The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Gaffed & Funky :: What gimmicked decks do you Actually Use? (20 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1431 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
I like using cards for mentalism. This mentalism doesn't hit as hard as other direct reveals of personal info. But for me, it hits them so much harder than most card effects. So strangely, I usually have a way of doing something with a special deck etc....., or the same thing with a regular deck. If you see "the devil's picture book" video by D. Brown, you will see what will be very useful for regular card workers.
How you talk about what you are doing, sets the tone in the spectator's mind as to whether you are using a gaff deck or not.
His use of a one way deck is classic. Because of how he TALKS about what he will do, the spectator has no suspicion of a gaff deck.
Priceless. Again this has very good applications to regular card magic. also, too many avoid gaff decks due to a lack of a good sloppy and effective switch, with calm misdirection.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Sep 12, 2020, Jay DeLosMuertos wrote:
I used to have a deck with 1 long card in it and I want to buy another, does anyone know what that deck is called please?

I have never heard of that exact deck, but had a friend who liked using a long card so I made him one. It was a lot of work o get one just right and I soon figured out it would have been much simpler to buy a "Short Deck" and replace one card with one from a regular deck (which also gives you a deck with an equally impressive "short card" function). https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/9291 or https://www.card-shark.de/index.cfm?page......rtID=269 (I use the Phoenix Brand Cards).
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Jonah_Illusionist
View Profile
New user
Saint George, Utah
26 Posts

Profile of Jonah_Illusionist
I LOVE gaff decks, However here are the ones I use the most, I have others that I haven't put into my shows yet.

marked deck
rising Cards
stripper Deck
Svengali Deck
brain wave Deck
Shin Lim's 52 shades of red deck

Jonah
Jonmaddgician
View Profile
New user
Perth, Western Australia
72 Posts

Profile of Jonmaddgician
I carry just 2 decks for most gigs, one is stacked for a 5 card routine, into thisthatother (3 cards), into 2cm, into Red Hot/ Chicago opener, so I tend to have one odd backed card in my primary deck.

The second deck is an invisible to match my working deck, so that I can switch when appropriate (often when I go into my second lap, or as an extra for particular groups, to close my roving set). Most times I don't even end up using this deck, but it's there for when it can be relevant.

Occasionally, I like Card Toon if the gig is right for it.
thegreatscungilli
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of thegreatscungilli
One type of gimmicked deck that I do use regularly is a one way..
Jonmaddgician
View Profile
New user
Perth, Western Australia
72 Posts

Profile of Jonmaddgician
Quote:
On Oct 28, 2020, thegreatscungilli wrote:
One type of gimmicked deck that I do use regularly is a one way..

Aye I love using a one way force deck as well, because it's the perfect gag for when someone says "they're all the same" & you can actually get "busted" before asking a spectator to sign one. I also like using a blank face deck for that effect too. Smile
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
"Screwed", the amateurs can't afford it.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
PhantomStranger
View Profile
New user
Tri-State Area
97 Posts

Profile of PhantomStranger
B’wave
Invisible Deck
dbolan
View Profile
Loyal user
Carrollton, Georgia
274 Posts

Profile of dbolan
Thanks all. Just an Invisible Deck here. I appreciate everyone commenting, it helps me with anything I may be missing.
"I didn't want him to feel that he could drive the lane with impunity."

- David Robinson
livejeh
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of livejeh
Invisible deck and marked deck
Rodeo
View Profile
New user
BC, Canada
51 Posts

Profile of Rodeo
Can never go wrong with an invisible deck: foolproof and fun to perform. With my regular deck I will often carry a DB, opposite coloured back, short card, and sometimes a DF (for anniversary waltz). I have plenty of others, but they don't tend to make it into the pocket regularly.
dbolan
View Profile
Loyal user
Carrollton, Georgia
274 Posts

Profile of dbolan
Quote:
On Jan 19, 2021, Rodeo wrote:
Can never go wrong with an invisible deck...

Testify! The invisible deck is the gateway drug to getting more heavily involved in magic. Easy for a novice to learn and so good, especially if learned when magic skills aren't too broad.

Dave
"I didn't want him to feel that he could drive the lane with impunity."

- David Robinson
peirceman
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of peirceman
Memento deck
Stripper
Invisible deck, but I tend to use Daniel Madison's handling of it now.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4248 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Svengali
Mene Tekel
Mind Power
Monte Cristo
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Kassim
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Kassim
Mindpower and mastermind deck
thegreatscungilli
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Just got a couple of the new black butterfly decks, very nice. Also Stevens has some of the green DMC's on sale for a good price, I think they are closing out the green backs for the new red backs so these won't be there for long.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6778 Posts

Profile of videoman
IMHO, Any Card by Richard Sanders is one of the greatest gaffed decks ever created. I would put it ahead of even the Invisible Deck because I just enjoy performing it and it gets great reactions. Even fools those with some magic knowledge and are familiar with ID.

Sander's Alpha Deck is another really good one.
thegreatscungilli
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

A couple of others that I like, a deck with a card(s) punched also stacked deck mostly Si Stebbans.
nicetodd
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of nicetodd
Quote:
On Feb 9, 2010, Steven Keyl wrote:
What's interesting is that the average number of gimmicked decks that people OWN (from another thread) is far higher than the average number they actually USE. It's true for myself as well. I own probably 1-2 dozen gimmicked decks but only use a couple of them.

In my case, I bought a lot of these gimmicked decks when I started doing a lot of card magic but as time has gone on, I increasingly prefer to use a normal deck. It's like Allan Ackerman says, the frequency with which one performs a given effect is inversely proportional to the number of special gimmicks and props required.

If you keep switching decks in an act it can look/feel dirty. Also, there are only so many card tricks one can do in a set... combine these two = not room for more than one maybe two gaffs per set and my guess is most of us lean towards what we perform best.
Wizuriel
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Wizuriel
Diminishing returns = just started playing with this

Invisible deck = use this as both an out and as a routine with a Devils Hank to appear the imaginary deck

Card-toon = this is just fun to perform and gets good reactions

Any card just started playing with this. It has some really good ideas I want to use for other tricks