The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: THE MAGIC MENU - The International Journal for Close-Up Magicians :: Autumn 2009 - Comments or Questions? Redux :: TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jim Sisti
View Profile
V.I.P.
Connecticut
457 Posts

Profile of Jim Sisti
Since the original thread was derailed (and (***sigh***) subsequently locked as a result - gee, what a surprise!), let's try it again. If there's anything about the new issue you'd like to talk about, please post it here.
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1908 Posts

Profile of slyhand
I though we were doing that.

I am afraid to say anything for fear of it happening again.
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5697 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Don't fear posting your thoughts. It was quite clear the other thread got way OFF TOPIC and got out of hand. We're all up for positive or negative feeback...but the other thread just exploaded.

Converse...

Christopher
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Poppy7
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Poppy7
Quote:
On 2009-10-30 22:38, Jim Sisti wrote:
Since the original thread was derailed (and (***sigh***) subsequently locked as a result - gee, what a surprise!), let's try it again. If there's anything about the new issue you'd like to talk about, please post it here.

In a word: EXCELLENT!!
DanielGreenWolf
View Profile
Veteran user
Waterbury, CT
363 Posts

Profile of DanielGreenWolf
In response to something from the first thread, I would indeed be interested in making a video for the website. The finesse of "Ghost Card" is a bit of a knack and a video might be just the thing to bring light to it.

It does work best with a new / well preserved deck. That tip might help a bit.
-Much love,
Daniel GreenWolf
Celtic Magician

www.GreenWolfMagic.com
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1908 Posts

Profile of slyhand
That would be great. I can't seem to get it to move at all.
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1040 Posts

Profile of bsears
Jim - I just went back and read the locked thread, and I have to say my respect for you has only grown. Cheers to you for allowing different voices (like Tom's) to be heard! Now that I have an idea of how you are steering this ship, I think I'll jump on board. That locked thread may be the best advertising you get all year Smile
Jim Sisti
View Profile
V.I.P.
Connecticut
457 Posts

Profile of Jim Sisti
Thanks, Brett. I needed a couple of encouraging words right about now.

Much appreciated!

Jim
Victor Brisbin
View Profile
Elite user
Washington, DC / NOVA
432 Posts

Profile of Victor Brisbin
A question for Daniel Greenwolf: just curious, is your green triangle a tattoo or theatrical makeup? Thanks. I like Ghost Card. I can't do it yet, but I like it.
"It is better to practice a little than talk a lot." - Muso Kokushi
DanielGreenWolf
View Profile
Veteran user
Waterbury, CT
363 Posts

Profile of DanielGreenWolf
The Green triangle is theatrical makeup. I started using it as a homage to the Celts who would paint their faces to distinguish who they were in their tribes (Also to scare the Mary Hell out of their enemies in battle).

I've gotten a few messages from folks saying that they got the knack down. I certainly think I'll be talking to Jim shortly about posting a video for subscribers to The Menu.

My other piece of advice is that the movement must be VERY slow and VERY Subtle. At first, take longer than you think you should while performing the move and your patience should be rewarded. Smile
-Much love,
Daniel GreenWolf
Celtic Magician

www.GreenWolfMagic.com
AmazingKeithy
View Profile
New user
Round Rock, Texas
99 Posts

Profile of AmazingKeithy
Mr. Sisti and Crew,

Bottom Line: If the whole of each issue were dedicated to “Magic In Review”, that would be enough for me to continue to subscribe. Why? Because the reviews appear to be of effects geared towards the environment in which I have experienced the most joy while sharing the magic – restaurants (bars...).

Mr. Zacharia is on point in his review of DJT's effect “How Sweet It Is”. I have experience performing this effect in a restaurant environment and can vouch for it's amazing impact. Your audience will remember you forever for this effect alone. I think this effect has been available to the magic community for five plus years. I mention this because it gives me optimism that Mr. Zacharia won't be reviewing just the latest (not so greatest) but is willing to go back in time to alert his readers to effects of which they need to be aware. Kudos to Dan Doyle for reminding us of Michael Close's treasure trove of thinking and material as well.

