuff that was inadvertently left out in the first book. New names, new effects from old plots are all covered here. There is gold in here people, just dig for it! Written in the usual Hallas style it is as enjoyable to read as SBD was to me the first time.

Don’t be a Johnny come lately as I was with Paul’s first offering because I believe this book will become scarce (I hope not). Thank you again Paul, for keeping the packet trick genre alive!

Cardamagically,
Dom Smile Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
magictw1
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of magictw1
Dom
paul just came out with another book it's called
still small,still deadly
more minimalistic magic meanderings
it's a great book you may have to contact paul direct
to get or check diffrent dealers on line
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6142 Posts

Profile of motown
He knows that.

Dom,

did you mean Phil Goldstein?
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
I'm sure Dom did. Max Maven is much easier to remember Smile
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Add from H&R Magic Books:

"Still Small, Still Deadly $25.00

Author: Hallas, Paul
Media: Book
Format: Paperback
Publication Summary: 2010, 183 pages

This sequel to "Small But Deadly" continues Hallas' discussion and analysis of packet effects plus routines to add to your repertoire. If you loved the first book, you'll love this one, too. Here's the blurb on the back of the book:

Card Trick Lovers Rejoice! Do you crave Wild Card routines? Twisting routines? Monte routines? Non Sleight packet effects? Packet effects with word or letter cards? Want to know more about them? Paul Hallas is back with another book every close upper needs for his book shelf.

If like many others, you loved Small But Deadly, you’re going to want this larger companion. Paul takes up where Small But Deadly left off, continuing his journey through the world of packet tricks. More references than you can shake a stick at. You’ll learn, you’ll laugh, you’ll make wiser decisions and you’ll certainly use some of the effects in this book, I guarantee it. If you haven’t already, it’s time to finally shed your packet trick inhibitions and jump into this orgy of card magic

Includes effect contributions from: Cameron Francis, David Gemmell, David Neighbors, Hideo Kato, Howard Adams, John Guastaferro, Peter Duffie, Richard Vollmer, Ryan Matney, Scott F. Guinn, William Goodwin and others.

This book is a large 8.5 x 11 inch soft cover with 183 pages."
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I like this book a lot--their are some Gr-Eight tricks in it! Smile
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Quote:
On 2010-03-19 23:46, motown wrote:
He knows that.

Dom,

did you mean Phil Goldstein?
Ooops, Yes I meant Goldstein...and as Scott has put it, there are some great effects in the book!

Cardamagically,
Dom Smile Smile

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
I loved every bit of it.

This book is for magicians who want to get away from the pick a card types of effects even performed in style

Congratulations Paul, I'm sure that this baby will go even further than his older brother. It deserves it.

Thanks
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1682 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
I am a little confuse on what is this book about.
Is it a list of packet tricks
Is it a list of packet tricks with the history of the trick
Does it has new tricks and sleights?

What am I really getting with this book?

I already have Focus, some of Scott Guinn ebooks, some of Duffie's, in getting this book I am getting same/similar material that I already have or it is something more and different?

From whom should I buy it?

Pablo
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Pablo, the book has some tricks in it fully detailed, some are new, a few contributions have appeared elsewhere, however it is not a trick book. It is a book about packet tricks. Plots are discussed and various versions of the plots referenced. Sometimes it can be seen from this how certain effects involved, where better versions can be found etc. Sometimes suggestions are made for how effects may be routined together.

You have "Focus". Some effects from there are referenced so you can see how they fit into the overall picture of plot/method development.

The book will certainly, as its predecessor,make people more aware of the variations out there on their favorite packet effects.

I suggest doing a search on the Café for a review of "Small But Deadly" which will also help give you an idea.

To answer your points:
Q) Is it a list of packet tricks?
A)There are lists of packet tricks in some chapters with discussion on some of them.
Q)Is it a list of packet tricks with the history of the trick?
A) The earliest version of the effect is often mentioned and dates of later versions often mentioned when known.

Q)Does it has new tricks and sleights?
A) There are some new tricks in the books but new sleights and moves,no. In fact common false counts are not detailed at all, the reader should have knowledge of these if seriously interested in packet tricks.

Q) What am I really getting with this book?
For the most part a reference book which will increase your knowledge base, possibly spark your creativity or motivate you to rework on packet tricks you discarded with fresh insight. It might lead you to routines which are just perfect for you. You will get from the book what you are willing to take from it. Different readers may take different things. Everyone is different. Hopefully everyone that does read it will find it a good read and a constant source of reference.

If all that is wanted is a book detailing just tricks and methods this is not the book for you.

If unsure, wait until further reviews in some of the magazines come out to help you decide if it is for you. It is intended to be a useful book, if you like packet effects the chances are you will like this book.

Paul.
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1682 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Thank you Paul, I think I'll get it, shoould I buy from you? or is any other sources for the book?
PS: Is the predecessor book still available?

Thank you ... Pablo
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
The first book is still available, but I personally don't have any copies left.
H & R Books can supply both the original book Small But Deadly and the new one, so for people wanting both it might make sense to buy both from there at the same time and thus save on postage.

The new book is only available from a few dealers and myself as it is a very small print run. It's available from me, the aforementioned H & R Books, Meir Yedid, Elmwood Magic and Fred Mitchell books. Support these guys.

I'm guessing I'll still have copies for Bob Little's next Super Sunday,(June 13th) but if the reviews come out soon I think they'll all be gone before the end of the year.

Paul.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Correction: Elmwood Magic also still have stocks of both books.
Paul.
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
I bought my copy of SBD here...
http://themagicwarehouse.com/cgi-bin/fin......rd=SMALL BUT DEADLY

Cardamagically,
Dom Smile Smile

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
The book has just been reviewed by Payne in the July 2010 issue of M.U.M. magazine. I don't personally agree with some of the criticism, but there is a good idea there I should have thought of, and it isn't the bibliography. When you send books for review the chips fall where they may... SmileBut there are good comments too, like: "I have never before seen a more concise compilation of such effects" and "it contains a treasure trove of information of value to the serious student.."

As for some of the effects buried within the text, lol, I personally love it when I find a trick I wasn't expecting. It sorts out the real readers from those that flip the pages.

More reviews are expected in other magazines soon.

Paul.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Latest excellent review appears in the September 2010 issue of The Linking Ring. Highly recommended by Paul A. Lelekis.

It was a small print run so if you've any interest in it, best not to hang about, you snooze, you lose Smile Smile

Paul.
van
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of van
Meir Yedid seems to have them & postage in US is free

http://www.mymagic.com/hallas.htm

Van
Later Ya'll

Van
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Quote:
On 2010-09-09 15:29, van wrote:
Meir Yedid seems to have them & postage in US is free

http://www.mymagic.com/hallas.htm

Van

A good deal while he has them (I know for a fact he has less than a dozen left).
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
This book is now officially OUT OF PRINT.
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
I'm glad I bought one when they were available then.

Well done Paul, it's a masterpiece.
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.