The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Everything old is new again :: Blue Phantom (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
780 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
I remember my old roommate, a very experienced magician, performing this routine in all of his shows, I never asked how it was done. Never wanted to..it was pure magic for me. But I understand that there is a version using a building...I want to say "The Architects Nightmare" but not sure. Any ideas? Also, have not been able to find a copy, is it still being made?

Thanks,

Charlie
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Here is some history behind The Blue Phantom.

It was invented by Hans Trunk, a Viennese director, sometime before WW II, possibly before WW I. I don't have the exact date. The method was revealed in Das Wunderbuch der Zauberkunst which was translated into English by J. Barrows Mussey (AKA Henry Hay) and published as Illustrated Magic. I've owned a couple of them. The ones made in the US by Thayer and Owen were, in my opinion, in my opinion, far less convincing that tne ones from Germany and Austria, because of a change in the method. The change allowed the magician to show a few of the checkers loose after the first transformation, but the gimmick was obvious from as far away as 12 feet.

My favorite is the one that was manufactured by ZZM. It was a close-up version of the original.

The name "Blue Phantom" is not an accurate translation of the original name "das blaue Wunder" which means an absolute miracle, a nasty surprise, or a real shock. It was probably named after the bridge in Dresden which bears the same name, although I see absolutely no connection at all between the two, other than the fact that the bridge has survived all sorts of disasters.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
780 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
Thanks Bill for the info. I love the effect. My friend James Hamilton does an incredible version with his, everything is perfect, right down to the music.

Charlie
GeorgeG
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, CA
979 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
If the ZZM one is the small 6 inch tall "blue phantom with metal base, it's a beautiful one and am so happy to have one in my collection...reason I didn't buy the one by Magic Wagon as I thought it was no match to the German mini version.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I think it is the most convincing one of all.

The original Hans Trunk model worked basically the same way, just larger. And the internal mechanism was manual, rather than spring-loaded.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

JL608
View Profile
Regular user
192 Posts

Profile of JL608
I agree with Bill and George that the ZZM version of the Blue Phantom is one of the nicest ever made.

However, one of the most interesting I've ever owned is this mini version (from Germany I'm told).

At the end of the routine, the cover is lifted to show that the blue checker was indeed a "phantom".

I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with this version? I'd love to know the manufacturer and obtain a copy of the original instructions.

Many thanks,

Joe
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I have never seen that one. It is very interesting. It looks like the base is the same that was used in the ZZM version, but painted with enameled rings. The colors are different, of course. The ZZM version used white checkers with a blue second checker.

I would be willing to bet that the person who came up with this version was actually an American or from England.

The Germans and Austrians never refer to this as "the Blue Phantom," so it wouldn't make any sense to them.

I'll be in Austria later this year. I'll see what I can find out about it.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

magic patagonia
View Profile
Special user
570 Posts

Profile of magic patagonia
Quote:
On 2010-03-22 11:49, JL608 wrote:
I agree with Bill and George that the ZZM version of the Blue Phantom is one of the nicest ever made.

However, one of the most interesting I've ever owned is this mini version (from Germany I'm told).

At the end of the routine, the cover is lifted to show that the blue checker was indeed a "phantom".

I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with this version? I'd love to know the manufacturer and obtain a copy of the original instructions.

Many thanks,

Joe

wow...looks very beautifull...and with a surprising and different ending...did you get info about the manufacturer??
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
No, I didn't. I actually have seen one of these before. Kenna Thompson had it in some photos he sent me. But he didn't know who made it, either.

There is a Chinese knockoff of the ZZM version. I purchased one at the TAOM convention over the Labor Day Weekend. The release is very stiff, and the tube is too rigid to do the necessary moves with.

Too bad.

Posted: Nov 20, 2010 1:36am
I saw a couple of versions of the Architect's Nightmare at NEMCA last week. Interesting.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
We found one amongst my father's stuff a few years ago.
and I never heard of it until he told my mom and I what it was.
we were going to sell but he said he wanted to keep it.

I think its because he made it himself.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
magic patagonia
View Profile
Special user
570 Posts

Profile of magic patagonia
Somebody know who manufacture and sell the Blue Phantom today??

Magic Wagon is out of stock and Owen Magic Supreme is out of my budget...

Thanks for your help!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I don't know anyone who manufactures an inexpensive version of it. You don't want the Chinese knockoff, because it's a waste of money.

You need to consider your performing venue -- close-up or stage. The Magic Wagon item is close-up. The Owen item is stage.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

flimflams
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of flimflams
I love preforming the Blue Phantom.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Update on the mini version that I thought was a Chinese knockoff of the ZZM version.

It's not Chinese. It's English. The newer ones are better than the one I purchased at the TAOM. Still, I prefer the ZZM version.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
Anyone have a ZZM or Magic Wagon Blue Phantom that they'd like to sell?

If so, please PM me. Thanks.

Robert
Rick11
View Profile
Loyal user
298 Posts

Profile of Rick11
Could someone give me advice on the Blue Phantom at emagictricks.co.uk. Is it of good quality?

Thanks for your help!

Rick
Rick11
View Profile
Loyal user
298 Posts

Profile of Rick11
Are the ones at emagictricks the English version that Bill spoke about? Does anyone have this version?

Thanks

Rick
MagiChrisMitch
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of MagiChrisMitch
Rick. It's a great one, go for it. Sent you a pm.
MagiChrisMitch
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of MagiChrisMitch
Rick, did you get your phantom yer?