The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Shuffled not Stirred :: Chapter One - Asi Wind (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
coreymartin
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of coreymartin
I really enjoyed the book and DVD. I was curious to hear what others thought about it.
----
Corey M.
iTricks.com Reviews Editor / Publisher
twitter.com/c_michaels
KLG
View Profile
Veteran user
Hong Kong
348 Posts

Profile of KLG
It's one of my best purchases this year. All the effects are great. I especially like his thinking on ACAAN.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
I really like a lot of Asi's work. Went to his lecture in Toronto a few months back and got pretty much all he was selling. Switcher is great too.

Though I am pretty certain similar work has been done on ACAAN, I think Juan mentions a specific example of someone using the idea in his book, Asi's work on it is much more than that one idea. And his work on just that one idea is actually great, and he uses it for far more than just the ACAAN.

He does a great odd backed prediction with it as well.

One of my favourite things about his ACAAN is the humour he adds with how he handles the spectator dealing. It not only adds great humour and entertainment, but actually emphasizes the fact that the magician does not touch the cards, both with the humour, and with the physical activities going on. It is a great way to present the effect. Though I strongly advise learning from it, not borrowing from it.

Funny story, when a bunch of us went out with Asi for food after the lecture and workshop (sadly I didn't attend the actual workshop portion.)
We were at a a nice, but low light restaurant sometime after midnight (took us until they were almost all places were closed to find one we all agreed on, but that's another story) and the server asked what we all were doing together.

Of course, the desire to see something came up, and Asi asked the server to name any card, and said each of us would find it. Taking the cue, many had already set to cull the card.
The server names the QH, which I'm sure some already had set to go given the commonness of the card. I had cut it to the top of the deck, and Asi pointed to me first.

Well, lot of pressure, but we are professionals and should be ready for this. I proceed to reveal the card, and turns out I culled the wrong one. It was dark, as I mentioned, and I had controlled the QD by mistake.

Well, that kinda killed everything, and I was the fool. Oh well, we had a great time, and we all edned up entertaining another table that was there, as well as the servers later in the night/morning. Good times.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
MagicMichealMan
View Profile
Veteran user
Vancouver Island, British Columbia
349 Posts

Profile of MagicMichealMan
I just got Chapter one in the mail, I watched the dvd, are the methods only in the booklet? because I would have liked to see the methods done on the tape, which I couldn't find.

Mike
Gary Plants
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of Gary Plants
This new book and DVD set from Asi Wind; a fabulous New York based magician and one of our favorite performers.

The DVD runs for 1 hour, 36 minutes and features performances of the magic from the book.

The book contains a mixture of Asi's tricks and theories on magic:
juggernought
View Profile
Regular user
200 Posts

Profile of juggernought
I liked pretty much all of what was on Chapter One. Just like others, I was particularly intrigued by his ACAAN. I like this version a lot although there have benn similar ideas!
magichunter
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of magichunter
I particulary like the "color sensing" effect. I think it is called Red & Black (imagine that). I have used it many times with reliably good impact. Doesn't require much technical skill either....it is nice to start out with a good false shuffle that retains the starting configuration of the deck. That is about it.
Count Zapik
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
205 Posts

Profile of Count Zapik
Juggernaut wrote:
I like this version [ACAAN] a lot although there have been similar ideas!

Which ACAAN method or ideas in the literature is Asi's similar to -out of interest?
I feel as if I have been whisked here from another life....it may even have been my own!
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4201 Posts

Profile of JanForster
E. g. John Born's ideas and of course Ken Krenzel's "Open and Shut Case". Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Count Zapik
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
205 Posts

Profile of Count Zapik
Thanks Jan, that is most helpful.
The Krenzel connection is interesting. [As ever Mr Krenzel has good ideas].
Has anyone an opinion as to whether the handling of the 'case' is more convincing in Asi's routine?
Has he added any new ideas to this part of the method?
I'd welcome any veiled or encrypted responses, in the interests of avoiding exposure-
but allowing me enough info to know whether it is something I might want to investigate further.
I feel as if I have been whisked here from another life....it may even have been my own!
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
4201 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Yes, of course I've an opinion. But it is really a matter of taste and context. IMHO Born's method looks the most natural. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1772 Posts

Profile of SIX
Jan, have you seen Asi do it live??
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
4201 Posts

Profile of JanForster
No, but I've read and seen "Chapter One"; it is very good, but I wouldn't take cards like that. As I said, a matter of taste and context. Smile Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Count Zapik
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
205 Posts

Profile of Count Zapik
There are so many interesting methods out there now- too many perhaps!
Indeed all the best thinking is available I suspect.
I'm not expecting the imminent NEW book to put anything remarkable on the table in terms of ACAAN-
[although I could be wrong & in any event it will be a very interesting read no doubt].
It's a question for each of us to decide the best route for ourselves.
I wonder what the particular strength of Asi's presentation is?
Magicmagician83
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Magicmagician83
Does anyone have any idea how difficult it is to riffle count ANY number of cards while they are still in the box? SHEESH! This is a terrific method but it is downright impossible unless you employ a way to easily and quickly riffle to the right number of cards without looking. Even Matthew Johnson's version is difficult. Anyone know of a method where the deck can be out on the table before the card and number are named that doesn't involve Asi Wind's method in regards to uncasing the deck?
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
4201 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Not really, but face it: The system is always cut, glimpse and adjust if necessary. The case and uncasing the deck are always a method to cover a (secret) cut. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Quote:
On 2012-05-03 07:42, Magicmagician83 wrote:
Does anyone have any idea how difficult it is to riffle count ANY number of cards while they are still in the box? SHEESH! This is a terrific method but it is downright impossible unless you employ a way to easily and quickly riffle to the right number of cards without looking. Even Matthew Johnson's version is difficult. Anyone know of a method where the deck can be out on the table before the card and number are named that doesn't involve Asi Wind's method in regards to uncasing the deck?

Asi Wind's version does not require a "riffle count" but as this is not a protected forum it wouldn't be prudent to get into methods, etc. I love this version and on the RARE occasion I do an ACAAN, this is one of the two that I perform.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
Danny Archer
View Profile
V.I.P.
Philly
609 Posts

Profile of Danny Archer
Quote:
On 2012-05-03 08:10, JanForster wrote:
Not really, but face it: The system is always cut, glimpse and adjust if necessary. The case and uncasing the deck are always a method to cover a (secret) cut. Jan

Jan is right... cut, glimpse and adjust... nothing else to do... all the other methods are complicating the basic procedure... what amazes me is the effect, though strong, is not the strongest thing you can do with a MD...
drphil
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of drphil
Don't you mean glimpse , adjust then cut. Once the cut is done you Hand the deck out to be counted too. No adjustment is needed after the deck is cut.
Steve Haynes
View Profile
Inner circle
Southeastern United States
1119 Posts

Profile of Steve Haynes
Estimated cut/shift,glimps.
Adjust if needed.

Using the box(how I do it anyway)estimate,glimps,thumb count if needed,remove stepped,cut/shift.