The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Helping hands :: Want to become an assistant (please read entire post) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
nicolewilliams00
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of nicolewilliams00
Let me start off by being honest. I am a male who is a crossdresser and I have always wanted to be a magicians assistant. Make that a female assistant.

I know this will bother some people and offend some others but let me be clear, this isn't about indulging in some fetish, or having the opportunity to mince about the stage in a sequined dress. I have always been in awe of magic and some of my fondest memories as a kid were watching the magic specials on television. I loved everything about it and was especially enthralled by the grace and beauty of the assistants. I always thought about what it would be like to perform, but never had the chance.

I know this is a unusual post for a forum like this, and I have no illusions about the challenges facing me to fulfill such a dream. I know that men typically are not used as assistants because of their size, and the idea of a man in drag, even a really pretty one, is off putting and offensive to some. All I am asking for is some advise, and perhaps a chance to try this.

I am in Ohio, but travel worldwide on business. I own several costumes, have taken ballet in the past (and would love to start again), and am a theatrical lighting designer by trade. I would love to hear from any and all about your thoughts and/or opportunities.

Nicole
nicolewilliams00 (at) yahoo-dot-com

Click here to view attached image.
Servaas Koomen
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of Servaas Koomen
Very cool. love the fact that you express yourself.

I'm not a stage perfomer, so I cannot help you. but I wish you the best of luck.

I'm sure there are free-minded people here for you
"The last three or four reps is what makes the muscle grow. This area of pain divides the champion from someone else who is not a champion. That's what most people lack, having the guts to go on and just say they'll go through the pain no matter what" A.
griffindance
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of griffindance
Unless you are performing to a specific audience I don't see how to make this work for you.
Men are men, women (please finish the sentence yourself). Although I have known the occassional guy (always short and physically flexible) it is difficult to use a man as an assistant given the normal narrative to an illusion. Not impossible but uncommon.
Granger
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Granger
Very brave indeed. Do what you like and I support you Smile
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
I would have thought being a cross-dressing assistant could be a huge selling point to a show. Attitudes have changed so much recently and people want to see something different. I think you might be onto a winner Smile
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12999 Posts

Profile of John C
So what's different these days about a cross dresser?
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
Quote:
On 2013-02-07 19:26, John C wrote:
So what's different these days about a cross dresser?

How exactly do you mean?
DavidThomas
View Profile
Loyal user
241 Posts

Profile of DavidThomas
This would be a tough sell in most markets. The could be some "niche" markets that you could look into. Burlesque clubs are popping up, also the drag shows could be a possibility.
David Thomas
TheWorldofMagic.com