The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Everything old is new again :: Blue Phantom (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Rick11
View Profile
Loyal user
298 Posts

Profile of Rick11
Hi Chris, I decided not to because Paypal blocked the transaction. They wouldn't allow me to use a credit card because of possible fraud. However they would have allowed me to pay directly from my checking account. Paypal never gave me a full explanation as to why they blocked the transaction but I figured I didn't want to take the chance with money from my checking account if Paypal had a problem with the transaction.

Rick
MagiChrisMitch
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of MagiChrisMitch
Rick, I didn't have that problem. I used paypal and selected one of my credit card accounts and transaction was completed as usual. If time allows, I would contact paypal and explain you would like to pay the invoice using your credit card linked to paypal NOT the bank transfer. They should explain what issue they might have so you can have another opportunity to acquire this. Like I said before, it's worth it and you will not be disappointed.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Here's a bit of information that may be of interest to Blue Phantom afficianados (sp?)

The Blue Phantom was discussed in another thread sometime in the past year.

I mentioned that the late TOMMY WINDSOR of Marietta, Ohio, had published in "The New Tops Trick Annual" (1962)his CLIMAX BLUE PHANTOM. I had bought the late Roy Mayer's BP from his widow, Bernice, in the early '90s. Roy had USED his on the road (school show)and it needed some dressing up It was an OWEN. My pal, the late Bruce Jensen (Minneapolis) volunteered to do the restoration, and we decided to use Windsor's idea. It came out beautiful!

Like my grandmother's "best tea towels", it was too nice to use. I kept it for a year or so, and Bruce finally talked me into selling it to him. His widow Gigi may still have it.

If this sounds interesting, PM me and I'll put you in touch with Gigi.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
fingerflinger
View Profile
New user
Seattle, WA
57 Posts

Profile of fingerflinger
I used to own an old Blue Phantom many years ago...not sure who the manufacturer was.

In doing some internet checking, it seems the only model currently being made is the Owen model. Is this correct? I haven't found any other versions, including the close up size Blue Phantoms that are currently available.
Stu Montgomery
View Profile
Veteran user
St Petersburg FL
354 Posts

Profile of Stu Montgomery
Wayne Dobson in the UK, is having some made by Andy Hurst. Each numbered with a certificate of authenticity.
"Round about what is, lies a whole mysterious world of might be" Longfellow.
fingerflinger
View Profile
New user
Seattle, WA
57 Posts

Profile of fingerflinger
Is there any web link to an advertisement or announcement for a new production run of Andy Hurst Blue Phantoms? Any way to place a pre order for them yet?

Jess
Stu Montgomery
View Profile
Veteran user
St Petersburg FL
354 Posts

Profile of Stu Montgomery
Wayne can be contacted at: http://www.waynedobson.co.uk/
Or via his FaceBook page where there's also a link to him performing it a few years ago.
"Round about what is, lies a whole mysterious world of might be" Longfellow.
fingerflinger
View Profile
New user
Seattle, WA
57 Posts

Profile of fingerflinger
Thanks for the link...

:)

Jess
erichoudini
View Profile
Loyal user
202 Posts

Profile of erichoudini
I ordered and paid for a Blue Phantom on the magic website a couple of weeks ago, the Andy Hurst version. Despite sending several emails to see if my effect was enroute and had a Tracking Number, I have had no reply. If anyone has a phone number or email address that I can use to contact Mr. Hurst for an updat I would appreciate it. Thank you.
Eric.
erichoudini
View Profile
Loyal user
202 Posts

Profile of erichoudini
I just received my Blue Phantom from Andy Hurst. Beautiful apparatus and good instructions from Andy. The video performances on the web are great for presentation tips.
Eric.
MrPrestoHypno
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of MrPrestoHypno
Love all the history and bits of information behind this little neat mystery!
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
After this post I will have
1536 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
I ordered Andy Hurst's version of Blue Phantom this morning. In a prior email conversation, Andy quoted me 2 days before he'd be ready to ship it once the order was placed. I hope that it doesn't end up taking weeks.

FWIW, Andy said that he has Blue Phantoms in stock that are partially constructed and it takes 2 days to finish them. He didn't elaborate but I suspect the finishing time is to construct the type of tube that the customer orders. He offers 3 different tube designs and it makes sense that he wouldn't necessarily stock multiples of each design at the same time.

I ordered the Blue Holographic tube. I've got my fingers crossed that it will ship next week.

Mark
Doing tricks can be easy, being an entertainer is much harder.
bobmag56
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of bobmag56
I have/had 3 Blue Phantoms. The large Thayer/Owen, mid-size by Ed Miller (okito decor), and a mini from Germany. I sold the large size because the gimmick is not that deceptive. The mid-size is more deceptive and easier to use. I like the mini the best because it uses a different gimmick and it more deceptive and easier to perform. Bob
GeorgeG
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, CA
979 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
Blue Phantom Perfected by Wellington Enterprises is beautiful and probably the best version out there
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
1536 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Quote:
On May 5, 2019, GeorgeG wrote:
Blue Phantom Perfected by Wellington Enterprises is beautiful and probably the best version out there

I would love to own one but there were only 13 made and sold so they are now a true collector's item that commands a crazy price.

Mark
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
1536 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Quote:
On Apr 23, 2019, erichoudini wrote:
I just received my Blue Phantom from Andy Hurst. Beautiful apparatus and good instructions from Andy. The video performances on the web are great for presentation tips.
Eric.

Eric,

Are you in the U.S.? If so, did Andy Hurst credit you back the VAT you paid on the Blue Phantom? His website states that VAT is already included in the prices. Those buying from outside the European Union shouldn't have to pay the VAT. For the Blue Phantom, the VAT amount would be about $50 U.S.

Like your experience, I haven't heard anything back from Andy yet. But it was a Bank Holiday weekend in the UK, maybe that is why?

I have to admit I'm starting to get a bad feeling about this order.

Mark
erichoudini
View Profile
Loyal user
202 Posts

Profile of erichoudini
Hi Mark. I paid £240.00 for my Blue Phantom plus £20.00 Shipping. On the invoice it said beside Vat: Not Registered. My total cost for the unit was therefore £260.00 and worth every penny in my opinion. I really like the look and the functioning of my Blue Phantom. As I stated before, I was initially concerned about the lack of communication but Andy eventually got back to me to let me know the effect had been shipped and it arrived a few days later. Hope that helps. All the best.
Eric.
erichoudini
View Profile
Loyal user
202 Posts

Profile of erichoudini
Hi again Mark. I forgot to say that no, I live in Canada.
Eric.
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
1536 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Thanks, Eric. I shot an email to Andy Hurst to ask for some clarification on the subject. Hopefully it won't take too long to get a reply.

Mark
Anverdi-museum
View Profile
Inner circle
1199 Posts

Profile of Anverdi-museum
I have owned Owen's Blue Phantom as well as several other versions. This was always one of my favorite effects. A few years back at a convention I picked up a unique version called The Green Zephyr....never found out who is the builder. Attached is a brief video of me performing it:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua597lMT1VQ

Chuck