I look forward to learning from the experience of the array of Workers Mr. Sisti has lined up. Through them we have an opportunity to think through our approach to unique performing challenges before we actually encounter them ourselves ( i.e. What do you do for the couple sitting in their wheelchairs at a table in the restaurant who also seem to have very limited use of their hands? Do you avoid them or play the role of goodwill ambassador for your employer? I chose UNSHUFFLED because it is an amazing/engaging effect that doesn't require any handling of the props by your spectators. They loved it.)

Looking forward to consuming every word of future issues.

Keith
Jim Sisti
View Profile
V.I.P.
Connecticut
457 Posts

Profile of Jim Sisti
Keith:

Thanks for the kind words.

Your article idea is a good one because those of us who do this kind of work - the Menu's core constituency - run into things like this all the time. Just last night, there was an autistic child at one table who was acting out, yet the parents called me over to do something for him. (I take it by your solution of doing Unshuffled that you've answered your own question about avoiding or performing for special needs guests - and good for you for choosing the latter!)

Again, I truly appreciate your taking the time to post. After last week's fiasco, it's good to get some constructive feedback.

Best,

Jim
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Jim, I'm curious, what did you choose to perform for the autistic child.

-Mary Mowder
Jim Sisti
View Profile
V.I.P.
Connecticut
457 Posts

Profile of Jim Sisti
Hi Mary:

I did a very brief sponge rabbits routine which he responded to very positively.

Best,

Jim
Mark Zacharia
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of Mark Zacharia
Dear Keith:

Thank you for the kind words about the product review section of The Menu. I am just one oar in the water: it is Jim who keeps The Menu on course reminding the columnists that our mantra is "practicality for the working magician." I am gratified by the response The Menu has received in its newest incarnation and look forward to hearing from readers as we continue onward.

Respectfully,

Mark Zacharia
Mark Zacharia
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1788 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
1st let me say great service placed the order on Friday recieved it on Monday, 1 business day unheard of anymore!! I loved the content & variety, I am not looking for professional prose layers just thoughtful content and totally loved the lack of ads, hopefully this will continue to be economically viable for Mr. Sisti. Tom Frank's column was probally my favorite as I enjoy his insight at the gut level plus a little biased as I had an opportunity to get to know him on a personal level a few years ago & enjoyed knowing that he was not a BS kind of guy, just honest & very talented.
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
Darn I need more controversy in my next sculpture....

Someone said it look rude at one point .... does that count?
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
How about a guest worker? We have a magician here in Columbus named Carroll Baker who bills himself as the hardest working magician in the city, and he means it! He went from performing for 6 restaurants to none when the management decided to cut expenses and he ended up on the list. Within a month or so, he managed to get entirely new gigs to compensate for the loss. Now THAT would make for interesting reading!

As for me, I am not a working pro, but I found the article about YOU being the magic, not the tricks, quite interesting. Too many magicians think it is all about the tricks. Nearly all the other articles were equally good!

I have already requested that the local shop owner get the two books containing the past issues. If this one issue is an indicator, you have really produced a winner.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Hi MagiClyde,

Thanks for the kind words about my article. I hope you enjoy mt contribution in the upcoming issue as much.

Warm Regards,

Scott
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1043 Posts

Profile of patrick flanagan
[quote]On 2009-11-06 08:46, Jim Sisti wrote:

Again, I truly appreciate your taking the time to post. After last week's fiasco, it's good to get some constructive feedback.

Sorry, I just saw this one. This is laughable, at best. A differing opinion, presented properly, with the intention of helping to make something better, is generally regarded as "constructive" feedback. Maybe you were just looking for "constructive" praise.
I'll continue to go on record that of the hundreds of books in my magic library, the MAGIC MENU (years 1-10) are still the two books I refer to more than any other.
patrick