The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: When posting about ring and string or ring and rope effects (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I posted this in a response in another topic, but I think it bears repeating here, where hopefully more people will read it.

There is a pretty big difference between finger ring and string routines (Relentless, Ring Leader, Ray Grismer, etc) and large harness ring (or even solid linking ring) and rope routines (Full Circle, David Williamson, Eric DeCamps, etc).

It always better to give more information rather than less, both when asking the question and giving the answer.

I suggest that in the future, as many of us as possible specify whether we're talking about a finger ring or a large (harness) ring, both in asking questions and in giving answers / resources. It make things so much clearer and easier for everyone concerned, as there is confusion in almost every topic of this type.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9997 Posts

Profile of funsway
I also do effects with small harnness rings 11/2-2" and bracelet sized 3-31/2" inches, and even rings smaller than than finger size. So, yes we need more clarification from posters as to size of ring employed, but 'finger' and 'large' doesn't suffice either.

Surely this problem has been explored before somewhere and there is a ready classification available.

maybe Tiny, Finger, Small, Wrist, Large and Body sizes.

And then there are napkin rings ...
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Good point Scott. Perhaps this can be made into a sticky topic so it can stay at the top.

Larry
Hugh Entwistle
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of Hugh Entwistle
I agree, rings are often misinterpreted in size when being talked about in forum.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Excellent point,Scott!
I am mainly interested --and "do"--a couple of finger ring bits, and a couple of 3 1/2" ring "things". Over the years, I've winnowed out what appeals to, and works best, for me. (selfish, eh?) I do hate to spend a lot of time reading through a method (a few of our esteemed colleagues have a communications problem when it comes to "technical" writing!)only to learn that the method requires a size ring that is not "compatible" with the props that I normally use. I second Larry's motion! --let's make this a STICKY!

Now that I've "joined this show", I'll try to contribute a bit or two that I've been using for about 50 years. I have in mind, an idea by the late Walt Rollins. It was a very neat technique for the Jack Chanin SEFALALJIA concept that Denny Loomis showed me about 1964. --Yes, I know that Stewart James was the "inventor" of the sefalaljia (I think in the '30s) principle. Chanin "put out" a ribbon or rope penetration from a "square" ring. I think Liko Pang did it at an Abbott GTG, and it got called the "Get Together Ring Off" (?) Rollins had a neat "tweak" in which a natural move did the work. There, that's a fairly good "teaser"!!!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
204rags
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of 204rags
This is not about finger size rings, but is with rings. I started using four, two inch metal rings in my Cords of Phantasma stand up trick a few years ago. The reason I did was because of the effect when the metal rings clang down on the floor ---- the sound of the rings banging on the floor is much better then silk hankerchiefs of whatever size floating soundlessly to the floor.
roguewave
View Profile
New user
IL
88 Posts

Profile of roguewave
This is a good point to bring up. Speaking of rings, I recently went to Hobby Lobby for the first time in years and there is a huge collection of things that could help out any working magician or hobbyist. In particular I saw a huge variety of metal rings in various types of metals (+ other materials) and sizes. I don't do a ton of ring work, but they have a perfect ring for me to pass over stuff that I plan to levitate. I'm not sure where most of you get your rings and ropes but their selection is huge and their prices are pretty fair, to my eyes.
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
Finger and large can apply if a routine were built aroun a giant or possibly a circus performer with an unusually large finger.
Some were able to pass a half dolar through their circumference.

then too, a cord or string could be associated with the gordian knot.

Another large ring was worn around the neck of Roman soldiers going into battle. it was a bronze ring called the Ring of Hercules, and was said to endow its wearer with the strength of ten men.

I personally own an ancient ing of Hercules, but still struggle to open certain jars of jam, etc.

Kotah
BobMillerMAGIC!
View Profile
Regular user
MN
105 Posts

Profile of BobMillerMAGIC!
Quote:
On Oct 19, 2009, Scott F. Guinn wrote:
I posted this in a response in another topic, but I think it bears repeating here, where hopefully more people will read it.

There is a pretty big difference between finger ring and string routines (Relentless, Ring Leader, Ray Grismer, etc) and large harness ring (or even solid linking ring) and rope routines (Full Circle, David Williamson, Eric DeCamps, etc).

Thanks for mentioning Relentless. For anyone interested it is once again available, now as a streaming download at https://www.bobmillermagic.biz
PreDate: The NoMem Calendar Trick
http://www.BobMillerMagic.biz